Mayhem Fest

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
Has anyone attended this? I am going tomorrow and working at the Hollywood Music TV tent. Though the majority of the bands I have no desire to see, I do wanna see:

Dragonforce
Mastodon
Black Tide
Machine Head
Disturbed (just a lil bit)

But I was curious to see how the sets have been going.

I went, it was cool show. My favorites of the Day were Suicide Silence, Five Finger Death Punch, Black Tide was pretty cool, Airbourne Seriously ROCKed! Dragonforce was pretty cool, Disturbed was on their game and Slipknot was awesome...

I wanna go to this to see Disturbed and Machine Head. Slipknot would definitely be awesome to see again...

And of course, I wanna laugh at Dragonforce one more time. :lol:

This board never ceases to amaze me.

People mocking DragonForce but praising gimmicky crap like SlipKnot and Disturbed?

You have a problem with me liking Disturbed and willing to see Slipknot over Dragonforce?

It's a matter of taste. The new Disturbed album is very good. New Slipknot disc is promising and the band kills live.

The new Dragonforce album is a piece of shit imo. Sorry if it hurts your feelings, I used to be a Dragonforce fan but nowadays the band doesn't do anything that interest me.

You have a problem with me liking Disturbed and willing to see Slipknot over Dragonforce?

It's a matter of taste. The new Disturbed album is very good. New Slipknot disc is promising and the band kills live.

The new Dragonforce album is a piece of shit imo. Sorry if it hurts your feelings, I used to be a Dragonforce fan but nowadays the band doesn't do anything that interest me.

Slipknot played one of the new songs and it was excellent, I am definitely looking forward to it. And they were awesome again live... :headbang:

They had to wheel Sid out in a wheel chair because he had broken both of his heels at the previous show by jumping of the stage riser...trooper:headbang:

Dragonforce didn't suck by any means but they weren't even the best band at the party....

Friday for me, and I can't freakin wait. Have been wanting to see slipknot,disturbed, and machinehead for a while. Mastodon was good when i saw them a few years back, so they should be good. Not too big on the rest of the line-up, even dragonforce, but we'll see how their live performance stacks up to their cds for me.

To me, Slipknot and Disturbed show more diversity than Dragonforce. I don't see what is gimmicky about Disturbed, and I know Slipknot has the whole mask thing, but I know of power metal bands that are just as gimmicky if not more. I would rather watch 9 men in masks going nuts on stage rather than the singer from secret sphere wearing whatever the hell he was wearing. i know there are a lot of Dimmu, immortal, and other black metal band fans in here, and they wear their face paint, which is the same thing to me as a mask. Didn't midnight from crimson glory wear a mask back in the day. Then you have king diamond, and then the power metal bands that wear armor, and so on.

I would rather listen to Corey and the dude from disturbed sing than the guy from dragonforce, because to me they utilize more range and emotions and intensity, as opposed to singing the same chorus over and over again, hehe.

To me, Slipknot and Disturbed show more diversity than Dragonforce. I don't see what is gimmicky about Disturbed, and I know Slipknot has the whole mask thing, but I know of power metal bands that are just as gimmicky if not more. I would rather watch 9 men in masks going nuts on stage rather than the singer from secret sphere wearing whatever the hell he was wearing. i know there are a lot of Dimmu, immortal, and other black metal band fans in here, and they wear their face paint, which is the same thing to me as a mask. Didn't midnight from crimson glory wear a mask back in the day. Then you have king diamond, and then the power metal bands that wear armor, and so on.

I would rather listen to Corey and the dude from disturbed sing than the guy from dragonforce, because to me they utilize more range and emotions and intensity, as opposed to singing the same chorus over and over again, hehe.

Thank you!

Jasonic, it seems to me that you to listen to "gimmicky crap" like Disturbed and Slipknot first and then hear your comparison between the music of Disturbed and Slipknot and the music of Dragonforce. If you can honestly say Dragonforce offers more diversity than these two and that Dragonforce is less gimmicky, then I just don't know...

I would rather listen to Corey and the dude from disturbed sing than the guy from dragonforce

On a side note about Corey, what do you think about Stone Sour? I listened to their latest the other day and wasn't that impressed. I do like Corey's vocal abilities, but I'm afraid the type of bands he fronts just doesn't let him utilize his talent 100%.

~Brian~

I am no DragonForce fanboy, though I do enjoy them.
I agree 100% that there isn't too much diversity in their music.

Sorry - I find both Disturbed and SlipKnot to be watered down metal-lite. Just my opinion.

My issue with everyone's disrespect of DragonForce here is that 3 years ago, they were in most poster's top 5 bands they wanted to see at Prog Power. Their music hasn't changed, but folks here seem to abandon them based on their popularity.

If you like Disturbed and SlipKnot, then that's your problem. Hey, it's all entertainment, so you should indeed like what you like.

LMAO....:lol: Eventhough I'm a far cry from being a DragonForce fan, I have to agree with you here.

~Brian~

I agree also. I just cant take these bands serious. When most of your fanbase is 15 year olds and white trash. It says something about your music. Kind of like Insane Clown Posse.....can you really take that serious? In my neighboorhood, there was actually a bunch of kids that tried to start a ICP gang. They got busted and never seen around again. I am being completly serious too.

I am no DragonForce fanboy, though I do enjoy them.
I agree 100% that there isn't too much diversity in their music.

Sorry - I find both Disturbed and SlipKnot to be watered down metal-lite. Just my opinion.

My issue with everyone's disrespect of DragonForce here is that 3 years ago, they were in most poster's top 5 bands they wanted to see at Prog Power. Their music hasn't changed, but folks here seem to abandon them based on their popularity.

If you like Disturbed and SlipKnot, then that's your problem. Hey, it's all entertainment, so you should indeed like what you like.

Here's my problem with Dragonforce...

I always admitted that I used to love the band when they started...They were new, brought an interesting fresh thing to the power metal scene and it was great!! However, as they years went by (and my metal taste got a little broader), I was expecting their sound to change and evolve...which completely didn't happen. Their music became boring to me....repetitive and it started to bore me and piss me off...how could a band that was so good become this crappy?

And then the popularity factor came in later....It really aggravated me to see kids who were 13, 14 years old praising Dragonforce for being "The most original and different band ever", yet not even knowing who Iron Maiden was. All the power to Dragonforce cause they made their living by doing what they do, but it was a little unfair imo. I mean, look at Blind Guardian, Angra, Gamma Ray and Helloween, the bands who truly defined this genre and the scene... do they get any recognition nowadays? Not nearly as much as they deserve...

Disturbed and Dragonforce ended up doing the opposite as Dragonforce...They started with the huge popularity and then they eventually tried to make their sound different...better! And they succeeded in my opinion. If you hear the first 2 Slipknot albums, you'll notice it's totally different than the latest one, which is excellent...

I guess it is just a matter of taste, absolutely... People change and their taste changes as well... I used to like bands that nowadays I think are pure pieces of shit, and I don't think that's wrong...

Am going next week for Mastodon, Dragonforce and Machine Head. Have seen Slipknot before and they were an absolute joke. Will more than likely leave before they come on.

Here's my problem with Dragonforce...

I always admitted that I used to love the band when they started...They were new, brought an interesting fresh thing to the power metal scene and it was great!! However, as they years went by (and my metal taste got a little broader), I was expecting their sound to change and evolve...which completely didn't happen. Their music became boring to me....repetitive and it started to bore me and piss me off...how could a band that was so good become this crappy?

And then the popularity factor came in later....It really aggravated me to see kids who were 13, 14 years old praising Dragonforce for being "The most original and different band ever", yet not even knowing who Iron Maiden was. All the power to Dragonforce cause they made their living by doing what they do, but it was a little unfair imo. I mean, look at Blind Guardian, Angra, Gamma Ray and Helloween, the bands who truly defined this genre and the scene... do they get any recognition nowadays? Not nearly as much as they deserve...

Disturbed and Dragonforce ended up doing the opposite as Dragonforce...They started with the huge popularity and then they eventually tried to make their sound different...better! And they succeeded in my opinion. If you hear the first 2 Slipknot albums, you'll notice it's totally different than the latest one, which is excellent...

I guess it is just a matter of taste, absolutely... People change and their taste changes as well... I used to like bands that nowadays I think are pure pieces of shit, and I don't think that's wrong...

The issue with older bands is that lots of the younger kids look at them as dinosaurs. Even though they may have defined the genre...the newer younger fans flock towards the younger newer bands. It is sad.

The issue with older bands is that lots of the younger kids look at them as dinosaurs. Even though they may have defined the genre...the newer younger fans flock towards the younger newer bands. It is sad.

I agree with you... and you're right, it's sad. Even "not so new" bands tend to have a bigger following nowadays (especially in the USA) than some of these bands I mentioned... Sonata Arctica and Firewind come to mind (and I like them both a lot)...

I agree with you... and you're right, it's sad. Even "not so new" bands tend to have a bigger following nowadays (especially in the USA) than some of these bands I mentioned... Sonata Arctica and Firewind come to mind (and I like them both a lot)...

I agree. The last Sonata tour and even the one before that were packed in Chicago but other shows that these same people should be at were not so well attended. Even talking to people at shows is scary. It is almost if they wont touch any band that hasnt started before 2005 or have ties to a current band.