Freakin' on Megadeth

Hey SM, I thought they were all remixed? Or is it remastered? Or is that the same thing? Not being sarcastic here....I'm really pretty sure that the boxset was touted as a remaster thing (and the individual albums have since been released outside the boxset).

Anyway, speaking of Zep I could've sworn Dave M. was bragging on a cover of Immigrant Song when UA was being recorded. Whatever happened to that?

The Zep stuff has all been remastered. Megadeth has remixed everything. The latest editions of the Megadeth 80s & early 90s albums sound radically different from the original releases.

someone with recording experience can supply the technical definitions of each, but as I understand it, remixing literally allows for the individual tracks to be 'reincorporated with degrees of variation' compared to the original mixes; ie: different equalization on an instrument, adjusting the volume of an instrument(s), adding bass to the vocals, etc., etc. The song structures dont change but the overall sound can change drastically.

The original goal of remastering, from what I understand, was to simply remove the 'hiss' and 'air' from original analog recordings that were transferred to the digital format. Volume were increased (usually) and that hiss was removed...I'm probably not explaining this well, I fear.

The last live footage I saw looked like they still deliver live, though the last time I saw them was the RIP tour and I was drunk as hell and headbanging fervently like a typically possessed teenager watching one of their favourite bands..:kickass:

Hey SM, I thought they were all remixed? Or is it remastered? Or is that the same thing? Not being sarcastic here....I'm really pretty sure that the boxset was touted as a remaster thing (and the individual albums have since been released outside the boxset).

Anyway, speaking of Zep I could've sworn Dave M. was bragging on a cover of Immigrant Song when UA was being recorded. Whatever happened to that?

it was on an import version

I will admit that the Lee Ving vox on the original MD45 album are better then the Dave vox on the remaster.

Totally! I never even bothered with the remaster that original album is one of the best purchases I had ever done, great music!

NP: Girlschool - 'Demolition Boys'

The Zep stuff has all been remastered. Megadeth has remixed everything. The latest editions of the Megadeth 80s & early 90s albums sound radically different from the original releases.

someone with recording experience can supply the technical definitions of each, but as I understand it, remixing literally allows for the individual tracks to be 'reincorporated with degrees of variation' compared to the original mixes; ie: different equalization on an instrument, adjusting the volume of an instrument(s), adding bass to the vocals, etc., etc. The song structures dont change but the overall sound can change drastically.

The original goal of remastering, from what I understand, was to simply remove the 'hiss' and 'air' from original analog recordings that were transferred to the digital format. Volume were increased (usually) and that hiss was removed...I'm probably not explaining this well, I fear.

Nah, actually you did a great job, and that's kind of what I figured. I actually do know a little about recording n' stuff, so I think you hit the nail on the head (but there's some guess work on my part too). It's just that I thought I had read interviews with Jimmy P., and he was so involved with the remaster that it really seemed to me he must have done more than just remove hiss....you know. Seems such a waste! And now I'm forgetting, was the Sabbath box a remix or remaster? Suddenly I'm thinking remaster, but then again some things were definitely louder....such as the intro to Junior's Eyes. Eh...

Anyway, speaking of remaster/remix, can I suggest that either Roy Z or Andy Sneap produce EVERY old-school band working at staying current? I mean, both of their work is so great....methinks. Sneap should go back and remix The System Has Failed. The sound on United Abominations is Twice as good....

Sneap is one of the best producers working in metal right now. I dunno if I've heard anything produced by Roy Z, but I love his guitar playing.

As for the Megadeth remasters, Killing is My Business and Peace Sells but Who's Buying are just tweaked with in the volume and clarity department, but from there on it's a total hatchet job. Mustaine swapped out several tracks for alternate takes, did loads of overdubs, and recorded new vocal and guitar pieces. I realize that some of the decisions his producers made weren't very good ones, but he's also trying to revise history via George Lucas. It's not cool.

I dunno if I've heard anything produced by Roy Z, but I love his guitar playing.

All post-Maiden Bruce Dickinson solo albums, Rob Halford "Resurrection", co-produced Helloween "The Dark Ride", and I believe he's been involved too with Rob Rock "Rage Of Creation", Masterplan debut, Warrior albums and so.

I think Dave's singing & lyrics are generally pretty damn good. Singing may be a little diminished in the past few years, but Dave's snarl is one of the things that makes 'Deth distinctive.

I actually think his singing has become better in recent years, but he'll never be in the same league as Warrel Dane, Chuck Billy, or Randy Rampage (my favorite thrash vocalists).

As for his lyrics, I'll admit Dave has had his moments. Peace Sells is as good a song as anything Bruce Dickinson or Geezer Butler ever wrote. Unfortunately it comes right after a bunch of juvenile blathering about Dave being an alcoholic, cheating on his girlfriend, and wondering if she'll kill him for it (Wake Up Dead).

Dave has written some very good songs, but for every Foreclosure of a Dream, there's a Psychotron, Conjuring, and Crush 'Em. The first album alone should be enough to get him enshrined in the Bad Lyricist Hall of Fame.

"Death surely waits you, with sharp and pointy teeth!" :lol: