Mega 2010 Review with Links

lane_miller

Space Ghost
Aug 31, 2008
Near Raleigh, NC
Sorry that this is so late into the new-year, but I wanted some late year releases to sink-in before creating my best-of 2010. I will say upfront that I lean heavily toward the progressive metal end of the prog-power spectrum. So, if you are not into progressive metal, you should probably pass on taking a look at the list below. I have purchased over 150 new CDs in 2010, so here are the ones that I would recommend – all in my humble opinion are well worth owning. I have even tried to order the releases, with #1 being my favorite. Admittedly, some of the CDs below were release in 2009, but I only discovered them until 2010 - a slight breach of best-of list protocol. I don’t think that some of those listed below have been mentioned in other people’s lists. So, here we go:

1) Arcane – Chronicles of a Waking Dream Australia This concept album is so dark and chilling that it makes me want to turn the thermostat up and don a winter coat. I wish I had the lyrics to better understand the story line, but one thing for sure is that something really bad happened on the 26th of May. The compositions flow around the tale rather than feeling like a collection of songs. I like my music to be passionate and totally captivating – this fits the bill.

2) Orden Ogan - Easton Hope Germany If there was ever to be a Broadway progressive/power metal musical, it would sound like this. This concept album combines thrashy riffs with choir-sung choruses that will leave you singing-a-long. The story has just enough camp to make sure that you never forget that this is first and foremost heavy metal.

3) Vanden Plas – The Seraphic Clockwork Germany I think that Vanden Plas is the most consistent progressive metal band on Earth, always creating first class releases. The Seraphic Clockwork is no exception. Possibly a tad heavier and a bit less progressive than their norm, The Seraphic Clockwork still possesses the fully expected deluge of emotion. The production here, as usual, is top notch.

4) Day Six - The Grand Design Netherlands Stressing drama over complexity, Day Six are a sort-of progressive metal Pink Floyd. While there are quieter moments, there is absolutely nothing soft about The Grand Design. When heavy, the punishing guitar riffs almost draw blood. While there are some great blitzing guitar solos, the riffs are so good that the breaks are often filled with twisted variations of more riffage. The vocals remind me of the great Phil Moog, and work very well with the material and overall feel. Inside is probably my most favorite extended song for 2010.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy_xmxaniVU&feature=related[/ame]

5) Animations - Reset Your Soul Poland If you are really into bands that are true masters of their instruments, you will want to check-out Animations’ second release, because it probably tops my 2010 list for musical dexterity. Their first album was an all-instrumental affair, allowing them to hone their considerable chops. With the addition of polished vocals, Reset Your Soul presents a band that is now complete in every way and in possession of a bright future.

6) Darkwater – Where Stories End Sweden I would blindly buy anything that these guys put out. This release is not as progressive as their first masterpiece, but still very entertaining. I love the riffs in Queen of the Night (attached link and different than the links Glenn had in his mystery band thread). This song is one of my favorites for 2010. I can’t wait to see them LIVE in Atlanta!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXCn5clHa8s&feature=related[/ame]

7) Mindsplit – Charmed Human Art of Significance (C.H.A.O.S.) Sweden This concept album is based on therapy notes of vocalist H.B. Anderson’s distant ancestor and psychologist, Xerxes Anderson (1807-1851). His notes provide interesting lyrics based on the mental state in various situations. Combining this with exceptional music, experienced talent and terrific instrumental solos, CHAOS has everything present to make a great progressive metal album.

8) The Dust Connection – Trails The Netherlands This excellent album reminds me a lot of Perfect Strangers era Deep Purple with vocals sometimes sounding like Mr. Gillan and at other times sounding like Mr. Dickinson – so how can you go wrong? Focused on creating well crafted catchy songs, the individual instruments have moments to shine but are mostly there to support the overall team effort to deliver a unified product.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKqISIEQI14&feature=related[/ame]

9) Sinocence – Scar Obscura Northern Ireland Sinocence features rampaging thrash with heart-felt vocals. Given their origins, it is maybe too tempting to compare them to the legendary Thin Lizzy. Certainly, there are huge musical differences, but there is a common chip-on-the-shoulder attitude that makes the comparison have some relevance. Blistering guitar abounds everywhere in this best pure thrash entrant to this list as demonstrated by Perfect Denial (attached link).

