guitar tone....

Bryant said:
No matter how pissed I ever have got and get at fucktallica, Hetfield's tone was so sinister, it scared me the first time I heard it.

The first time I heard Hetfields tone I was impressed with anything but it tone. My friend 'Metal' Mike owner and chief editor from the Dutch metal mag Aardschok introduced the "No life til' leather" demo to me while we were driving to a concert. i was impressed with what Hetfield did but not yet with his tone. When their "Kill them all" album was released I was blown away the their speed! As was anyone who heard it those day's.

Only when I heard "Ride the lightning" I got a enormous kick out of his killer guitar tone on it. But in the very beginning Hetfield's tone was quite sucky! :). After RtL it became awesome!!

Bryant said:
Gibbons and Dimebag also had some amazing guitar sounds, no doubt.

Gibbons tone has always ruled as far as I know.
Even tough I like his 70s tone a lot more than how he sounded in the 80s.
He is coming back to his 70s sound again... Thats good!

I only really started liking Dmebag's tone since " A vulgar display of power". On Pantera's first 3 albums he really sounds like a Van Halen clone. Not that I can blame him for this he was 15 or 16 years old when he recorded these albums in the shed or basement of his father.

Bryant said:
I certainly should have mentioned Eddie as well. Without Eddie, Vito would not have been Vito. THough he was no clone, the influence was very strong.

Bryant

I still love Vito's playing. Its a shame he has giving up music. He was so talented!

Rhoads
Hammett/Hetfield on Ride the Lightning and MOP
Iommi
Jake E. Lee with Ozzy
Smith/Murray
John Christ with Danzig (just listen to the first 4 Danzig albums geez lol )....
EVH on the first album...
Leslie West (any Mountain album before Felix died)
David Gilmour on any PF album
Eric Clapton with Cream and also on the song I Wish it Would Rain with Phil Collins
David Chastain on Ruler of the Wasteland and 7th of Never
Hendrix on all his official albums when he was alive
SRV on any album...

There probably a few others that skip my mind right now.. but for now that will do for my list.. if i think of any others i'll repost...

Today we were driving to a party while playing some classic rock. And then I heard him. He has been playing great music since 1968. His tone is magic. An old dude and the master of tone and feedback:

Carlos Santana! :headbang:

There's lots of metal guitar players with tone I admire, but I have to say the tone that sticks out most in my mind is SRV. I just can't believe how HUGE his sound was, fucking incredible. It's a shame that he passed, he was on top of his game.

Ironbird666 said:
There's lots of metal guitar players with tone I admire, but I have to say the tone that sticks out most in my mind is SRV. I just can't believe how HUGE his sound was, fucking incredible. It's a shame that he passed, he was on top of his game.

I agree completely!!! When you watch and hear him play you can tell that everything he is hearing in his head he is getting out through the guitar. It's like he was one with the instrument, as if he was wrapped inside the music and he was just flowing along with it... not thinking just being with the sound. You could tell that he FELT every note he played. I love watching him play.

Narcosynthesys68 said:
I have never, ever, ever heard ANYONE pull off sounding like EVH

This reminds me of an interview with Ted Nugent I read years ago in a guitar mag. Ted was talking about the time he was playing a show with Van Halen and how he was excited to meet Ed and that he wanted to play through Ed's guitar rig to see how he got that tone. The interview aked him how it was and Ted said "guess what, I sounded like Ted Nugent". Hahahaha.... Just goes to show that it's not all about the gear, there has to be some magic in those fingers also.