Max Norman.

Nitronium Blood

UM BOARDS' JESTER
Dec 28, 2001
Marchin' up and down the scqaiya.
Visit site
When I think of Megadeth and Ugly Kid Joe, I think of Max Norman.

There is something unique about his productions. Some may say that he makes stuff sound thin, but to me his work has this level of tightness, crunchiness and silkyness.

I can't really describe it, but he seems to have down pat some secret recepie of what seems to be a phasey/flangey effect mixed with delay or reverb of some sort. This just gives me the impression of more depth.

When Dave mustaine went and re-mixed and re-mastered CTE, he may have made the instruments clearer and more punchier, but he took away the precious 'Max Norman-ness' from it. The record now sounds... bland. It just does not 'cut' me like it used to.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on ol' Max?

Max is an old friend of mine. Very talented guy in my opinion. I certainly miss his albums. They were many of my favourites.

Neil K.

NK said:
Max is an old friend of mine. Very talented guy in my opinion. I certainly miss his albums. They were many of my favourites.

Neil K.

Hey Neil but where is he now?? what is he doing ??? still producing??
or like scott burns is doing something really different?

p.s. Scott has returned with the new obituary, great album and production

I think he stopped producing a few years ago. I've not spoken to him for some time now, but someone told me that he edits video these days. I know he had his SSL studio in LA for a while but I think that ended up closing down.

Neil K.

Nitronium Blood said:
When Dave mustaine went and re-mixed and re-mastered CTE, he may have made the instruments clearer and more punchier, but he took away the precious 'Max Norman-ness' from it. The record now sounds... bland. It just does not 'cut' me like it used to.

If you ask me, Dave shouldn't have remixed those albums...
A remaster would be ok, but him putting exactly the same samples on the (now triggered) drums kills everything in respective productions of those albums... And that's just one thing.

Nitronium Blood said:
No not me man :) I love his work with Megadeth. I meant that other people may say that he makes stuff sound thin.

I knew what you meant!
If people think that, maybe really don't know what's thin.
Old black metal stuff is thin, even the chainsaw who's used by leather face on texas chainsaw massacre is capable of doing fat tone compared to the shitty black metal sound.

Maurizio

SickBoy said:
If you ask me, Dave shouldn't have remixed those albums...
A remaster would be ok, but him putting exactly the same samples on the (now triggered) drums kills everything in respective productions of those albums... And that's just one thing.
Totally agree!!! I just don't understand this urge that a lot of record companies have to turn upside down the sound of an album... Except for rare cases (like Enemies...) to me it's a useless thing and often spoils the spirit of a recording as it was originally intended (mistakes and things like that included). :confused: