Mayhem . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . hmmmmmmm.

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
So I've listened to the new Mayhem several times. It is getting better with each listen, but I can't quite decide if it is THAT good. It is actually better than most black metal I've heard recently (excluding the new Frost), but I'm not a huge purchaser of BM. We'll just say it's better than all the BM promos I've recieved recently . . . except Frost.

Anyway, I would describe 'Chimera' as a cross between the raw, gritty stuff of DMDS era Mayhem and 'Rebel Extravaganza' era Satyricon. It's NOTHING like 'Grand Declaration of War'. I find it a little strange that a band would completely do a 180 from one album to the next. Why did they give up on there experimental attempts? I'm not saying they were any good at it, but why even waste the time on 'Grand Declaration' if they don't want to pursue that path?

Still . . . I can't tell if it is something I'll actually listen to a month or two down the road. Right now I'm really enjoying it, though.

Oh . . . and to post for Erik, before he has a chance, it's a gay, homosexual, faggotized album.

JayKeeley said:
You got the new promos then?

Yes, and that new In Flames is an unredeemable pile of shit. His vocals sound eerily like Marilyn Manson on parts. My wife is a fan of all In Flames thru Clayman and loves most of Manson and she came out of the bathroom, asking me what in the fuck was the awful shit I was listening to...

Soilwork absolutely crush these guys. The main difference between the two bands in my opinion is that Strid or whatever his name is... is a much better vocalist than Anders Friden. Even the heavily criticized Figure Number Five rips this apart.

I can't wait to see what Dark Tranquillity unleash upon us.

I downloaded the promo from DC++ and listened to it a few times a couple of weeks ago. I found it interesting and I'll probobly buy it when it comes out. As I recall it got rather slow, almost doomy in parts, but that made it all the more different and interesting.

About Mayhem.. yes, experimentals give always some new joy in life, especially to the band, but why still call themselves "the true Mayhem"??
That´s fucked up, I´d say. They stopped being "true" long time ago.

AND I´m not saying a band has to be true, I´m not into BM anymore, haven´t been much anyway in the first place either. But that they still think they are the kings of fucking BM is so stupid.

Erik said:
Fan backlash. They probably didn't sell enough albums so now they try to give the fans what they want, but they come up with crap. Should sell more, though, and I suppose that makes Hell "I play in a Christian band" hammer happy. S E L L O U T S.
When a band does a complete 180, I agree that the most likely reason is because of the fan backlash. HOWEVER, the new album is still quite good to me . . . for now. Somewhat predictable at times, though.

What Christian band does Hellhammer play in?

I heard they were touring with Stryper.

BTW, whatever Dark Tranquillity puts out next is guaran-damn-teed to be better than the last 2 In Flames, the last 2 Soilworks and the last Arch Enemy album combined.

is it guaranteed to be better than Damage DOne? I was a bit disappointed with DD. But it seems I was one of the few that found Haven to be an exceptional album, and an improvement over Projector.

Man, I'm not sure if I need another DD. I'm not sure if I need any more melo-death in fact, unless they bring something new to the table and it pays off. DT are the best at what they do these days, but I don't want DD part 2.

Soilwork, In Flames, Arch Enemy - they're all changing their style, and for the most part, it's failing. Then you've got the Nightrage and Mors Principium Est clones of the world, and they're just rehashing something that's already done.

Surely we are now at the stage where we trim all the fat and end up with 5 melo-death albums, and leave it at that.

Eucharist - Velvet Creation
Dark Tranquility - The Gallery
In Flames - Lunar Strain
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Dissection - The Somberlain

Funnily enough, those are the only albums from that scene that I listen to these days.

JayKeeley said:
Man, I'm not sure if I need another DD. I'm not sure if I need any more melo-death in fact, unless they bring something new to the table and it pays off. DT are the best at what they do these days, but I don't want DD part 2.

Soilwork, In Flames, Arch Enemy - they're all changing their style, and for the most part, it's failing. Then you've got the Nightrage and Mors Principium Est clones of the world, and they're just rehashing something that's already done.

Surely we are now at the stage where we trim all the fat and end up with 5 melo-death albums, and leave it at that.

Eucharist - Velvet Creation
Dark Tranquility - The Gallery
In Flames - Lunar Strain
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Dissection - The Somberlain

Funnily enough, those are the only albums from that scene that I listen to these days.

Wow... how people's tastes are so varied across the board.

Out of those 5 bands, I only regularly listen to Dark Tranquillity and when I do it's Haven or Damage Done.

I have everything from AtG, everything from Dark Tranquillity, "Jester Race", Lunar Strain/Subterranean", EoS' "Unorthodox", "Until Eternity Ends", "Purgatory Afterglow", "Crimson II", "Spectral SOrrows", the two from Eucharist, Armageddon's "Crossing the Rubicon". I also have the three Pandemonium releases, but they are more prog black/death melo-death.

Out of those, I listen to none. THe last one I listened to probably something from AtG or DT.