10) Framepictures - Remember It Portugal This is a super melodic prog metal album with first-rate musicianship. Tinges of Rush exist with vocals that sound, at times, like Ozzy Osborne. That may seem a bit shocking, but it all works really well together. Clearly, Dream Theater is major influence, but the different vocal style helps to create differentiation. Some of the guitar solos absolutely crank.

11) Disperse – Journey Through the Hidden Garden Poland With ties to Riverside, you can expect an eclectic and progressive band; however, Disperse has a busier overall sound. Disperse has a refined and polish character to their music – a sort of black-tie upper class jazz bar feel. I had to order this one through the Progteam website:
http://progteam.eu/?page_id=71&lang=en

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLvdgj7Q_BU&feature=related[/ame]

12) James LaBrie – Static Impulse Canada, Italy, US, Sweden James has described this latest effort as “modern progressive metal”. I have to agree. While the compositions are short, somehow everything that you expect is there – great riffs, dynamic drum fills, splendid vocals, growling growls, tight/crisp/brilliant solos, and relevant lyrics. With this and his previous release, Mr. LaBrie is making a bold statement that he is just as amazing as the other super musicians in his main band.

13) Echoes - Nature/Existence Venezuela I usually don’t like albums with multiple guest lead vocalists, because I often find that the album lacks identity. With Nature/Existence, however, there is a very cohesive and distinctive feel, plus the guest vocalists are outstanding. Nature/Existence is another example of a group that started out as an instrumental project that has now added vocals. There are a lot of chops here with bit of AOR.

14) Kamelot – Poetry for the Poisoned US and Norway Where for art thou Khan? Romeo & Juliet was a tragedy; let’s hope that the drama with Khan doesn’t turn out the same way. Overall, this is another strong album that only after the fact has a few noticeable signs of a Khan departure – one being more vocals in a lower register. The backings are possibly as heavy as anything that Kamelot has produced. Certainly, there is no effort to mellow here to attempt to buy a broader audience.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8z2-C2NKHc&feature=channel[/ame]

15) Tetrafusion – Altered State US Yet, another instrumental band moving to include vocals - Absolute Zero being their ‘unsung’ debut. (The high representation of such bands on this list is probably due to the heavy emphasis that I place on musicianship.) Tetrafusion reigns from Louisiana, but there are no Cajun or Southern influences here, just progressive metal with some edge to it. The sound is heavy, but yet possessing cerebral touches at the same time.

16) Strange Aeons – eNneagon Lithuanian The center of the progressive metal universe seems to be smack dab in the middle of the Baltic sea with Lithuania now in the game. Formerly known as Bastija, the group changed their name to Strange Aeons probably to be more accessible to western markets. The music can be described as progressive rock. The vocalist even has a voice that reminds me of Geddy Lee. The band sounds like it has been together for quite some time and probably benefits from having time to fully develop their ideas.

17) Creation’s End – A New Beginning US, Italy Talented guitarist Marco Sfogli strikes twice on this list, first with LaBrie and now with this promising new band, Creation’s End. Complex and busy, A New Beginning maintains heaviness and plenty of punch, not getting lost in the technicality. While there are progressive moments, power metal fans should still find this to be enjoyable as the indulgence is held in check.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZhZJofDA-g&feature=related[/ame]

18) Autumn Hour – Dethroned US With meaty lyrics and a slightly industrial influence, Autumn Hour delivers brutal music that grabs you by the throat. Dethroned is a concept album telling the story of a devastated world attempting to be healed by technology. Progressive in a contemporary and unique way, I think that Autumn Hour holds a lot of promise for many great future releases. The first link is the title track and as unlikely as it may sound the second link is a great cover The Eurythmics' “Here Comes the Rain Again”, which cleverly fits into the storyline.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-RfWLnnfQU&feature=related[/ame]

