Damage Freakin' Plan

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
What do you all think by now? Who's heard it??? I'm gonna give it a 7 overall. It'll grow on me...but it's a little less than I expected. Vulgar Display of Power it is not...but it's a lot better than some Pantera stuff. I don't know about Dime"s guitar tone, though...not to be a geek but to me he lost that "hetfield on steroids" sound and has an almost...gasp....nu metal guitar tone like the guys from Skipknot. Not saying the music sounds like Slipknot but he has that almost gravelly distortion vs. his old "clear" chunk if that makes any sense at all. Think "st. anger" vs. "eye of the beholder" tone wise...

Overall though, I like it. It was worth the dough...

I heard all the sound clips on vh1.com ha ha!
I hated it. I thought it was metal and hardcore and very uninspiring
and unimaginative for those 2 Abbott brothers.
They've got the wrong singer for real solid metal Dime and
Vinnie style I think. He's not bad, he's just very generic.
It's obvious they're going for a more modern approach.
I have this feeling, they're trying too hard not to sound like
Pantera.

The Abbott boys actually like nu-metal like Drowning Pool and Disturbed :puke: so I'm not suprised. Those 2 wanted to do that earlier but Anselmo stubbornly kept them from doing that and made them stay just modern metal. I think both Damageplan and Superjoint Ritual are half-assed compared to what they all did in Pantera. Oh well.

I heard the nu-metal as soon as I saw the video on headbangers ball, but I do like maybe a little over half the album, so I give it a 6.

Plus....the last few tracks (to me) are very boring.

delize said:
I heard the nu-metal as soon as I saw the video on headbangers ball, but I do like maybe a little over half the album, so I give a 6.
I didn't hear too much on that track. The track is the vein of Vulgar era Pantera. The singer sounds like Phil on roids. What concerned me was when I saw a track titled "Fuck You" when you have to name a track after a vulgarity you know the creative juices have dried out. It's a "good record" not something that I would listen to on a regular basis. I will probably burn the damn thing for the Archives & trade that mother in!