Meeting the band

Kovenant84

T-369 days
Jan 11, 2002
My kingdom, desolate
Visit site
Ok...sorry if this was a bad thread to start, but I sorta need to find out... if/when DT plays the NYC area, how exactly do you people go about meeting them... I've never really attempted to meet a band after a show before, but there's no way in hell I'd pass up an opportunity to meet DT if it was available.

Should I just try to walk backstage and be like "no, you don't understand, see... I'm from ultimate metal...and.... no....put me down!", kind of deal? or will people be getting together to meet them afterwards?.... should I wear a UM nametag like a bunch of you did for the shows earlier this year?.... whatever.... I just want advice... I'll delete this when I've got some solid stuff unless other people want it up...

~Kovenant

This doesn't have anything to do with your question, sorry, but I just wanted to point out that I find it rather sad that people find themselves apologizing just for starting a new thread for fear of being thought of as a spammer, so to speak. I'm not blaming you, but more the people who are so uptight about the whole "spam" issue.

P.S. I'd like some "meeting the band" advice as well :) . I just went to the In Flames show, and I saw the band in a room on the way in, but I didn't have the balls to approach them, as cool as it would have been. I don't really have any UM affiliation though, just another fanboy.

Okay, I don't think that this is a lame thread at all.......here's what I have to say.......

First of all, these guys and gals in bands are people just like you and I...unless you've heard some vicious stories about them being pricks...don't be afraid to approach them!!! You'd be surprised! Especially if the band has never toured America...these bands are VERY anxious to meet American fans. There's lots of things you can do......

Go knock on their tour bus!! Seriously!! Again, you'd be surprised.

A lot of times they will be walking around before/after the show, don't be shy!!!!!!!!!

Okay, band meeting advice has come to a close for now:D

The easiest way to meet band members is to hang out in the bar area *after* they're done playing. Unless the band in question is one of the last bands of the night or THE last band, then obviously before they go on. At least every band member I've ever met was in the bar. Hmmm, remind to get that alcohol problem checking into. :D

If you can't hang at the bar, I'm not to sure. People seem to be able to meet bands long before the show, out in the lot or maybe near the bus. No stalking though!

And there's rarely reason to be nervous. They're *very* normal people and are almost always approachable. Here's a hint: treat them like normal people and not like rockstars and they'll hang and talk to you *much* longer. Unless it's Yngwie Malmsteen, he wants to be treated like a rockstar. ;)

My advice: wear your Official Dark Tranquillity forum member name tag on your chest and be proud of it! ;) Also, once they start speaking very fast swedish to each other, try to look like you understand everything they say. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, I'd recommend contacting one of them (through Private Messages, for example) and try to arrange a meeting beforehand - if you promise to pay for beer (or better yet, sambuca), I'm pretty sure they'll come.

-Villain

Originally posted by Villain
My advice: wear your Official Dark Tranquillity forum member name tag on your chest and be proud of it! ;) Also, once they start speaking very fast swedish to each other, try to look like you understand everything they say. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, I'd recommend contacting one of them (through Private Messages, for example) and try to arrange a meeting beforehand - if you promise to pay for beer (or better yet, sambuca), I'm pretty sure they'll come.

-Villain

Haha....thanks man... though I might have some trouble with the beer thing.... (age:18).... 'might' .... :) .....

Just stick around after the show man.... easy. :)

At Show Place Theater in buffalo , the bands walk right threw the crowd. Then after the show the bands are most likely on the floor talking to people...

Well, I've met a lot of bands in the States. The easiest way is to get there about 5 hours early and just wait for them to come out. If they can't talk, don't get pissed, they'll be out eventually. And they're willing to talk if you don't treat them like gods or something. Just talk to them as you would any fan.

Also, after the show, the bands are usually around thier tourbuses just hanging out. Don't be afraid to start a conversation with them.

at the Nevermore/Opeth/etc.. show I went to last year, I coulda SWORE Warrel Dane was standing right behind me during God forbid's set.

and once at a COC show, Pepper walked right by me and my bud while the opening band was on.

cool.

I don`t know how it is if they play at large places, but once in Oslo, we just ran into Stanne in the bar and started talking. He seemed like a really nice guy, and I actually think he enjoyed it (at least he pretended as he did.. ). Not many people payed attention to them after the show, kind of strange, but it was a very dark and small rock bar and I guess most of the people was too drunk to notice...

Anyway, if you stay around the back-stage area or the bar, I think you`ll have a fair chance to meet some of them.

Bands are usually walking around the venue before they play. It's easy to meet any one them (unless its a big venue where the security is tight). Jeez it's not like trying to meet Billy Idol. Just keep your eyes open and you'll spot them! And yes the bar is a good place to look, or around the merchandise.

Originally posted by Thanatos
right, I'd like to know how do you manage to meet them in large places, like concert halls and so

For THAT kind of venue, you need to know someone. Or have a backstage pass. Best bet is to buy the Production Manager OR Tour Manager lots of beer and kiss ass like never before:lol: :lol: