Mastodon "Remission"

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Mastodon Remission
Relapse 2002
by Nathan Pearce

Upon a first listen of this CD, I was struggling as a reviewer to figure out what to call this music. After a few more listens, I came to my senses and realized Mastodon is above simple-minded classification. Mastodon combines elements of everything exciting in heavy music and molds it into something unique and invariably their own.

Every song on this album molds itself around outstanding heavy riffs expertly piled on top of some of the most pummeling and down right outstanding drumming I've heard in my entire life. The guitars alternate between hellacious power chords and truly inspired twin guitar harmonies, the bass guitar does more than just fill space, the drums will blow your mind, and the vocals are a refreshing display of true aggression. In essence, not one single member of this band is slacking in the least.

One of the things that strikes me the most about Mastodon is their careful use of nuance. The opener "Crusher Destroyer" comes at you full force, followed by a few more songs set on full-boar, but then a song like "Ol'e Nessie" comes along, and everything about the band must be examined from another angle. Subtle hints of southern rock/metal make their way through the speakers, only to be crushed by the sounds of the apocalypse. It's these apocalyptic sounds that bring to mind bands like Today is the Day (Mastodon actually is partially made up of a few former members of TITD), and, on "Trainwreck", Neurosis. However, good bands can transcend any comparisons with their peers, and Mastodon does that without even trying.

For anybody interested in excellent songwriting, top-notch musicianship, and heavy music destroying old boundaries should check out Mastodon. Without making any mistakes, Mastodon has managed to simultaneously reincarnate the age old art of "the song", while creating a complete album.

i have heard good things about this band & every metal magazine that i pick up & read has nothing but praises for this band, i'm just curious though what genre would you classify this band???

Putting a label on Mastodon is kind of hard. They deserve to be in a class all their own, just because of this album. However, I know that doesn't help you much. Here's a few classifications I have come up with:

-Southern Apocalyptic Metal
-Apocalyptic Noisecore
-Metallica meets Down meets Neurosis meets C.O.C

None of those do it justice, though. I think any truly great album is hard to classify. This album defies classification because it doesn't adhere to any of the normal cliches of Metal, Southern Rock/Metal, Noisecore, Metalcore, etc.

Just get the album. You'll see.