Mega 2011 Review with Links

lane_miller

Space Ghost
Aug 31, 2008
Near Raleigh, NC
Sorry that this is so late into the new-year. With a vast majority of the top established acts releasing new material in 2011, I seriously struggled to get my head around all of it. This may have also contributed to fewer new acts making my list when compared to previous years. Is it possible to have too much of a good thing? Probably not, but 2011 came close. With the onslaught of releases, I was more challenged this year to differentiate between the top and bottom of my list. I will say upfront that I lean heavily toward the progressive metal end of the prog-power spectrum. So, if you are not into progressive metal, you should probably pass on taking a look at the list below. (Purveyor of Evil be warned!) I have purchased over 150 new CDs in 2011, so here are the ones that I would recommend – all in my humble opinion are well worth owning. Glenn and I have 22 releases common to our 2011 lists (no wonder I like PP!) Where there is duplication between our lists, I have tried to pick different sound/video clips. So, let’s get started with my #1 favorite release of 2011:

1) Redemption – This Mortal Coil, US: While van Dyk states that the lyrics are not about him or cancer, there is little doubt that such a brilliantly intense album could have been written without having gone through such a nightmare. All I can say is: Nick, best of luck and thanks for such a moving piece of work. The album certainly delivers musically: heart-felt vocals, tight backings, and wonderful structured/free flowing solos.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6QpKf0Kluc&feature=related[/ame]

2) Appearance of Nothing – All Gods Are Gone, Switzerland: Back with their sophomore effort, Appearance of Nothing keeps their distinctively wonderful progressive elements and warm baritone vocals. But, this time they add a heavier crunch and experiment with some different vocal styles. Shades of ELP and even Alan Parsons Project capture the brain, but the no-holds-barred prog metal delivery grabs you by the throat.

3) Gno – Cannibal Tango, France: French dudes aren’t suppose to be funny, but no one told Gno. Witty, funky, politically incorrect, technical, funny as hell and looking like, well, most of us, how can you not love these guys? Godin interjects bursts of tasty shred to satisfy any guitar connoisseur. Prog metal is usually irresistibly bleak and dark, but take a light-hearted break: check out Gno.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XsU6QPOEtk&feature=fvsr[/ame]

4) Evergrey – Glorious Collision, Sweden: Back with their mutated progressive metal version of the blues, Evergrey crank out their best album since In Search of Truth. While there is not a weak track on the CD, Frozen may be my favorite song of 2011 – it’s impossible not to sing along with the chorus. The newly assembled band, under Englund’s leadership, is true to the Evergrey sound, and may even take it up a notch.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwAe0kxWt4U&feature=fvsr[/ame]

5) Symphony X – Iconoclast, US: Symphony X’s latest 1.5 discs of music keeps them firmly placed among the top bands in the genre. Although not as proggy as their early efforts, there is plenty of interesting and amazing passages to please these progressive ears. The title track alone provides enough evidence to support this claim. Even with all their musical wizardry, Iconoclast will appeal to the heavy metal mainstream.

6) Borealis – Fall From Grace, Canada: Borealis’s second release shows that their excellent first release, World of Silence, was no fluke. Loaded with punch, drive and chug, head banging becomes an involuntary reflex. Matt Marinelli’s blue collar vocals deserve much greater notice in the prog power community. The production is crystal clear and song writing strong throughout.

7) 66 Crusher – Blackest Day, Norway: Fresh and urgent is how I would describe Blackest Day, the second release from 66 Crusher. Emphasizing feel over technical flash, you are drawn into a personal connection with the music. Jarle Olsvoll’s beautiful mid-range voice perfectly emotes each shift in mood. Not your prototypical progressive metal, 66 Crusher needs to be embraced by someone’s genre – it might as well be ours.

8) Haken – Visions, UK: Quickly following up their strong debut, Haken returns with an even better and more accessible album with fully developed ideas and each note perfectly selected. With such strong music, Haken is quickly becoming the darlings of the proggier side of the spectrum. Fans of early Genesis, Yes, and ELP who are looking for a more metallic fix will find it here.

