MD441 U for 250 euro...should I go for it?

Soundlurker

Nov 19, 2005
I guess it's a very good deal on that mic, but what I'm interested in is whether it's a good decision overall. I mean, I have a bunch of necessary upgrades to spend money on, and buying a microphone is definitely not my biggest priority. Yet it's supposed to be a killer mic and it's around 750 euro new. I will probably not be able to resell it if anyone's thinking of giving me that advice, most people here can't afford it even at that price.

Does anyone have experience and impressions with the Md441? I looked around for samples and shootouts and it was honestly not that good in the ones I found.

As far as I know, it's definitely not a jack-of-all-trades when it comes to the basic methods of recording metal, and unfortunately I have never used one myself, but the people I know that have consider it a pretty decent mic. For that price I'd probably get it without a second thought :)

Go for it if its in good condition.One of the most versatile mics I have ever had a chance to use.I used it on a snare,toms,guitar cabinets,voice,piano,accordion,string sections,solo strings,woodwinds,brass and it always put a smile on my face.Not to mention that it was for like for 20 or more years considered to be a broadcast standard in my now ex country.Hell yeah even president Tito used a bunch of them(6 or so I cant remember) for his speeches to nation(sometimes he used MD 421 but rarely)basically only two of those were used the rest of them were used as backup,`cause God forbid if father of nation spoke and you could not hear him taking a breath you could easily pack your bag and head out to this place called Naked Island(not a tourist destination though it may sound so) on your own,if not the intelligence officers will help you to pack and its was not a good thing if they were helping you.That was the time when sound engineers met prozak and other nerve relaxing methods.
Sorry for the off topic but I just came from the concert(did a multitrack recording for a TV) of one of the most popular pre-war bands so I`m in the mood and yes I`m sort of a drunk too(not completely though after all I`m a professional:lol:) but as Jarkko(Žarko in my language) said for that price its a good deal.

Haha I finally decided to get it this morning and someone beat me to it...oh well, I'm not that dissappointed. I feel that even at that price it's not exactly a no-brainer when there are a bunch of cheaper mics that are more limited in their use but excel in particular applications. For example, you can have d2s on toms, d6 on kick, at4040 or sm7 on vocals, sm57 on guitar, i5 on snare and they'd probably work better without having the title best/most expensive dynamic mic.