Mastodon - Crack the Skye

Just got this today and am listening to it now. I am really enjoying thus far. Boy, they have come a long way since Remission and it's not like that was a long time ago. Enjoying this one more than Blood Mountain to be honest. Although the vocals are still the weaker point, I don't mind them here. At least it allows them to open up their repotoire a touch more.

I like the album. Also, I am holier than all of thou :p

Considering I don't think any of you consider yourselves holy, is it a fair statement?

Just picked this up. Great album.

Here's a little review from me for anyone who's interested.

Cheers!

You know, Troy is only one of three vocalists in this band. Brent sings at least as much as Troy does on this album.

I love this record. To me it's their best one yet. Honest and well crafted music.

Hi guys,

Yesterday I´ve bought a sealed copy of the Blood Mountain colored vinyl. I payed 40 dollars.It´s my fave Album from Mastodon. The other albums are also very good, but it was important for me to have a vinyl version of Blood Mountain and I was very happy about that.

Was the price ok or to much?

Hi guys,

Yesterday I´ve bought a sealed copy of the Blood Mountain colored vinyl. I payed 40 dollars.It´s my fave Album from Mastodon. The other albums are also very good, but it was important for me to have a vinyl version of Blood Mountain and I was very happy about that.

Was the price ok or to much?

Well if you were willing to pay that price for it, I don't think it is too much. I once paid A$80 for the US first pressing of Swervedriver's Mezcal Head, but I think it is worth it seeing as it is long out of print.

Excellent musicians and very good songwriting. But, something about this record doesn't grab me. I don't know exactly what it is. It doesn't have a strong replay value for me. That may change with time and subsequent listens.

got this from an article in this month's Rolling Stone:

Dailor, a sardonic, perpetually straight-faced blond guy, looked to his childhood for inspiration: He says his first step-dad was a druggie who hit and choked him, his mom, and his sister, Skye. His mom sang in a cover band that specialized in Rush; Stepdad was the drummer. "I was coming home from school, and my mom was doubled over on the fuckin' carpet looking for coke," says Dailor'

'The worst of it came when Dailor was 15 and already playing in his first band, Maniacal Rage. His sister, who had always been defiant in the face of the abuse ("She was always getting the real brunt of the stuff because she would just be up in the dude's face, like 'Fuck you!'") had a humiliating encounter with some bullies one day. She went home and took a lethal dose of painkillers from her mother's drawer.

Something inside Brann broke when he found out. "I let out this giant scream, my knees buckled, and I fell down," he recalls. "So that's the crack in the sky, that's the reason the album's called Crack the Skye. It's for that moment you find out someone close to you is gone.

"One night, Dailor dropped acid and went to the cemetery: "She was freshly buried, and I tried to dig and get in there with her, and take the fucking tomb off." The Skye track "The Czar" includes the line "I see your face in constellations." "Thats from me laying in the dirt and staring up at the stars and seeing her face, and knowing that she was telling me to stop." After that, he spent a month in a mental institution. "When I listen to Crack the Skye, and it gets to certain spots, it kills me. I don't even know why I did that to myself. It's just what came out. It needed to be written.""

some heavy shit right there.

tbh this album is getting heavy plays, especially in ein vehicle. at least once or twice a day usually.

The title-track came up on shuffle today. I'm still getting use to it - you know, the familiarity - but of course Scott Kelly's voice is there at the start, and I was having trouble figuring out which bloody Neurosis album I was listening to, let alone which song it was. And then the double kick drums and stuff came in and whigged me out - because I knew it couldn't be Neurosis. Then the next vocals came in and it finally clicked that it was the new Mastodon. I put down the phone, hanging up on the asylum's self-commital hotline just in time. Crisis averted.

Excellent musicians and very good songwriting. But, something about this record doesn't grab me. I don't know exactly what it is. It doesn't have a strong replay value for me. That may change with time and subsequent listens.
It has changed. Last night, listening to this record, it kicked me in the balls. I love when music does this, the first few listens are meh, then after awhile it hits you. Just might be the best record so far in 2009.

Loved the music, fantastic stuff, though I haven't listened to it enough to really absorb it like I have their other albums. I found the mix just to be plain bad however, it was to the point where it kept distracting me while trying to really get into the music. I kept finding myself thinking about how horribly muddy and mushed together the whole thing was instead of thinking about all the musical badassery that was going on. :erk:

The band has said many times that they loved recording near home, so I'm all for that, but I am hoping they find a different local studio next time.