Matt! Noooo!

El Stormo

Mar 20, 2003
Flanders - Belgium
elstormo.deviantart.com
What happened to Matt Barlow

The agony!

Now, just to be clear, Maybe some of you know that I have aspirations of (well, that I'm working on, even) joining the police force. So that's not what bothers me. And sure, the man doesn't belong to the Iced Earth fans, and he can live his life however he chooses to.

But a long-haired, headbanging vocal God who used to growl cynical, dark lyrics, but who now sings with some mellow band for schools, with song titles like, "say no to drugs", "respect your parents, friends and teachers", man that's just wrong.

Jon Schaffer must be making a Matt Barlow voodoo doll right now.

I wonder if he now gets pleasure from body cavity searches and " crackin some scum bag skulls " around the police station.

Officer Barlow says " Stay off drugs....or its hide the nightstick in the shower "

I read somewhere, dont remember where, that when he left Iced Earth he was going to Law school...

Well, the cop thing isn't that bad, on the contrary. But singing in a fat-belly-brigade who have songs titles: "Say No To Drugs" and "Respect Your Parents, Friends and Teachers?"

Is it just me or do the words 'wet' and 'blanket' toll through the air?

Are there sound files anywhere of this crappy cop band?

I would hope at least he would be in some cool cop band...but that is impossible.

I would also laugh as soon as I heard him sing one of those anti drug tunes, because you know his voice is gonna be all IE like.
The second his voice hits a dark saga style note I would fall on the ground laughing.

DreamNeonBlack said:
Are there sound files anywhere of this crappy cop band?

I would hope at least he would be in some cool cop band...but that is impossible.

I would also laugh as soon as I heard him sing one of those anti drug tunes, because you know his voice is gonna be all IE like.
The second his voice hits a dark saga style note I would fall on the ground laughing.
Imagine him singing in a kind of Dean Martin-voice.

if i ever got busted i would totally want to be busted by him, that would be so weird being busted by the guy from iced earth, and cool at the same time. well except the going to jail part =/

Enemy242 said:
if i ever got busted i would totally want to be busted by him, that would be so weird being busted by the guy from iced earth, and cool at the same time. well except the going to jail part =/

The going to jail part wouldn't be so bad, it would be the " ok son, drop your shorts. we gonna check for contraband "
< snaps rubber glove >

Or the alternate

" well young fella, this is your new roommate bubba. Don't drop the soap "

Stormrider1981 said:

The agony!

Now, just to be clear, Maybe some of you know that I have aspirations of (well, that I'm working on, even) joining the police force. So that's not what bothers me. And sure, the man doesn't belong to the Iced Earth fans, and he can live his life however he chooses to.

But a long-haired, headbanging vocal God who used to growl cynical, dark lyrics, but who now sings with some mellow band for schools, with song titles like, "say no to drugs", "respect your parents, friends and teachers", man that's just wrong.

He's helping society and doing good. He seems happy. That's more right than wrong.

It's not like Schaffer is giving him anything good to front right now anyway.

Stormrider1981 said:

The agony!

Yay, let's bash a guy for following his heart. It's not wrong for him to do anything. The guy's obviously trying deliver a positive message.

He's also living proof that not everyone who loves metal is a misanthropic devil worshipping wrong-doer like the general public seems to think they are.

Stormrider1981 said:
Well, the cop thing isn't that bad, on the contrary. But singing in a fat-belly-brigade who have songs titles: "Say No To Drugs" and "Respect Your Parents, Friends and Teachers?"

Is it just me or do the words 'wet' and 'blanket' toll through the air?
So here's the thing. To me, it's more about the music than the message. No, that doesn't mean I listen to bands that promote things I disagree with, but it does mean that I will listen to bands with lyrics that don't mean much to me if they're sufficiently talented. If the people in a band don't love what they're doing, they suck. They either sound plastic or they sound horribly sucktastic. Everything I heard and read suggested that just before Matt quit Iced Earth, he sucked. Maybe now that he's doing what he wants to be doing he doesn't suck again and there could be a whole generation of small children who have the opportunity to grow up listening to a god sing, get all curious as they get older, consult us "geezers" about what we've heard, and then turn the tide and put metal back on top again. Huh? Huh?

It could happen.