19) Haken – Aquarius UK Aquarius is possibly the most classically progressive item on this list. Eclectic, jazzy and bombastic at times, this definitely is thinking-man's music. Haken has considerable musical talent and each instrument makes the most of it when given the opportunity. Richard Henshall of To-mera wrote all of the music and fully demonstrates a genius toward creating interesting compositions and themes.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Yh8axByVM&feature=related[/ame]

20) Halcyon Way – Building the Towers US With this album, Halcyon Way has won me over. On Building the Towers, they are more progressive and more interesting. They now remind me of Anubis Gate. Hard hitting, melodic and thought provoking, the overall sound has an epic feel. Pamela Moore, who appeared on Operation Mindcrime, makes an appearance, sending a signal of what the band is shooting for.

21) Manticora – Safe Denmark Manticora returns with a more basic approach to their brand of progressive trash. If guitars dominated previous releases, then keyboards all but disappear on Safe. Sledge hammer riffs are everywhere as Lars launches each and every note right out of the mix. Without the storylines of the previous releases, Safe seems a bit more ordinary, but that is like saying a tiger is tamer than a lion.

22) Place of Skulls – As a Dog Returns US Every year I seem to embrace at least one doom metal release. This year it is As a Dog Returns. The overall sound can be described as the sludgy side of Black Sabbath, heavily distorted and lumbering. Once you get past the great throw-back vibe, you realize that all of the lyrics are Christian-based, but there is nothing at all sappy here. The included booklet even references scripture for individual lines of the lyrics. The first link is an original from the album and the second is a nice cover of a Steppenwolf classic.

23) Triosphere – The Road Less Travelled Norway Ida Haukland fronts this power metal band with touches of prog. Ida is no operatic wilting flower. Her vocals are powerful and never struggle to compete with the backing music. Markus Silver provides plenty of crunchy guitar and blazing solos. This music is very catchy and very gutsy at the same time.

24) Silent Call – Greed Sweden Greed is a progressive metal album with a heavy and complex sound, and yet maintains an easy-to-listen-to quality. Silent Call are anything but silent, and with great talent they make music with inventive keyboards layered over driving guitar, bass, and drums. Each member has moments to shine as the music switches between dynamics, creating differentiation between the compositions.

25) Empty Tremor- Iridium Italy This band fills a musical void left by the great band Stride (r.i.p.). Empty Tremor doesn’t quite reach the stunning musical plateau of that once great band, but these guys are definitely no slouches and they can write well-craft tunes. Their vocalist sounds a lot like Steve Perry. In a good kind of way, there is a comforting aspect to Empty Tremor's music. I could not find a studio recording for Iridium, so the myspace link is attached.

http://www.myspace.com/emptytremor

26) Aspera – Ripples Norway Ripples is a highly refined and polished affair, especially for a first effort. Smooth deliveries are the mainstay and musical acrobatics are, in general, held at bay in favor of a songs-first emphasis. Many tracks have a ballad or an anthem feel. Ripples might be the most likely choice to put on the stereo when your non-metal friends stop by for a visit.

27) Mutiny Within – Mutiny Within England/US There is nothing polished or refined here - just blatant aggression. Mutiny Within makes a very strong and not easily ignored statement with their debut. The compositions are tight, busy packets. The vocals are not just a binary mix of melodic and harsh, but also span everything in between. With further development of their distinctive approach, they could pierce the top of the genre. If heavy is what you are looking, give this a spin.

28) Until Rain – The Reign of Dreams Greece Until Rain produce polished progressive metal very much in the vein of Dream Theater. While this may suggest a lack of originality, the overall product here is very impressive. As might be expected, Until Rain are outstanding musicians. The music has plenty of complexity, atypical compositional structure, and time changes.

29) 7 Months – In Time… US These guys impress me as a bunch of friends who always wanted to make it big as they covered Journey, Toto, Styx, and Kansas in bars for local fans. If I am right, their journey has brought a refined AOR sound with nice choruses and effortless top-shelf musicianship. In Time is a celebration of music produced by music lovers and intended to be heard by those who love music.

http://www.7months.com

30) Circle II Circle – Consequence of Power US I haven’t been too sure about Circle II Circle’s previous releases, but I really like this new album. Zak Stevens does have a killer voice and guitarist Andy Lee really brings strength to the music. To my ears, a more straight ahead metal approach is taken this time around. Check out the link for a great riff.

31) At War with Self – A Familiar Path US Glenn Snelwar, best known as the guitarists in Gordian Knot, is the driving force behind this largely instrumental, progressive metal project. The concept is to combine classical guitar with progressive and trash metal. A pretty successful concept, I would say, with a King Crimson air.

http://www.myspace.com/glennsnelwaratwarwithself

32) Mojo Pojo – Mojo Pojo Venezuela There must be something in the water in Venezuela because this is the second album on this list with excellent musicians from Venezuela that push a very proggy edge. Traces of Yes, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, and Uriah Heep are all present on this adventurous release, but with a more contemporary and more metallic spin. The descriptor “experimental” from their myspace website is very much warranted.

http://www.myspace.com/mojopojoproject

33) Myrath – Desert Call Tunisia Although Myrath have added a lead vocalist, Desert Call doesn’t veer too far from its debut predecessor, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Obvious comparisons to Symphony X can be made - after all they started out as a SX cover band (no small feat). Madness (link attached) may be the highlight of the CD with its panzer-like riffs and Middle Eastern percussion.

34) Kingcrow – Timetropia Italy This very well done concept album shows Kingcrow as fully developed artists. The backing music continually morphs to perfectly fit the various moods as the story is told. Timetropia may be more accurately labeled as progressive rock, instead of metal. An unrushed approach is employed to convey the ever-changing atmosphere and emotion. Brilliant production makes every note of every instrument clear and discernable.

35) Nevermore – The Obsidian Conspiracy US This latest release by Nevermore rivals their excellent legacy. Again, their trashy brutality includes outstanding musicianship. Also, the intriguing lyrics, tempo breaks, and blazing solos justify a progressive description. Dane’s voice has no trouble slicing through the musical mayhem and Loomis continues to demonstrate that he is one of metal’s best guitarists.

36) Tarot – Gravity of Light Finland Marco Hietala and Tommi Salmela return with a strong album that comes close to equaling their impressive previous effort Crows Fly Black. As always, their combined talent results in a unique blend of haunting melodies, a bit of majesty, and the 666 element that often dominates more mainstream metal. Tarot has one of the coolest personas in the industry.

37) The Barstool Philosophers – Sparrows Netherlands How could you not like a band with a name like this? The music of The Barstool Philosophers is heavy and deliberate with emphasis on atmosphere over technicality. There is plenty of introspection as their name would imply. Their singer sounds a lot like Nils K. Rue, which should give you another reason to check them out.

38) Apocalyptica – 7th Symphony Finland I know that a lot a people have a jaded opinion of this group, viewing them as a gimmick oriented band combining strings with metal. But, I find this album of originals fairly compelling. I also like the unrushed trance-producing nature of their music. The attached link highlights their instrumental side, but guest vocalist mix things up by adding some compatible texture.

39) Acute Mind – Acute Mine Poland An AOR feel permeates the progressive music of Acute Mind. Plenty of keyboards and catchy choruses make this album easy to digest. Some of the songs sound very much like Threshold – so much so that I had to reach several times for the CD package to make that this was not a spin-off band. If Threshold is the inspiration, they sound be flattered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post indeed... this just made me drop some money around a few websites. Thanks!

GREAT post man!!!

You gave me some good names to check out

Thanks to internet radio, I have already heard (and really dig) Animations, Aspera, and Day Six (of course already having heard some Creation's End and Haken since the PP announcement and Lance suggesting I buy the MYRATH cd at the vendor table last year which was a GREAT suggestion).

On a sidenote I can NOT stop playing Ripples by Aspera

Friggin' LOVE that album