The Holdsworth Tone

RemoWilliams

¯\(°_o)/¯ How meet Devil?
Nov 13, 2005
So, I've always wondered how people here go about obtaining that smooth ass Holdsworth tone. Not just in the lead department, but even his regular chordal tone is killer. I've been a fan of his for awhile and have always at least attempted to get his tone, but then give up 'cause I don't have the skills or legato. Of course, I probably answered 80% of the tone question is the LEGATO. But I'm sure as to what maybe the setup of effects would be and maybe even an idea of the type of amp tone used.

Maybe Tym from Cynic/Exivious will chime in since his tone on Exivious is pretty killer Holdsworth stuff.

Oh, what a great question!

I can never dial my amp in to get that sound on its own, I always have to roll my guitar's tone back a fair amount but leave a decent amount of treble dialed in on the amp. Any other combination seems to spoil it.

Not that I get that tone, but when I'm going for something like it, the tone knob has always been key for me. A tiny bit of edge removed by dropping the volume knob just a hair seems to help too.

Allan may have an approach that avoids these things, but they work for me.

By the way, Allan is a god.

I knew you'd be one of the first to respond. Being a fellow Holdsworth addict.

I remember reading that somewhere that he rolled off the tone knob a bit on the bridge pickup. For some reason I keep thinking there like some delay or chorus in the tone as well. That and his legato/hammer-off/pull-off technique is just too damn good. Actually this has distracted me from project I was working on before since I went on a Holdsworth binge. I had the focus going, then BAM!, I pop on some Holdsworth and I get a itch for that tone.

I understand completely.

Yeah, I'd say definitely use the bridge pickup. A lot of people go straight for the neck pickup to get a smoother tone, but Allan still has that juicy richness that just has to come from the bridge pickup. It's a different kind of smooth.

And I think there is definitely some subtle delay involved most of the time.

I found that holdsworth's lead sound is really powerful on the mids...so cranking the mids and lowering bass would be a start.
He also said in some interviews ( from the wardencliffe tower period) he used 8 short delays in series to get the chorus effect.

And yes, he's a god.

IIRC, he was using the Yamaha DG modeling amp a while back. If you can find one, that will get you partly of the way to his tone.
Other than that, practice about 6 hours a day on purely legato and insane chord voicings and you'll get there:lol:

Oh, what a great question!

I can never dial my amp in to get that sound on its own, I always have to roll my guitar's tone back a fair amount but leave a decent amount of treble dialed in on the amp. Any other combination seems to spoil it.

Not that I get that tone, but when I'm going for something like it, the tone knob has always been key for me. A tiny bit of edge removed by dropping the volume knob just a hair seems to help too.

Allan may have an approach that avoids these things, but they work for me.

By the way, Allan is a god.

Thanks for this! Some good tips there. I looove that smooth lead tone and have always wondered how to get it.

One thing that's obvious, he's been through tons of gear, and endorsements. But he still always has his unique tone.

Definately more mids, like was said. I think he works almost exclusively through his bridge pickup. More mids but a pretty well balanced tone. He's been using chambered guitar a lot to. The carvins but even more so the delaps.

One of my guitar teachers turned me on to Holdsworth back in the 80's. He's been one of my favorites ever since. I never get tired of listening to his lines. Coltranes like that. I use to listen to Road Games and IOU all the time.

Mesa Mark III/IV amp and the main piece of gear: the juice extractor (HP simulator)... And of course Holdsworth:lol: