Arcturus cancel ProgPower USA; Replacement Announced

Given the nature of this festival, there is ALWAYS the risk of a cancellation... which is why we are all happy that Blackguard is there to fill the gaps.

Well, I was happy that they gave me an obvious dinner break. :lol:

But, I've come to expect cancellations, since they seem to happen every year. Personally, I think it would be amazing if there weren't, considering how far ahead Glenn sets the lineup. I know of no other festival that announces their lineup a year ahead of time. (by contrast, ProgDay, which is a couple of weeks earlier, only just made their 3rd band announcement out of 8 bands.)

Claus is going to mad himself into an early grave. That's not even a dig. There could be legitimate health concerns over this. Either that or he should start his own TV show, "Mad Metal with Claus" (like Mad Money with Jim Kramer) where he rants about metal current events on TV.

I can totally understand people who bought a ticket but decide not to go because of the band they liked cancelling. If they understand that they are eating the cost, then that's OK. No prob. But demanding their money back is just dumb.

It's Arcturus who should be apologizing to everyone.

Thanks Glenn (and Jen), I can understand you not wanting to waste any more time talking/thinking about this!

I was told one thing and that statment from them said something opposite. It was basically polishing a steaming turd.

Having some familiarity with how these things work, I basically expect all band statements of this nature to be a lie on some level. But Arcturus's statement didn't really even do that, because it didn't say anything at all! It was just "we're cancelling, and we aren't even going to make up a lie to explain why, we simply won't explain anything at all".

But yeah, I don't really care about the "whys" either, I just wanted to nip dcowboys's "didn't have time to practice" interpretation in the bud, since that seemed to be giving a much too-specific interpretation to a vague message that usually wouldn't be the truth anyway.

To illustrate my point further, I have never dealt with such an unprofessional group of individuals.

Sadly, "unprofessional group of individuals" was my armchair/fan's impression of Arcturus even before you had any dealings with them. Four records with a different label/distribution for each one is just one indicator of a band not particularly serious about turning their music into a long-term career. Again, this is just my view from across the ocean, but the tea leaves suggest to me that Simen might have been the one most interested in turning pro, but failed to convince Sverd or the other guys?

So anyhow, huge credit to you for going out of your way to herd those cats as well as you did, and it was real shitty of them to turn around bite the hand trying to feed them, and worse that they didn't even let you know they were biting you. I'm also sad because this surely lowers your interest in working with similarly "unprofessional" but interesting musicians in the future. :(

Neil

Now you have added Darkwater even though this isn't the special band you were after. Now Arcturus is out and you replace them? You could have been back to the original number.

We just can't win.

~Jen

Glenn & Jen, don;t listen to these idiots...You guys are doing AWESOME...keep up the GREAT work!!!:worship:

QFT! don't make me have to get my rage on and hurt someone...
or maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing?

/enforcer

206680_10150226192055482_141126265481_8988172_1368723_n.jpg

I hate how bands feel they can just cancel tours and what not. Apart from PP USA (since I know I'll enjoy most of the bands no matter who specifically is booked), I personally wait until a few weeks before a show (or until the tour starts) to purchase tickets since bands canceling has become a plague in the music industry. Its just bad for the metal scene.

In any case, I'd rather see Ihsahn play than Arcturus anyways, so I'm actually happy about this announcement. Now if only Mikael Åkerfeldt would show up for "Unhealer"...

P.S. Maybe we'll get some Leprous action as well!

were I in the US i would be +1ing all over this :)

And it's not even the nature of this festival in particular...it happens to ALL music festivals of all genres. You'd think these people have never been to a concert before.

At least we haven't had the debacle of that little crybaby last year getting all pissy (stupidly) over the whole Kamelot thing without Khan... I think we're in good shape. :)

At least we haven't had the debacle of that little crybaby last year getting all pissy (stupidly) over the whole Kamelot thing without Khan... I think we're in good shape. :)

Yeah, I'm actually surprised I haven't seen really bad reactions here yet. Hopefully it doesn't happen...

Yeah, I'm actually surprised I haven't seen really bad reactions here yet. Hopefully it doesn't happen...

From what I've been seeing I think a lot of it has to do with the people that were looking forward to Arcturus seem to be even more amped up to see Ihsahn.

From what I've been seeing I think a lot of it has to do with the people that were looking forward to Arcturus seem to be even more amped up to see Ihsahn.

That's true, but there's one more thing as well. It seems to me that the majority of people who were coming to ProgPower with Arcturus as the main draw are not members of the forum (or the PP community for that matter). There was quite a bit of negative reaction to the news on Blabbermouth (then again, it IS blabbermouth). There is some crying and whining there, but mainly by dumbass crybabies... I mean Arcturus fanboys.

That's true, but there's one more thing as well. It seems to me that the majority of people who were coming to ProgPower with Arcturus as the main draw are not members of the forum (or the PP community for that matter). There was quite a bit of negative reaction to the news on Blabbermouth (then again, it IS blabbermouth). There is some crying and whining there, but mainly by dumbass crybabies... I mean Arcturus fanboys.

I would have to agree with that as well. And, well, it is Blabbermouth, so I can't say I'm surprised. Regardless though, I don't think this will have quite the backlash that past cancellations have had.

I noticed this one dude - granted, I've only been to last year's ProgPower, but is what he's saying even possible? The standing space I believe if you're not there quick enough, but seats... ?

I noticed this one dude - granted, I've only been to last year's ProgPower, but is what he's saying even possible? The standing space I believe if you're not there quick enough, but seats... ?

No. As a person who is sometimes required to be out and about during performances, this has not been the case. More than likely, he was standing in the middle of the exit and one of the event staff told him to find a place to sit or stand, because he was blocking the exit and he didn't hear the guy due to the loud music. I have never seen anyone told to leave, because the venue was too full, and I am often standing up near those exits.

What a wanker! I've been to the fest twice and there are days I've been up front the entire time and days I've taken it easy and moved around. You can ALWAYS find a spot.