\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Mastodon - Leviathan
Relapse Records - RR66822 - 2002
By Paddy Walsh

mastodonleviathan.jpg

Oh Mastodon, how I had gotten you all wrong. I have to hold up my hands in shame and admit that I never bothered with Remission; dismissing the band's critical acclaim as over enthusiastic media baiting for the 'next big thing', I passed off Mastodon as another one of the growing ranks of metalcore clones. How wrong I was. Leviathan not only proves how much of a silly git I am, it is also one of the best metal albums of 2004, pissing over almost everything in its path. I kid thee not.

Kicking off with the mighty 'Blood and Thunder', Mastodon waste no time in kicking your ass, with a gargantuan riff that Iommi himself would have been proud of. Drum fills cascade about the place like a spazzed-out jackhammer while the vocals have an immediacy and clarity that, while still containing the necessary force, are varied, and fit perfectly the many twists and turns in evidence throughout. Things only improve with the hulking 'I Am Ahab', while 'Seabeast' sees some perfectly placed clean vocals thrown into the mix. Want avant-garde? Then check out 'Megalodon' with it's mid-section southern guitar twang giving way to a thrash workout reminiscent of Metallica's 'Creeping Death'.

And I could go on all night about the huge variety of mangled riffs, pulverising drums and beefed up vocals till I ran out of adjectives. The fact remains that Leviathan is a huge piece of work that commands your attention. It's incomparable to anything that's out there today, and this metalcore tag that lumps them in with Killswitch Engage and their ilk is so far off the mark that it's ridiculous. Just give this a spin, dispense of outside influence (including this one), sit back and enjoy.

9/10

Mastodon's Official Website
Relapse Records' Official Website

was massively disappointed with this album.. i second the fact that dailor really is under used on this work, in comparison to the unbelievable 'remission' which is still in my top 10 albums of all time, along with 'in the eyes of god' by today is the day which he also features on.. i think it is so tame against those 2 works, and just does not RIFF as much..

i know everyone says about this one being a concept album and that it is more progressive but the massive immense power that mastodon had previous seems to have been lost on this one..

I've listened to this album a few times now, and it still hasn't quiet grabbed me. While I've been liking it more with each listen, it hasn't been living up to the hype for me. I'm gonna give it a couple more tries and see what happens.