9) Dream Theater – A Dramatic Turn of Events, US/Canada: Portnoyless, Dream Theater deliver the goods in fine style. With possibly their most technical and yet accessible album, Dream Theater continue to be the poster children of the progressive metal genre. Dramatic Turn of Events reminds me of Octavarium but with a lot more to grab you. Dream Theater will always remain a blind buy for me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xmqmxGSVkk&feature=related[/ame]

10) No Gravity – Worlds in Collision, Italy: Simone Fioretta of Midnight Comedy gathers an all star team, including Andy Kuntz, to produce this excellent project. While different vocalists are used, the project never loses a cohesive feel, unlike other similar projects. With more virtuosity than Midnight Comedy, No Gravity provides complex runs and blindingly fast guitar moments. I say pick a singer and make it a permanent group.

11) While Heaven Wept – Fear of Infinity, US: With an album that is a bit less pure doom, While Heaven Wept still score a winner with an emotionally drenched offering. For me, While Heaven Wept is as close as metal gets to a truly spiritual experience. At the risk of sounding like a fruit cake, I almost had a tear or two in my eyes during their 2011 Prog Power performance. Fear of Infinity aims straight at the heart.

12) Iced Earth – Dystopia, US: Dystopia is Iced Earth’s best album since the classic The Glorious Burden. With a new singer, Jon Schaffer’s brain child delivers all the trademark elements: chugging riffs, snarling yet melodic vocals, and huge choruses. The song Anthem is THE metal anthem for 2011. Stu Block’s vocal performance is magnificent and worthy of carrying the legacy forward.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vz4yIgnFt0&feature=fvsr[/ame]

13) Leprous – Bilateral, Norway: As true innovators, Leprous defies categorization. If you are looking for warm cuddly music, then continue down the list. Leprous has all the comfort of putting damp cloths on in a snow drift. Yet, there is an almost seductive appeal that draws you to the cold remoteness of their music. Bilateral picks up on this eerie vibe where Tall Poppy Syndrome left off.

14) Odd Dimension – Symmetrical, Italy: With a huge sound and “patience” to allow their ideas to fully develop, Odd Dimension sounds like a very accomplished band for only their debut offering. For me Moving Pictures by Rush was a “patient” album, never rushing (no pun intended) from one idea to the next, allowing the full impact to be felt. Symmetrical strikes me the same way. Note: “patience” does not equate to gutless!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyddmwUdx-M&feature=related[/ame]

15) Lost in Thought – Opus Arise, UK: Did the opus arise? I answer with a BIG 10:4 Good Buddy. Slick and complex, Lost in Thought certainly have Dream Theater as an influence but still have plenty of their own identity. As might be expected for this sub-sub-genre, all the expected musical chops are present. Elaborate compositions with equal footing for guitar and keyboards leave much to hold your attention.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVNmAboykI&feature=related[/ame]

16) Voyager – The Meaning of I, Australia: Voyager has moved into the upper echelon of the genre with this release. Danny Estrin is a genius writer and performer with a magnetic stage presence that shines through on this release. Fine moments of virtuosity are certainly here, but never over power the context of each song. The Meaning of I is their best produced album offering a harder-hitting sound than their previous albums.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43o1pFLcmsA&feature=related[/ame]

17) Pagan’s Mind – Heavenly Ecstasy, Norway: Pagan’s Mind return with another strong release. Not veering far from their previous sound, you will know pretty much what to expect. Walk Away in Silence is one of the catchiest tunes they have ever offered. While staying pretty close to power metal, some really nice progressive moments continue to sneak-in, with the extended break in Revelation to The End being the best example.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAyxFRZe8Eo&feature=related[/ame]

18) Dianoya – Obscurity Divine, Poland: Coming from Eastern Europe, there should be no surprise in the sparse despair that permeates Obscurity Divine. Heavier than Riverside, Dianoya still provide enough ambience to have you turn down the lights and get out the old lava lamp. With shuffle on, Obscurity Divine would fit just fine in the CD changer alongside Dark Side of the Moon, Second Life Syndrome, and In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

