circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Mastodon – Blood Mountain
Reprise Records – 44450-2 – September 12th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

mastodonbm.jpg

The more I listen to Blood Mountain, the less enamored I become with Mastodon’s follow-up to one of the most celebrated records of the past few years – Leviathan. Whereas Remission and Leviathan were immediately likeable and only ballooned in worth after repeated listens, the band’s major label debut has more holes than it first lets on, and those holes gradually expand each time the disc gets replayed.

Perhaps expectation ran too high for the 70-minute record, but with the buzz generated by the metal community, occasional glimpses (cover art, mp3s, etc.) at Blood Mountain, and the idea that Mastodon were capable of surpassing a masterpiece, the level of anticipation was off the charts and basically an inevitable development. So besides the superb artwork, lofty lyrical concept, and instrumental prowess, how does this differ from its predecessor? There’s no orgasm-inducing epic like “Hearts Alive,” and there’s no brief juggernaut like “Blood & Thunder.” For reasons unbeknownst to me, the above complaints remained at the forefront of my mind ever since finishing BM for the umpteenth time.

If Mastodon were ever in need of a professional vocalist, though, the time is now. While it would alter their overall sound (and approach) dramatically, the raspy utterances of Troy Sanders (bass) and Ozzy-esque, clean wails of Hinds (guitar) simply don’t cut it. Momentary respite is provided, however, by the guest appearances of Scott Kelly (Neurosis) on “Crystal Skull,” Joshua Homme (Queens of the Stone Age, ex-Kyuss) on “Colony of Birchmen,” and Cedric Bixler-Zavala (The Mars Volta, ex-At the Drive-in) on “Siberian Divide.” Still, the emotions that seep out of “Sleeping Giant” and “Colony of Birchmen” come across as heartfelt, and a few of the tracks (“Hunters of the Sky,” “Hand of Stone,” and others) just plain rock. Rousing tunes such as “The Wolf Is Loose” and “Crystal Skull” are both very good and successfully rival former entries in the group’s discography.

Conversely, the periodic failed experimentation, occasional inadequate transitions, and the inclusion of a few forgettable tracks decisively squelches the idea of Mastodon being able to deliver an album impervious to reasonable, fair criticism. Maybe it’s the fact that Blood Mountain seems like a weaker beast to me. At any rate, a lot of the material is great, but I found myself enjoying parts of songs and not whole songs, which is not a good sign.

So overall, BM is an above average disappointment that doesn’t even come close to surpassing their full-length swansong. Again, however, there’s a lot to like and there’s a lot to dislike. While the 45-minute, making-of DVD is entertaining, casual fans should probably just swing for the cheaper package as it delivers enough value for the money, but less than the optimal amount.

7/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Mastodon Website
Official Reprise Records Website

Great review there, sir. I can't say I liked Remission, Leviathan, or Call of the Mastodon, but this review almost makes me want to check it out.... almost.... ahh just kidding! I never really saw anything that special about Mastodon.. :)

I've enjoyed the first few songs off this, but haven't heard the rest. Bummer that it isn't as good as Leviathan

this band, while oozing individual talent, is nothing special songwriting wise ... smart marketing brought them to the masses ...
but they will sink bank to the underground as fast as they rose.

Their live show is what's getting them success. I quite enjoy the new one. but I do agree, Leviathan is much better all-round.

BM is totally differten, especially in the vocals duties, but I like it a lot! True, it needs to grow on you and there are one or two lesser songs. Still Mastdodon is one of those bands that totally has their own distinctive sound! Horns up!

I liked Leviathan and having given this a listen I'd probably say this review was slightly generous but a 6 wouldn't have been too far off the mark (bear in mind people that we are running on the UM's Review Rating Scale which has (very unsurprisingly as its in the middle) a 5 as an average). An 8 for this album is pretty much a must-own and that I don't agree with, if however we were marking the live versions of these it might be a different story.