Max Cavalera Vocals

dabhoys

Oct 12, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
I'm looking for help with a session I've coming up soon. I've to record vocals for a few tracks and the style they are going for is of Max Cavalera. I was just looking for some advice and techniques to help me with this particular style of vocal. I couldn't find anything about his style of vox on the forums. I'm going to be working in a fairly decent studio so gear and mic selection isn't a problem. Got access to SSL, Neve and manley etc. and what ever mics. So just looking for some advice. Its quite an important session for me and need to get it right :)

Thank you very much in advance for the help

Cheers

Jay

Are you recording the vocals or are you performing the vocals?

Max doesn't seem to be too concerned with quality of equipment, as his recordings to me aren't the best in the biz by far...And, I love Max, so that isn't a slam.

The biggest factor would be the vocalists voice...If it's you doing the vocals, do you sound like Max would be the number 1 question...

I am not the singer. Its more to do with the fact that he's looking to get a vocal sound in the style of max cavalera so just wondering if anyone can help to point me in the right direction :)

It seems to me that if he wants to sound like Max, it's all up to him. If he's capable of doing that it should be easy on your end. Just stick a mic (or 2) in front of him. If he's not....there's really nothing you can do.

Are you asking for "vocal" techniques or recording techniques?

The singer is only going to sound like himself and if you are lucky he might resemble something good.

Just trying to think of some sort of way of helping me to make him sound a wee bit bigger.

Sorry bout the shitty question. Just trying to sort this out...

Cheers

Jay

I'd say try different microphones (everyone you can get your hands on) and chose one that will fit his voice and provide the expected effect (will not necessarily be the most expensive one) through the right preamp (try different configuration). And make him double his tracks and be very precise with it. And get him VERY angry :)

Good compression will help you for the big sound.

I am not sure if it is good idea to double tracks.... if he's good, it will be great, but if he's not, this can fuck the sound.

Mikey Bolton said:
Got access to SSL Neve and Manley and whatever mics...I'm thinking if you have access to this sort of equipment then why are you asking anything?

Just because there's access to some good gear doesn't mean I'm a know it all. The reason I said that was that that gear wasn't an issue with regards to what I'm doing. If an mbox and a 58 sound best I'll use them. I'm still learning and was just looking for a bit of advice on working with the vocalist. I guess the best thing to do will be try experiement on the day and see what works with the track. I'm looking forward to it. I'll learn more from working on this then working with an amazing singer.

Cheers for all the tips :) Tis much appreciated...

try to split the signal & add distortion on the second channel, this way he sounds 'meaner' during the recordings & he'll probably sing more agressive.. you can record this one too, or just redo it later.
sometimes it works wonders!:headbang:

Andy Sneap said:
just "fuck shit up" lol

I'll do my best chief :)

Going to have to experiement. Thanks for all the ideas. The distortion, pitching the vocals down and layering are what I'll have to try. I'll let you's know how it goes. Should be interesting...

Cheers

Jay