Megadeth - 'Gears Of War'

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Everybody knows I'm very critical of Megadeth post "Youthanasia" work. "Cryptings Writings" conviced half-way and the albums afterwards were either crap or uninteresting, including the ill-fated (IMO) TSHF with the revamped line-up.

So I'm pretty skeptical about what can they deliver nowdays, until I listended to the new single from the upcoming album. I must say that the only drawback of the new song is Mustaine very weak vocal deliver, besides that the song is VERY thrash and the guitar work is VERY nice. Reminds of stuff that perfectly could have fit in CTE and again except for the vocals seems like a rebirth for Megadeth. If the rest of the album delivers like this one I'll go for it.

I have three tracks off this new one. I heard "Gears of War" about a month ago or so. I also have a TIVO performance from Gigantour II , that aired on Headbanger's Ball a couple of weaks back. It's unispiring to say the least. I'm even more turned off by the fact that MegaDave was whoring himself out for a fucking video game (Gears of War). I'll likely be getting a review copy, but I'm not buying based on the three tracks I have.

TSHF was a great album and arguably Dave's best in 10 years. It suffered a bit production wise, but the songs were very well written (notable mention: The Scorpion).

Gears of War is a decent song but having Dave repeat "Gears of War" just got too old too soon. Not a bad song, but on the album version he should really consider removing the vocals from that part.

The solos section is excellent. Very nice fret work.
The rest... decent. At least it does have a Thrash tinge to it. But damn Daves voice for sounding somewhat decent in the studio, yet absolutly craptastic live.

You guys are being way to nice. Gears of War is a horrible song. The chanting is so retarded I don't know what Dave was thinking on this one...

I havent heard it yet but for some stupid reason I was believing the hype Dave was spinning about a return to thrash form - looks like I'm sticking with pre RIP. Maybe i'll buy the remastered Killing is my Business when I need a new Deth album.

Maybe i'll buy the remastered Killing is my Business when I need a new Deth album.

DON'T! I did it when it came out and I'm still repent, the way Dave hold his balls (and attorneys) and butchered 'These Boots' new version simply kill the whole spirit of the album. I stick with my original version, not big deal anyway in the remaster.

As for GOW I listened to it and I sustain that even if Dave's vocals are horrible the song is better than the material in TSHF a complete overrated mediocre failed comeback.

Well, here's one vote for the "can't-stand-Dave's-vocals," side. His singing has never done anything but annoy me. They are a metal band that I actually know very little about because I could never get past that. I bought Killing is my Business when first it came out, but quickly gave up after that.

Everybody knows I'm very critical of Megadeth post "Youthanasia" work. "Cryptings Writings" conviced half-way and the albums afterwards were either crap or uninteresting, including the ill-fated (IMO) TSHF with the revamped line-up.

blah blah

I see we agree on yet another point, Wyv! ;)
Except for Cryptic Writings, which was indigestable for me... :ill:
I too dug Gears Of War very much, this really sparked my interest in them.

Sounds pretty good on the first listen. And what exactly was wrong with TSHF? I thought it was great and absolutely Dave's best since Youthanasia, maybe even better than that one.
Never been a huge fan of 80s Megadeth... Rust, Countdown, Youthanasia, that's my personal "classic era".

Sounds pretty good on the first listen. And what exactly was wrong with TSHF? I thought it was great...

Good for you, if it wasn't for different tastes everybody will listen to the same album time and again. I found it boring, uninteresting, and pale in comparison to everything before "Crypting Writings".

I see we agree on yet another point, Wyv! ;)
Except for Cryptic Writings, which was indigestable for me... :ill:
I too dug Gears Of War very much, this really sparked my interest in them.

Finally some support! :lol: To me CW is a half-half, the bad songs are really bad, but the good ones 'She-Wolf', 'Vortex', 'FFF', and the amazing 'The Desintegrators' kick ass all the way, sadly I feel Mustaine lost that energy (probably fighting towards the end with Junior :heh: ).

NP: Blind Guardian - 'Skalds And Shadows'

Megadeth should be put to rest. Its getting really hard to stomach Dave slowly rotting away with unspired records just trying to squeeze a few more big hits onto the billboards with simple boring radio songs.

TSHF wasn't all that bad, though there's a few songs I feel they could have left out. I haven't heard anything from the new album, but I'll get it regardless cause I've always liked them, even on their shitiest albums are songs that I like.
Besides they have a better track record than most bands from their era.

Haven't heard any of the new songs, but I definately enjoyed World Needs a Hero & System Has Failed, so I'll be looking forward to a new Megadeth CD.

Outside of Risk & about 2/3 of Cryptic Writings, I enjoy the whole Megadeth catalog.

Not bad, I don't like the intro much. I've liked most of what MD has done. I even liked CW for the most part. Risk blew chunks though. I'll buy it for sure, and I always liked Mustaine's vocals.:Smug: