Mayhem - Grand Declaration

Stormwatch

Cock.
May 2, 2003
Fortress of Arrogance
I just bought "Grand Declaration of War" by Mayhem from a 2nd hand shop. I've listened to it and i have a question - What the fuck is this shit?

It sounds like the "singer" is rapping - reminds me of Mr C from The Shamen (Ebeneezer Goode).
Also, why does the cd start with Part 2 and end on part 3? Where the fuck is part 1?! :guh:
I'm guessing I've probably got some shitty remix version of what was originally a great record. I only bought it because Mayhem are apparently a great band - well going on this evidence, they're shit.

I thought that Mayhem album to be trash. The last Mayhem album I like is the live album Mediolanum Capta Est. Everything before Grand Declaration of War is good, especially De Mysteriis dom Sathanas and Live in Leipzig.

hmmm while I'll agree on Maniacs particularly bad vocals I quite like that record. It's very different and obviously not as good as De Mysteriis but I like the militaristic feel.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Also, why does the cd start with Part 2 and end on part 3? Where the fuck is part 1?! :guh:

Part 1 is Wolf's Lair Abyss, which Mayhem released some years ago.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
I just bought "Grand Declaration of War" by Mayhem from a 2nd hand shop. I've listened to it and i have a question - What the fuck is this shit?

It sounds like the "singer" is rapping - reminds me of Mr C from The Shamen (Ebeneezer Goode).
I'm guessing I've probably got some shitty remix version of what was originally a great record. I only bought it because Mayhem are apparently a great band - well going on this evidence, they're shit.

Unfortunately, that is not some shitty remix, it is the real deal. Maniac has completely lost his marbles (if anyone wants any further proof of this, see another side project of Maniac called Wurdulak. Stupifyingly bad.)

This album has, in my opinion, so many problems I don't even know where to start. Probably the most offensive portion of it is the clean singing/talking. Maniac has NO business doing that. He sounds like a retard. But, the main problem with it, I guess, is the fact that, at the end of the day, it simply sounds like a Marilyn Manson CD.

eh..i guess im the only one who enjoys it, i rather like Maniac's propagandist/vomit vocals, and you have to admit Hellhammer had a great performance on there. i think the way to like this album is not to compare it to their other stuff, b/c if you dont youd find its actually pretty creative. at least its not symphonic bullshit

The album was written by their Guitarist "Blasphemer". He wrote the album musically, and lyrically in some parts I think. I actually love that album, and for the record I have EVERY freaking Mahem album, because the album is so different.

Actually you won't like the album much if you don't like "themed" albums. The story behind "GDoW" is that it starts off with the ending riff from "Wolf's Lair Abyss". So technically its a continuation of that Ep but with a "war time" theme. Personally I think its one of tehir best, but still not as great as "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas".

Horrible, horrible album. It's the kind of album where you listen to it the first time, think "oh boy, this really sucks" and then you think "well, it can't be that bad, now can it? Better give it another chance, it might grow on me" quite a few times afterwards, but every consecutive listen does nothing but reaffirm how much it really does suck.

:lol: Actually Phyre, I DID think "Boy this sucks" first time I heard it. But, I haven't even bothered listening to it again as its SO fucking crap I know I'll never like it.
It's goin on eBay!

I think the first four tracks are killer. The rest is mostly boring. I mean, why include 3 minutes of total silence? If I want silence, I turn the stereo off. "It's artsy silence, it fits in," some people say. And I wonder, how can silence be "artsy"? Strange.

It's without a doubt their best album. Maniac's awesome Mike Patton influenced spoken word style made the album much better than any other Mayhem album, especially considering that he owns the unholy fuck out of Attila, the worst vocalist in black metal by far. The songs are technical and actually show skill, unlike Mayhem's previous works. There is actual ingenuity, progression, and innovation at work, unlike Mayhem's previous works. The album flows as a whole, the riffs are awesome, and it is Hellhammer's best drumming performance. It is definitely the most underrated album to come out of the black metal scene and Mayhem's first glimpse of talent in an otherwise completely terrible back discography.

LuminousAether said:
It's without a doubt their best album. Maniac's awesome Mike Patton influenced spoken word style made the album much better than any other Mayhem album, especially considering that he owns the unholy fuck out of Attila, the worst vocalist in black metal by far. The songs are technical and actually show skill, unlike Mayhem's previous works. There is actual ingenuity, progression, and innovation at work, unlike Mayhem's previous works. The album flows as a whole, the riffs are awesome, and it is Hellhammer's best drumming performance. It is definitely the most underrated album to come out of the black metal scene and Mayhem's first glimpse of talent in an otherwise completely terrible back discography.
Have you ever heard Attila's recent work with Aborym???????????????

LuminousAether said:

Did you say all of that just to piss me off? I won't bash GDoW or praise older mayhem anymore because it's been done enough, but I sure as hell want to.

Luminous likes to piss people off. He's an ELITIST. Unfortunately he likes Faith No More who put out that sell out song "Why I'm Easy" which is hardly elitist but fuck it eh? Each to their own fantasy world I suppose!
:lol: