Arcturus cancel ProgPower USA; Replacement Announced

Nope. ProgPower USA gets the exclusive show.

Not that my opinion matters but once word gets out that Ishahn is playing, it will be what gets this year sold out. He has many fans, I know a few people who would travel just to see him play. I think he will draw more than Arcturus would. I think it is an amazing replacement.

"Old Man Fatigue?" How old are you, i can guarantee you don't even come close to my age, and yes by Saturday night I a sore, worn out, feet swollen, knees swollen, but HAPPY, and excited, because i have been with my extended family. By the way they don't call me grandpa for nothing.

I will find the picture of you in the wheel chair!

You can only complain about how tired you are 48 hours AFTER ProgPower ends, any other time and it's just lame.

-MEtalRose

Extremely disappointed in Arcturus, they were the selling point for me to buy tickets and make the effort to travel. The show would have been better with Garm over Vortex, but who knows if there will be opportunities to see them live in the future. Very frustrating.

With that said, Ihsahn is a great replacement. I'd love to see him do Radical Cut and Unhealer. Can't think of a better replacement.

Not that my opinion matters but once word gets out that Ishahn is playing, it will be what gets this year sold out. He has many fans, I know a few people who would travel just to see him play. I think he will draw more than Arcturus would. I think it is an amazing replacement.

I actually agree here. I'm crushed that Arcturus isn't playing, but they only appeal to a very distinct type of metal fan, but still very much enough to have been one of the main draws for the festival. With that said, I think Ihsahn has an even broader appeal and MORE selling power. I still very much stand by my claim that this festival will sell out completely.

I actually agree here. I'm crushed that Arcturus isn't playing, but they only appeal to a very distinct type of metal fan, but still very much enough to have been one of the main draws for the festival. With that said, I think Ihsahn has an even broader appeal and MORE selling power. I still very much stand by my claim that this festival will sell out completely.

This X 1000. From not giving Glenn the time of day, to being the Main Support on Friday night makes Ihsahn's appearance the greatest miracle since Lazarus. If this thing does not sell out, we do not deserve this festival.

Hail, Glenn! :worship:notworthy:worship:notworthy:worship:

I'm a huge Arcturus fan and I was traveling some distance to see only them. At the same time, I was expecting this to happen. I don't want to try and defend their decision, but all of those guy's have a lot more in their lives than Arcturus. Honestly, ProgPower would have been a good show for them but they didn't fit in at this venue. There are few people that can understand what Arcturus was trying to accomplish as a band. They've already achieved what they were looking for years ago. I guess I'm going to have to sell my tickets for ProgPower. -Luke

I'm a huge Arcturus fan and I was traveling some distance to see only them. At the same time, I was expecting this to happen. I don't want to try and defend their decision, but all of those guy's have a lot more in their lives than Arcturus. Honestly, ProgPower would have been a good show for them but they didn't fit in at this venue. There are few people that can understand what Arcturus was trying to accomplish as a band. They've already achieved what they were looking for years ago. . -Luke

I like Arcturus as much as the next guy but there are plenty of musicians with multiple active projects who are able to keep their commitments. Arcturus was booked over a year in advance. You'd think that such professional musicians would be able to practice the songs that they've written and performed numerous times enough in that timeframe to get it together to play ONE show.

Honestly, a good bit of bands have dropped from this festival with reasons ranging from visas to breaking up to getting on other tours during this time frame, but I can't think of a single act from any festival ever who has dropped because they're rusty.

edit: and the current lineup for Arcturus isn't even that busy....yeah, Hellhammer does a lot, but what has Vortex been up to since Dimmu kicked him out? is Sverd playing with anyone these days? Or Skoll?

I like Arcturus as much as the next guy but there are plenty of musicians with multiple active projects who are able to keep their commitments. Arcturus was booked over a year in advance. You'd think that such professional musicians would be able to practice the songs that they've written and performed numerous times enough in that timeframe to get it together to play ONE show.

Honestly, a good bit of bands have dropped from this festival with reasons ranging from visas to breaking up to getting on other tours during this time frame, but I can't think of a single act from any festival ever who has dropped because they're rusty.

edit: and the current lineup for Arcturus isn't even that busy....yeah, Hellhammer does a lot, but what has Vortex been up to since Dimmu kicked him out? is Sverd playing with anyone these days? Or Skoll?

I totally agree. It's not even close to a valid excuse for dropping PP. As an active musician, my woman and children always come before a show. There are numerous reasons to cancel a show, this isn't one of them. -Luke

It boggles my mind that people are willing to spend money for a ticket, (a large distance to) travel, food, and lodging for one single band scheduled to play for an hour.

Not saying it's wrong, just that I can't imagine the dedication.

A lot of dedication here man. I never thought I'd see the day the Arcturus would come to the states or even play again for that matter. I was going to travel over 700 miles to see this set. There is no other band I would do that for, hands down. I was just about to order my hotel and plane ticket next week too. Whew... -Luke

It boggles my mind that people are willing to spend money for a ticket, (a large distance to) travel, food, and lodging for one single band scheduled to play for an hour.

Not saying it's wrong, just that I can't imagine the dedication.

Costwise it's about the same as putting up a sponsorship, no?

There are a certainly a few bands who I would do that for...

i am totally late to this, but i love ARCTURUS but the love is equal for IHSAHN and i was just saying last year he should be considered for a slot at PP! so no complaints here! Glenn, nice job on the recovery and it's a shame in 2011 that bands still cannot live up to commitments that they have agreed too. Are we men or are we men?!?

but I can't think of a single act from any festival ever who has dropped because they're rusty.

I'm sure they didn't cancel because they're literally out-of-practice. Their statement was simply a poetic bit written to match their theme and aesthetic. Certainly when there's money on the table, communicating in poetic riddles with your contracted partner is pretty lame, but it would be a mistake to try to apply a literal meaning to that "artistic" statement. It's basically just saying "nah, we changed our minds, we aren't getting back together after all".

My completely out-of-my-ass guess would be that Sverd just doesn't want to do it for some random reason. My impression is that he *is* Arcturus, and his on-again/off-again interest in being involved in music is largely the reason for the band's stuttering history. He really has shown no interest in playing the part of a "professional" musician. On the other hand, only making music when *he* feels like it is probably one reason why their catalog is so outstanding.

I interpret the first line of 'The Sham Mirrors' as illustrating this viewpoint:

"Wecome...this transmission...from a fallen star...otherwise known as Arcturus..."

Neil

I'm sure they didn't cancel because they're literally out-of-practice. Their statement was simply a poetic bit written to match their theme and aesthetic. Certainly when there's money on the table, communicating in poetic riddles with your contracted partner is pretty lame, but it would be a mistake to try to apply a literal meaning to that "artistic" statement. It's basically just saying "nah, we changed our minds, we aren't getting back together after all".

COMPLETELY disagree.

~Jen

My completely out-of-my-ass guess would be that Sverd just doesn't want to do it for some random reason. My impression is that he *is* Arcturus, and his on-again/off-again interest in being involved in music is largely the reason for the band's stuttering history. He really has shown no interest in playing the part of a "professional" musician. On the other hand, only making music when *he* feels like it is probably one reason why their catalog is so outstanding.

I interpret the first line of 'The Sham Mirrors' as illustrating this viewpoint:

"Wecome...this transmission...from a fallen star...otherwise known as Arcturus..."

Neil

You got it. My thoughts exactly! -Luke

COMPLETELY disagree.

Ah, ok, well obviously you would have far better insight than I would with my armchair analysis!

But can you be more specific? Are disagreeing with the first five lines of mine you quoted, meaning you think their statement somehow SHOULD be taken literally? Or are you just disagreeing with the last line, meaning you do know the specific reason for their cancellation, and it's contrary to my "we're lazy" impression (e.g. they're reforming for real and will be doing a mega-Euro tour at that time)?

Neil