Max Payne - The Movie

Toni S.

Sep 10, 2008
Anybody as excited as I am? I loved both of the games, and really want to see how this movie turns out. Mark Wahlberg seems like a pretty good choice for Max but Mila Kunis as Mona is somewhat questionable. I just hope they don't screw this one up, and the world could finally get a decent game-to-movie product.

The trailer looks pretty cool:

Fingers crossed :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i loved the games, i always thought they could be decent movies. but when i first read that it was pg13 i was disappointed, but then i think it recently got the r rating.

if it follows the game very closely it should not have any problems, but it wont so....

So....um...yeah,seems like they've totally Teabagged the basis of the Max Payne story line (from both 1 and 2). Ugh. Just, ugh. Could be as half hacked as "Constantine" was. Who are the screen writers and have they never played the game? But, I suppose it does "look" good.

EDIT: Also, unless their using this "Valkyrie" and "demon" type stuff for when he hallucinates, then yes, it can work. But, if they've totally wrote something different, then, yeah, no.

loved the games, and the movie looks great though the Hellblazer/Constantine elements i'm seeing in the previews seem out of place. could bode well for the soundtrack though.... i'm a HUGE Original Motion Picture Soundtrack/Score nut, and Marco Beltrami's OST for Max Payne should be killer.... in the past he's done Soundtrack/Score composing for Underworld: Evolution, The Omen (2006), Hellboy, Resident Evil, Blade II, Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines... and more.... Beltrami is one of my faves, along with Tyler Bates, Ramin Djawadi, James Newton Howard, John Powell, Paul Haslinger, Javier Navarrete, Alan Silvestri, and of course... Danny Elfman.... among others.

Not to derail the thread, but it'll still be on the same lines of Max Payne. Actually, this goes to James since he's a fellow "score" lover.
I'm a Marco fan as well, and how did you like his score for "The Omen?" I ask because it must have been a bit of a treat for him to score the remake for the movie that his teacher did the original, awesome score for, Jerry Goldsmith. I can hear elements of Goldsmiths style in Marco's, yet, I think Marco adds in a bit more of the "electronic" element and maybe even ambient style that Goldsmith hit on a bit with "Alien". I could seriously go on for days on my love for movie composers. Some of mine are Patrick Doyle, Alan Silvestri, Christopher Young, Basil Poledouris, Vangelis, David Arnold, Don Davis, and Elliot Goldenthal. On the Tyler Bates/Goldenthal front, funny how Warner Bros. had to apologize for Bates using some of Goldenthal's stuff for "300".

remo... dude... i almost cannot stand the wait for Watchmen to come out.... not only do i love the original graphic novel and Zack's productions... but Tyler Bates' score is going to be fucking sweet... i'm sure of it.

remo... dude... i almost cannot stand the wait for Watchmen to come out.... not only do i love the original graphic novel and Zack's productions... but Tyler Bates' score is going to be fucking sweet... i'm sure of it.

I've been following its development, and I have a feeling The Watchmen will be awesome in the hands of Mister Synder. I remember picking up the Watchmen at a Flea Marker around '94ish. Changed my view of comics, and maybe me an Alan Moore fan (even if he does look, kind of, sort of like a serial killer). I'm just sad they won't be fitting "Tales of the Black Freighter" into the movie, yet putting it direct to video. And, I can't wait for the delivery of the best line ever by Ozymandias near the end.

And Solid Snake aka David Hayter wrote the screenplay for it! :headbang:

So....um...yeah,seems like they've totally Teabagged the basis of the Max Payne story line (from both 1 and 2). Ugh. Just, ugh. Could be as half hacked as "Constantine" was. Who are the screen writers and have they never played the game? But, I suppose it does "look" good.

That´s exactly what I thought when I saw the trailer. Visually it looks great, a Sin City vibe, but then all the dialogs and those angels and demons lead me to think that the plot is some paranormal shit a la Constantine. Nothing against Constantine but, damn, this is Max Payne! It should be a police noir story with that awesome theme song, specially the second game version, with the cello (Poets Of The Fall). At least I hope they keep with that Frank Miller´s style of "voice over insomnia" that the games have. Love films like these.

About the games, I loved the first. The second was good but it didn´t had the same impact as the first one. If they develop a third part I think they should use the time recovering health system (a la Call Of Duty and Gears Of War).

That´s exactly what I thought when I saw the trailer. Visually it looks great, a Sin City vibe, but then all the dialogs and those angels and demons lead me to think that the plot is some paranormal shit a la Constantine. Nothing against Constantine but, damn, this is Max Payne! It should be a police noir story with that awesome theme song, specially the second game version, with the cello (Poets Of The Fall). At least I hope they keep with that Frank Miller´s style of "voice over insomnia" that the games have. Love films like these.

I don't think that the demons and stuff is like "real" in the movie, it has to be something like hallucinations that Max or somebody else experiences in the movie. The makers must have been smoking something if they really decided to turn Max Payne into some fantasy-lore about demons and stuff. I still have faith for this film. :)