Overkill- The years of decay

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
After having recently clicked with Horrorscope after like a year, and being a bit of a fan of the 2 most recent Overkill albums, i finally found The years of Decay during my last CD haul (allong with Dark Tranquillity's Caos Reissue).
While i love the Years of decay and have only minimal issues with it (actually i quite love it), but noticed one thing with the guitar tone.....its almost identical to the "imposible to replicate" Master of Puppets tone !!
Realising this my inner monologue said, 'WTF?' and "what damn amps were they using".......so yeah, any one know what amps they were using, or has realised the similarity?

Hail Overkill

Daniel\m/

SoundMaster said:
I Know nothing about the tone, but I can say that that record is their magnum opus, is arguably the greatest thrash record ever, and is still vital and relevant today!

Awesome record.

Overkill was never the same without Gustafson. :(

I agree with Everything cept for the last part ... but that is because my Favorite Overkill is Decay and up ... Merrit Gant and Rob Cavinno(sp) were great Sebastian Marino and Joe Comeau were good to ... particularly Live! and man what a great duo Derrik Tailor and Dave Linsk are turning out to be ... needless to say I am used to the revolving door of Guitar Players but the one Overkill member I will truely and greatly miss is Tim Mallare he was IMO their best drummer .... but yes I agree Y.O.D. is one of the Finest Thrash albums ever!

Tears of Decay rocks, WFO is okay, its probably with I Hear Black , my least favorite. Bloodletting kicks ass and so does From The Underground and Below.

Nebulous said:
I was actually looking at Feel the Fire when i bought YoD, but i was afraid the it would suffer in sound quality being their first album, how good/ bad is it?

After YOD, it's my fav Overkill release.
The sound/production is obviously not up-to-par with later releases, but still holds it's own and lends a 'classic old school' metal vibe to the great songs contained within.

The sound/production is better than other debuts such as Killing Is My Business, Fistful of Metal, Bonded By Blood, etc. In my view, the sound is similar to the debut by Metal Church but just slightly less 'clean'. The vocals still rock....the songwriting is TOP NOTCH. It's a true underground classic!!!

oooo TYOD is an amazing album, my fav. Overkill. I suggest you get Under The Influence if you haven't gotten it yet, that's another good'n.

Don't you guys know that Hetfield joined Overkill just before Under The Influence....just watch the video for Hello From The Gutter:loco:

Nebulous said:
I was actually looking at Feel the Fire when i bought YoD, but i was afraid the it would suffer in sound quality being their first album, how good/ bad is it?

its my least favorite one .... and I LOVE Overkill .... but if ya dont mind paper thin production and if ya dont mind Blitz sounding like his Balls were cut off then go for it :D .... thats just me though I will always prefere the later releases

Feel the Fire is fucking AWESOME. Not one bad riff or moment on it, if you want absolutely perfect NWOBHM-Thrash transitional rockage (ala Show No Mercy, Kill Em All), then GET IT.

Nebulous said:
After having recently clicked with Horrorscope after like a year, and being a bit of a fan of the 2 most recent Overkill albums, i finally found The years of Decay during my last CD haul (allong with Dark Tranquillity's Caos Reissue).
While i love the Years of decay and have only minimal issues with it (actually i quite love it), but noticed one thing with the guitar tone.....its almost identical to the "imposible to replicate" