Mastering with Ozone?!

Shaun Werle

Dec 30, 2009
Brodheadsville PA
Hey guys, I haven't been on here in a while but anyway I have a lot of mixes to get finished up and started, I just recently started using ozone to master my tracks but, I need some help getting to know it, and how to use it well. Believe i have done my share of messing around with it, But i can't find a tutorial or anything anywhere really going into depth with it.

Current problem is my mixes don't loud enough, my kick gets drowned out.

I would really like if someone could give me there two sense on it, like Harmonic Exciter, and Multiband Dynamics. Or just how everything works together.

Also if someone would like to give me some mixing suggestion before i even hit the mastering. I try to add a tad more volume with Gclip, doesn't work out to well.

As for mixing, what Rms level should i get it to before i even start mastering?
Should i trim the peaks with a clipper or something?

I am going for an overall consistent -10Rms level
I can get it close but when i match it up to other mixes it just feels lower in volume and plain.

Overall confused. Please help thank you!
:loco:

I'm not familiar with Ozone, but I think a compressor and limiter/maximizer on the master bus should help. Light compression on each individual track to keep it from pumping too much.

No offense man. But I just spend this last week researching your exact question. There is a stupidly massive amount of information in the archive here at this forum. Every question you asked can be found, and each time you find an answer, a new question will pop up and that info is there too. With the info that is here at this forum, I believe you could mix and master damn near a major label release.

Yeah dude post some examples like the mix track, and then the master track so we can help you more, for all we know it can be the mix which needs to be changed.

No offense man. But I just spend this last week researching your exact question. There is a stupidly massive amount of information in the archive here at this forum. Every question you asked can be found, and each time you find an answer, a new question will pop up and that info is there too. With the info that is here at this forum, I believe you could mix and master damn near a major label release.

Non taken, but if you have spent a week searching than i thought by posting a thread i could get some direct questions answered, I don't have a week to sit down and look shit up, I have to mix bands and i have some session coming up.
I will look because no one in this thread has helped so far. I help others out even know there's tons of the same shit all over the forum. I also did a quick search typed ozone in the search went threw two pages and didn't get much luck. Hence half the reason of this thread.

I'm not familiar with Ozone, but I think a compressor and limiter/maximizer on the master bus should help. Light compression on each individual track to keep it from pumping too much.

that's what ozone is.. it has multiband compression and is a limiter/clipper

OP: use the loudness maximizer, set the ceiling to -.3, turn the character down to 1.0 or lower, bring down the threshold, and enjoy your loudness

I also mix into a master bus compressor like the Waves SSL bus comp before it hits ozone to give it some mix glue

Non taken, but if you have spent a week searching than i thought by posting a thread i could get some direct questions answered, I don't have a week to sit down and look shit up, I have to mix bands and i have some session coming up.
I will look because no one in this thread has helped so far. I help others out even know there's tons of the same shit all over the forum. I also did a quick search typed ozone in the search went threw two pages and didn't get much luck. Hence half the reason of this thread.

its pretty frustrating when you look through threads and cant find the info you are after so post one hoping for some direct help, only to have the typical 'search function - use it' comments thrown back at you.

or www.lmgtfy.com

sometimes all it would take is a couple of seconds for someone to help you with your problem but instead they give you that rubbish. i'm with you dude, even if it is a stupid question I would always try and help rather than posting elitist bullshit.

/rant

Ah ok. Somebody should explain the whole plugin. NOW! And FAST!

Like ttrentt said, I don't see a specific question too...

But somebody should chime in and explain:
-EQ's
-Reverb
-Multiband Comps
-Exciter
-Stereo imager

:Spin:

Ah ok. Somebody should explain the whole plugin. NOW! And FAST!

Like ttrentt said, I don't see a specific question too...

But somebody should chime in and explain:
-EQ's
-Reverb
-Multiband Comps
-Exciter
-Stereo imager

-EQ's - The most important mastering tool
-Reverb - Not needed
-Multiband Comps - Maybe - don't screw up your mix
-Exciter - Not needed
-Stereo imager - Not needed

its pretty frustrating when you look through threads and cant find the info you are after so post one hoping for some direct help, only to have the typical 'search function - use it' comments thrown back at you.

or www.lmgtfy.com

sometimes all it would take is a couple of seconds for someone to help you with your problem but instead they give you that rubbish. i'm with you dude, even if it is a stupid question I would always try and help rather than posting elitist bullshit.

/rant

This is crap. In all honestly, 99% of questions on this forum are answerable by searching. There is a MASSIVE amount of info in the archieves. Don't act so stupid that you can't access it.

Instead of spending more time posting your question, or bitching that people won't answer, learn to use the search. The majority of my posts are bumping necro threads looking to further an answer, or to understand it more.

There is so much shit on the internet in concern with this plug.

PLUS.

Without at least a sample of the mix, suggestions at this point are moot.
Current problem is my mixes don't loud enough, my kick gets drowned out.

To fucking vague, there is no way to help anyone out without knowing what they are doing wrong.

If you want my "sense" about it. I'm gonna tell you to keep working with the plug till you learn what everything does a little better. Use your ears, watch some youtube vids, google some articles, and read the manual.

EQ the most important? Care to open up a little about it? I always thought it would be compression

nah, compression only became important since everyone thinks mastering is "making it loud". that's not what mastering is about (well, it's not what is was/should be about).
I'd say the main goal is to balance the mix out across the spectrum, to have an even mix that sounds good on many systems, sometimes you'll need compression for that to tuck some things into place (usually something between 0.5 and 1 dB GR will do).
That's why mastering on your hs50 doesn't make ay sense, you'll need a perfectly layed out/balanced room with great speakers.

mastering now: make it as loud as possible. EQ is only used to reduce some spikes to give the limiters more headroom to work with to make it even louder.
compressors are used to reduce the RMS...make it even louder.
oh, and then we have the clippers....to make it even louder.

everyone can make it loud, but that's not what mastering should be about.

nah, compression only became important since everyone thinks mastering is "making it loud". that's not what mastering is about (well, it's not what is was/should be about).
I'd say the main goal is to balance the mix out across the spectrum, to have an even mix that sounds good on many systems, sometimes you'll need compression for that to tuck some things into place (usually something between 0.5 and 1 dB GR will do).
That's why mastering on your hs50 doesn't make ay sense, you'll need a perfectly layed out/balanced room with great speakers.

mastering now: make it as loud as possible. EQ is only used to reduce some spikes to give the limiters more headroom to work with to make it even louder.
compressors are used to reduce the RMS...make it even louder.
oh, and then we have the clippers....to make it even louder.

everyone can make it loud, but that's not what mastering should be about.

+ 1

only thing i cant really say its a must is a room with great speakers.
most mes work that way, thats true. but there is a world class me i work with very often and he only uses headphones. but thats because of his experience. i wouldnt recommend mastering on headphones if you havent had 40 years of experience (like this guy) ;-)

mastering has become the "make it loud" part of music production.
i actually like the sound of maximized audio material,
but i dont like the soudn of "over-overmaximized" stuff.

listen to linkin parks meteora. mastering was done by sterling sound.
its loud as fuck. but what happened to the snare ?
there is no impact in the whole mix. i actually did a cover of one of the songs mastering with fg - x and gotthe same loudness with as much punch and impact as i wanted. but its hard to tell when to stop.