May seem like a basic question

setyouranchor

Celestial Recordings
May 17, 2010
North Wales, UK
But what do people mean when talking about their DAW and wether it is online or offline?

I've done some research and can't find much explaining it

Thanks in advance

Seb

Thanks a lot!

I've never really had any problems with viruses/trojans as I'm using a mac, is there any other advantages or is it literally just to keep your work safe from TEH INTERNETZZ

Seems like such a stupid thread after reading back but may as well make the most of it :p

offline/online in pro tools is how the transport functions with the sync i/o hardware.

cmd+j will chase time code making pt "online" so you are able to sync to multiple rigs (from a master) simultaneously or just sync to time code (in general).

also, non-linear editors can have an "online/offline" function because they work heavily with servers and have a robust access to large amounts of data on network drives.

I'm not sure, I've just heard the terms online and offline be mentioned when talking about DAWs. There was a thread I read on online vs offline rendering, however, I didn't really understand it. Hence why I started this thread :p

it's very simple actually:

offline processes the audio into a raw data format and renders the audio without calculating the length of the session in realtime.

realtime uses the daw transport and audio engine summing which is unique to each daw ...much like pro tools "bounce to disk." ...oh, and it does what it says ...processes in real-time.

truly phenomenal level of fail on display here

please correct me, if you think i am wrong.

it's possible that my understanding to offline/online rendering is skewed considering i use pro tools... and this feature is only available in logic/cubase/reaper etc.

in pro tools you can only "bounce to disk" or "export region as file"

i do understand that most daws use an audio engine to sum the audio... like pro tools' dae. however, the offline method is much quicker processing that does not use the transport in the daw.

but correct me if i am wrong.