Allan Holdsworth

TartanLlama

A toilet brush... Cunning
Jul 13, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hey, I've only started getting into jazz fusion recently and from what I've heard, Holdsworth is right up my alley.

Was wondering what you guys think would be the best album of his for me to get, the crazier the better.

Bands I enjoy include Cynic, Spiral Architect, Exivious, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Behold...The Arctopus.

Here's three that are excellent and should give you a good idea what Holdsworth is about. "The Sixteen Men of Tain", "All Night Wrong" and "Metal Fatigue."

I should get some Holdsworth, ouside of a few songs I downloaded for samples and stuff friends played for me years ago I am very unfimiliar with him. Outside of the second Gamalon CD I have not bought any fusion in decades, yet its still one of my favorite.

I should get some Holdsworth, ouside of a few songs I downloaded for samples and stuff friends played for me years ago I am very unfimiliar with him. Outside of the second Gamalon CD I have not bought any fusion in decades, yet its still one of my favorite.

Yeh Razor, Holdsworth doesn't disappoint. A huge influence on many guitarists.:worship:

Here's three that are excellent and should give you a good idea what Holdsworth is about. "The Sixteen Men of Tain", "All Night Wrong" and "Metal Fatigue."

I will take your recs. seriously and perhaps this will be my next move. I think Sixteen Men of Tain, have heard of it before. Im due for some new fusion, I've beat the stuff that I have from the 70's to death.

I push them alot but anyone into fusion that doesnt have Gamalons self titled and Aerial View is missing some good stuff. They can generally be picked up cheaply on ebay. I only got Aerial View last summer but its great. Puleo is(was) a no bullshit guitarist.

Brilliant guitarist, and he's influenced so many amazing bands and players. I've heard his newest album is pretty good, this true?

I think this is easy to answer. If you want to get his most shreddy "headbanging" hard fusion rock type stuff get "Heavy Machinery w/ Anders & Jens Johansson. I have a feeling that many metalz headz here would be able to appreciate that album.

If you want tr00 Holdsworth I would suggest "Road Games" & "Metal Fatigue". Great great albums.

Unfortunately I was able to find a download of "Sixteen Men of Tain" but it's a bad quality rip.

His VERY first album "Velvet Darkness" is long out of print, but it really trips me out. You can find it on torrent sites.

So basically in this order I would go:

Heavy Machinery
Road Games
Metal Fatigue
Atavachron
Sand