Megadeth - System has Failed

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Wow....this is a very good record, and that really caught me by surprise. In fact, I'd rate it a notch higher than "United Abominations".

Megadeth lost me with "Youthanasia"...like many thrash bands circa 1992-1995, the watered down songs just didn't work, particulalry with Dave's "love em or hate em" vocals. The few songs I'd heard from "Cryptic Writings" didn't force me back into the fold, either.

Anyway, their recent "comeback" (ie: the press' positive reviews of "UA" and "Endgame") prompted me to take a stab at "System Has Failed". And, again, the quality of the songwriting is superb....I guess I need to revisit those 90s 'Deth albums! It's not very 'heavy' but so what? A good song is a good song!

What are your thoughts on this record?

.I guess I need to revisit those 90s 'Deth albums! It's not very 'heavy' but so what? A good song is a good song!

No, no you don't! Youth and Cryptic were both good, not classics, but not bad. Risk and World Needs a Hero were both pretty bad, there's only one song I like from each.

What are your thoughts on [system]?

System, like you said, was a good record. It reminded me of a blend between Cryptic and Rust to be honest (to each his own description I suppose). The problem is, for me anyways, it fizzles out around song 7 or 8.

It does however contain perhaps the best track Megadeth has done in a long time: The Scorpion. Aside from being masterfully written (the music), it's one of Dave's best lyrics.

Out of the last three Deth records(not including Endagame), System probably is the most consistent and my favorite. The songwriting is good (Universe, Chair, Day and a couple of others) and Dave surrounds himself with great studio players like Colaiuta (drum god). To me it was not a full return to form but it was definitely a step in the right direction(especially after a record like Hero:ill:). I always dug the Cryptic record so that one is another one to check out if you want to revisit the 90's material.

Pounding, actually, The Scorpion is not one of the tunes I dig from that record hehehe. Which goes to show that when it comes to points of view, the possibilities are endless :loco:

TSHF bores me to deth. I downloaded when it came out and really tried to get into it after being dissapointed with "Risk" and TWNAH. Up to this day I can't stand those albums. UA rose my hopes on a comeback for Megadeth despite it's many weaknesses, but of course "Endgame" swept everything away. So basically for me Megadeth stopped at CW and started again with UA, the ones in between are like apocryphal :lol:

I've been saying for 5 years that it's the best one since the good old days. I agree about The Scorpion, pm74. Other highlights for me would be Tears in a Vial and Something I'm Not.

I hated CW when it first came out but it's got some really good songs on it.

Production means squat when you have good songs. Like take for example the last Metallica album, if the songs were fantatsic the production would be forgiven...

To a degree, the songs trump all. But you know what? I grabbed the Guitar Hero versions of Death Mag and I enjoy it much more. Actually, I've given the GH version many spins and I rate the album much higher now than I did in the past. Maybe if St. Anger were remixed I might be able to stand that album too?

It's like a low budget film that's good. I mean yeah, it's good, but good production makes it easier to enjoy a piece of work.

Pounding, actually, The Scorpion is not one of the tunes I dig from that record

Yup, to each his own. Different things grab different people. Sort of like Sortilege, 'ey Wyv? :saint:

Only an improvement relative to the two albums before it. Some good riffs, but the typical inability to write proper songs or actually sing. It's been a while since I last listened to it though...

Yup, to each his own. Different things grab different people. Sort of like Sortilege, 'ey Wyv? :saint:

What do you mean? Sortilege slays both Megadeth and Metallica whole discographies with both hands tied up to their ankles any given day. French metal rules! :headbang:

this album was supposed to be a Dave Mustaine solo album, he threw the Megadeth logo on it right before it's release.
well yes and no. the record company at the time (sanctuary) informed mustaine he owed them 1 more megadeth release

Well actually this fact doesn't surprise me. When Tony Iommi decided to release "Seventh Star" as a solo album the label got him under a lot of pressure teelling him his name wasn't big enough hence the Black Sabbath featuring Tony Iommi moniker on the album.

When Glenn Tipton along with Cozy Powell and John Entwistle recorded "Edge Of The World" the label told Glenn they wanted a fresher sound and musicians, so he wrote and released "Baptizm Of Fire" (not a bad album anyway), and years later actually he could release EOTW.

Labels exercise sadly a lot of pressure because of the contracts. Megadeth itself released "Capitol Puishment" because the owed an album to Capitol Records.