Mastering

Bryantnick

Jun 15, 2010
Just to start off all your masters sound amazing, my real question is how much of of that is in the actually mixing of the song? And what parts of the mastering process really bring out the overall sound of the song?

I think in the fact thread he said that he is mixing and mastering side by side along with tracking.
So what I think that means is, when the ban starts tracking and he starts to fiddle with the mix until he thinks it fits the band but he when is mixing he would notice something that the master would need and would fix it and vice versa.

Yeah. Hey told me at one point that he mixes and masters at the same time. He never makes a change in the mix without checking it against the master.

This is totally how to do it, I mix tweaking the master and master tweaking the mix! Then bounce out to stereo session for topping and tailing

I just recently began to mix into my master compression and have found the results to be much better than when master and mix as two separate processes. For future reference though do you guys mix into your entire mastering chain, or just some pieces of it?

always mix into my mastering chain. ssl buscomp for the glue, fgx or ozone for loudness, manley massive passive for filtering out the low low end,
adding some sparkle at 16khz. if you want super loud masters, its crucial to check what all the elements will do to the masterbus limiter/clipper.

Can we, for a bit, talk about setting up the multiband on the master chain.
I feel like I overdo it.
Also, do you guys toss on your multiband compressor while you're still mixing?

I feel like I overdo it.

I've always added a multiband compressor after mixing, and just used it to tighten the low end. So not very extreme settings

I'd say purely from my own experience you're better off having a rough chain in place and just ab'ing every so often as opposed to mixing completely into it, and sending your work to an external mastering engineer (if its not your own stuff). It's not so much the greater level of skill and equipment (although that definitely helps) but a second set of ears on things can sometimes be invaluable!

Edit: Try and get it done locally so you can attend the sessions! You can learn some truly awesome things.

Haha thanks man, but I think everything I have done thus far sucks! I've just finished something that's getting mastered on Friday that I'm semi happy with, but I'm sure that will change :p

your welcome dude I really the stuff on you studio..you should coach me to help me get that sort of sound

I feel like I overdo it.

I never use a multiband in the mastering chain. If I want something "tighter" I do it on the channel strips

Like the guys above, I also mix into my mastering chain

Multiband comp should really be used as a last resort, and more for mastering stuff where you don't have access to the mix. Just try to work with a nice eq, good standard comp and whatever your loudness method is, keep it simple! Mastering is only supposed to be like a fine coat of gloss over the mix, not for mix rescue!

What? I use c4 on my master chain all the time. I love what it can do to a mix as a whole.

Please note that I do use it very lightly but it is always there

I always mix into a mastering chain. After a while, you get used to it. It causes you to make changes in a controlled way. If someone says something should be louder, instead of reaching for the fader, you're looking at the channel to see why its not loud enough. You make changes from there. Perhaps it doesn't have enough low mid's or not enough treble. There's always an explanation to why its not audible. When you mix into a mastering chain, you have to be aware that turning things up too loud is a very bad thing, because you're working against a compressor which is altering the perception of volume constantly.

Generally, how much work would your 2bus compressor be doing, I'm just curious because I usually will mix into the SSL Gcomp on the master bus, but at a very modest ratio of 2.1, really fast attack and release settings. I guess my question is how much compression could I get away with mixing into before I start to absolutely smash my mix?