Getting a good tone out of VST's

MetalRaph

New Metal Member
Jan 13, 2010
Hey everyone, first of all thanks for all the help people give in this forum.

Secondly, ive been struggling to get a good down tuned metal tone out of my vst's and i was just wondering if it was possible for someone to make a screenshot similar to the one below but with settings that make a nice solid metal tone as a reference for me to go by.

sorry about the size of the image.
examplexb.jpg

thanks in advance.

depends on taste really! try this:
tss: drive=0, tone=7, level=full --> this tightens the the low end and helps getting a nice distortion
8505: reduce gain and mids to 10:30, I tend to use quite some treble on this to set the tone in the mix. maybe like 14:00. try to find the awsome1 IR from catharsis on this forum, i really like the low end and the ability to cut through the mix with this! boogex noob mistake nr.1: drive to 0!!!!
sony acidpro? don't know this programm, but maybe try reaper (it's free, kinda ;))

Personally I never liked 8505 for lead guitar, but it can do well with rhythm guitar, but I always needed some amount of post processing to make it work.
I ALWAYS set the drive on Tube Screamers Secret to zero, the other 2 knobs depending on what I need.
As for 8505 settings, I never set the mids to more than half.
Sometimes I set the mids to zero and further reduce mids using an EQ parameter on a parametric EQ with a band set to about 800-850Hz (making a small cut, because if you cut too much it will thin out the tone)

See that green dot on Voxengo. Slide it ALL THE WAY to the left and then turn down the Pre Filter and Amplifier section knobs down to the minimum.
Then I usually turn Dry Pre Cab to 0bD (the halfway mark) and you should be set. I just leave Dry Post Cab off (-inf dB)

thanks a lot for the help fellas :) has improved the tone quite a bit.

will hopefully have some samples up soon, any more help would be much appreciated too :)

Maybe thats my problem, I usually have the drive cranked to at least 5 or 6 on the BTE. Why do you guys keep it so low?