Problem getting a good metal tone

DarkTom666

Oct 20, 2009
Montréal, Québec
So basically I'm running my ESP M-II --> PreSonus FireBox --> Cubase LE4 and I've tried lot's of ampsim and such, but I always have the annoying feedback/noise.

I downloaded Guitar Rig 4 demo and used the noise compressor included and it just worked perfectly. The only problem is that with the demo I am unable to find any good combos to get a good killer metal tone.

I have done quite a bit of searching but I must be blind, but is there a good free noise compressor VST and awesome ampsim for metal?

A sick tone I'd be dreaming to get would be from John Petrucci's on Panic Attack (From Dream Theater and preferably this one) or even Nevermore - The Psalm of Lydia.

I'm still pretty new to all the recording/mixing and everything production-wise. I've read some stuff, and my only goal would be to produce an EP with good quality. I've been thinking about maybe grabbing a copy of Guitar Rig 4, but I dunno if it's worth the money for my production skills and time-spending only being a hobby.

I'd be delighted to hear some opinions and suggestions. Also would love to get redirected to what I've been looking for, and I'm always looking for help!

Thank you!

Annoying feedback/noise.

There is a sort of a loop between the headphone output and the inputs on the firebox, causing this issue. I don't know how to fix it. I also own one.

Guitar Rig 4 sucks for metal tones to be honest.
Well, okay, to be fair it's not terrible, but compare to 8505 or Peavey Revalver, it's pretty mediocre. GR4 is better for lower gain stuff. Hell, even POD Farm kicks it's ass for metal tones.
You really shouldn't be getting feedback with amp sims, somethings gotta be seriously wrong with your gear or the way your doing things for that to happen, because it's never ever happened to me, nor many other people either.

Ok so I tried with all these VSTs:
8505 Lead (Nick Crow)
VoxengoBoogex
TSS
Spitfish
Floorfish

The feedback/noise problem is kinda resolved with both "fishes", but I'm unable to find a good tone since I have no idea how Voxengo works, I just had to go by luck and it just didn't worked out.

By the way, you're telling me I might be doing something wrong, what would it be? I'm plugged directly in my ESP, and going to Mic/Instrument in my FireBox. Should I go into the Line Ins behind instead?
Oh and it's not my guitar, I tried with my brother's Ibanez and EBMM Luke, same problem with buzzing and such.

Cheers!

boogexL.jpg

Okay, here is Boogex explained:

See that green dot? Slide it all the way to the left.
Pre Filter, set everything to zero. Amplifier, set everything to zero

With Dry Pre and Dry Post Cab, set to taste, you'll hear when you get a good level going. Personally I never use Dry Post Cab, I just set Dry Pre Cab to 0dB.
Click on File and you browse your hard drive and use any impulse response files of your choice.
Always make sure Speaker Cabinet Impulse Response is set to switched on.