19) Midas Fate – What Dreams May Come, US/Italy?: This little EP gem contains excellently composed and performed music. With tinges of classical and pop rolled into progressive rudiments, there is a lot to enjoy. Mike DiMeo, formerly of Riot, lends his exceptional pipes to each track. Dazzling musicianship abounds with some unbelievably fast synchronized runs smattered throughout. Come on guys, let’s get a complete CD released!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHQVNktFvM8&feature=related[/ame]

20) Circle of Silence – The Blackened Halo, Germany: Holy smokes! These guys are hot enough to boil steam! The CD is beautifully produced with the guitars roaring like tigers. Subtlety is out the window with each riff, solo, and barked vocal hitting hard everywhere and always. Nothing new here, except sheer excellence in the power metal trade. Even with my preferred progressive diet, The Blackened Halo never fails to grip my interest.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcCWYqVh2Uo&feature=related[/ame]

21) Seventh Wonder – The Great Escape, Sweden: Pristine is a word that comes to mind when listening to The Great Escape. Every note is cleanly cut and dropped perfectly into the musical puzzle. Tommy’s voice ascends through each melody. Andreas’s “lead” bass is magical as usual. The title track is 30 minutes of very listenable music, a collage of light and heavy sounds.

22) Twinspirits – Legacy, Italy: I can’t believe that Twinspirits doesn’t get more attention than they do. Keyboardist Daniele Liverani is a never ending source of musical ideas and guitar prodigy, Tommy Ermolli, who first joined the band at the age of 13, plays with a maturity beyond his years. Legacy is their best balance of melodic smoothness and metal edge, making Twinspirits a sort of prog metal Uriah Heep.

23) Serenity – Death & Legacy, Austria: Serenity seems to be determined to overtake Kamelot as the kings of symphonic power metal. Death & Legacy is a collection of songs all tied to historical figures such as Sir Francis Drake, Queen Elizabeth, and Galileo – pretty cool stuff indeed. DeLain’s Charlotte Wessel guests on Serenade of Flames and sounds like an angel alongside Georg Neuhauser’s exquisite voice.

24) Animals as Leaders – Weightless, US: Superhuman eight-string wonder, Tosin Abasi, takes the instrumental guitar album into uncharted waters with great success on Weightless. From one track to the next, you don’t know what to expect. Heavier than its predecessor, Weightless loses nothing in originality and only makes the music more reachable for the metal fan.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McNYx2OpGK4&feature=related[/ame]

25) Anubis Gate – Anubis Gate, Demark: With their distinctive and haunting sound, Anubis Gate produced their excellent self-titled fifth album without a lead vocalist. Bass player Henrik Fevre takes over that role and does such a great job that you wonder why he didn’t have the job from the very start. Anubis Gate are masters at using melodic vocal harmonies without creating the slightest syrupy aftertaste.

26) Eumeria – Rebel Mind, US/UK: Newcomers, Eumeria, are another band that must have listened, at least a little, to Dream Theater and maybe even that once great Texas band Stride. But don’t be put off by fears of a clone job. Rebel Mind is a first-rate debut with strong songs and demonstrates superb talent that makes it well worth the investment in time and money.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Ce7vdEGvY&feature=related[/ame]

27) Cynthesis – DeEvolution, US: The Tipton brothers of Zero Hour notoriety fractionate into Cynthesis with similar technical metal but more sublime melodic vocals. Jason’s twisted guitar riffs are ubiquitous and brother Troy gets my vote for the most phenomenal bass playing on this entire list, a massive statement given the collect of thick string talent.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAEpoT3dNFE&feature=related[/ame]

28) Vangough – Kingdom of Ruin, US: Like Vincent van Gogh, Vangough’s art is both beautiful and grotesque. Clay Withrow, Vangough’s creative engine, must see the plains of his Midwestern world differently than most others. I would bet that Dostoyevsky and Alfred Hitchcock must be among his influences. Like a psychological thriller, Kingdom of Ruin draws you in with a force greater than the one that propels you away.

29) Amaranthe – Amaranthe, Sweden: Amaranthe makes sure that no vocal approach goes untried with Elize’s sweet feminine voice, Jake E’s powerfully melodic voice, and Andy’s growling. While I am not normally into death metal vocals, they are used sparingly and with great taste, making it all work really well. It is not a stretch to predict that Amaranthe will attract attention beyond the boundaries of progressive metal.

30) Sun Caged – The Lotus Effect, Netherland: Marcel Coenen and his band mates have been working on the Lotus Effect for 4 years. While that is too long, it was worth the wait as the saying goes. All the essentials of great progressive metal are here: complex riffs, stunning solos, extended compositions, and tenor melodies. While there is an ocean of technicality, the music never loses warmth and feeling.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQKKQpXXO18&feature=related[/ame]

31) Arch/Matheos – Sympathetic Resonance, US: Jim Matheos and John Arch are reunited on Sympathetic Resonance. Heavier than most of the Fates Warning catalog, grinding riffs and exceptional soloing dominate, both characteristics please my progressive metal appetite and my Black Sabbath roots. While they get second billing, Jarzombek, Vera and Aresti contribute heavily not just serving as the house band.

32) Enbound – And She Says Gold, Sweden: Is there such a subgenre as glam power metal? If there is, then Enbound should be at the top. Gene, Paul, Ace, and Peter are probably kicking themselves for not coming up with total gold body makeup. And She Says Gold is first-class power metal with a touch of pop, providing a modern day analog to Bon Jovi. Heck, they even do a respectable cover of Michael Jackson’s Beat It!

33) Myrath – Tales of the Sands, Tunisia: Myrath have completely transitioned from the Symphony X cover band to a sound completely their own. By extensively using but not forcing middle eastern influences, Myrath carve out a nice niche in the progressive world. Greater use of male and female background vocals add greatly to the exotic and epic character.

34) Epysode – Obsessions, Various: Obsessions pursues the progressive metal concept album path well tread by Scenes from a Memory and Operation Mindcrime. While not attaining the same lofty heights, Obsessions holds its own quite well. Epysode, the project, was formed by Samuel Arkan, and includes members from Beyond Twilight, Communic, and Pain of Salvation to mention a few. Needless to say, talent is not lacking.

35) Virtual Mind – Shattered Silence, Italy: If you like your guitar heavy, and first and foremost in the mix, then Shattered Silence should be your progressive cup of tea. Italian guitar extraordinaire, Francesco Fareri, brings his 7 & 8 string to front and center. In Iommi style, Fareri keeps much of the backing heavy and fairly straight forward, but when he takes his turn the resulting blitz is nearly overwhelming.

36) In the Machine – In the Machine, US: In The Machine proves that contemporary progressive metal can be earthy and relevant. Corey Brown’s emotional voice provides much of the warmth on top of the metallic backing tracks, bringing Evergrey to mind as a reference point. Bury Me is a winner with Corey’s inflection-filled vocals, thundering 12 string bass, tasty wah-wah guitar solo, and more than one trip around the drum kit.

37) Riverside – Memories In My Head, Poland: If you heard it all before, then Riverside has accomplished their mission. Intentionally, Memories In My Head, a mini-album, was written by Mariusz Duda and company as a throw-back to the early Riverside releases featuring empty ambience and melancholy. Lock the knives up and throw away the key, then turn the sound system up and indulge in heavenly gloom.

38) Odin’s Court – Human Life in Motion, US: Years after their last release, Odin’s Court emerge like locust to feed on the willing progressive metal horde. Eclectic, artful, and introspective, Human Life in Motion is like nothing else on this list, a singularity deserving of attention. Somewhat jazzy and folky at the same time, Traffic, a classic early 70’s band, comes to mind.

39) Further Dimension – The Monolith Effect, Various: Punishing and brutal, The Monolith Effect is only for those without heart problems and not pregnant. The movie 2001: A Space Odyssey portrayed monkey’s bashing bones on the ground discovering tool and weapon, so the album title fits quite well with the music. A Certain Idea of Human Kind is the “catchiest” song with a really nice chorus amidst the only slightly toned down mayhem.

http://www.myspace.com/furtherdimension

40) Third Eye – Recipe for Disaster, Denmark: The most striking thing about Recipe for Disaster is Per Johansson’s vocals. Per seamlessly shifts from a gravely midrange voice to deafening high pitched swell that seems to be done without effort or falsetto, pretty amazing actually. While probably not suiting everyone’s taste, his voice fits well with the energy and dynamics of the music and overall it works for me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx2zXz7B1ww&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a really great list and deserves a bump. I own a bunch of these and am enjoying the hell out of a lot on the list. And have now, thanks to you, discovered a few new ones to check out. I did not know the brothers from Zero Hour had another band going, for instance.

Wow! Here I am going through this list of amazing albums and thinking how similar our musical tastes are... Then I'm blown away to see none other than my own band's CD listed in your reviews! Thanks so much for the kind words and recognition of our eclectic style!

BTW, perhaps it was their Grammy nomination, but it made me break their Dream Theater's latest CD again and now I can't stop listening to it! My favorite from them in years!!

Another band that you might like (another disk I was stuck on for a while) is by a band out of NYC called Jolly. It took me a bit to catch on, but once it did - WHAMMMMM!!! It hit me hard!

Looks like I have new bands to check out from your list.

38) Odin’s Court – Human Life in Motion, US: Years after their last release, Odin’s Court emerge like locust to feed on the willing progressive metal horde. Eclectic, artful, and introspective, Human Life in Motion is like nothing else on this list, a singularity deserving of attention. Somewhat jazzy and folky at the same time, Traffic, a classic early 70’s band, comes to mind.
Thank you for the kind words and including us. I can count on my hands the times I have seen Odin's Court albums appear on a "top releases of the year" list, so it is always a nice surprise. :)

- Matt

Another band that you might like (another disk I was stuck on for a while) is by a band out of NYC called Jolly. It took me a bit to catch on, but once it did - WHAMMMMM!!! It hit me hard!

@Rick: I'll add to this recommendation...the Jolly CD is awesome!!!

@lane_miller: Great list, BTW, and thanks for taking the time to put it together, especially with the YouTube links!! I plan to spend tomorrow listening through the links for CDs I *don't* already have. Based on the fact I like about 80% of what I *do* know in your post, I'm sure my ears will thank you and my bank account will wind up cursing you. :)

Later!

Craig

Wow! Here I am going through this list of amazing albums and thinking how similar our musical tastes are... Then I'm blown away to see none other than my own band's CD listed in your reviews! Thanks so much for the kind words and recognition of our eclectic style!

Rick, thanks to you and Odin's Court for playing music that challenges and entertains the listener. Lane

@Rick: I'll add to this recommendation...the Jolly CD is awesome!!!

@lane_miller: Great list, BTW, and thanks for taking the time to put it together, especially with the YouTube links!! I plan to spend tomorrow listening through the links for CDs I *don't* already have. Based on the fact I like about 80% of what I *do* know in your post, I'm sure my ears will thank you and my bank account will wind up cursing you. :)

Later!

Craig
@Craig! Not surprised to hear this from you since we have always shared many common music favorites!! It is great though, isn't it? It is also no surprise that we both enjoyed a good bit of Lane's list! I know I have some new music to check out!

Rick, thanks to you and Odin's Court for playing music that challenges and entertains the listener. Lane

Thanks so much, Lane! I'm glad that you are scared away by our diversity and unique sound. And thanks for such a great list! I know I will be busy checking out more new music!!

Also, a HUGE thanks for sponsoring bands at PP USA!! Especially since you sponsored to of my favorites, Darkwater and Symphony X! We definitely share many common favorite bands! You have great taste in music! ;)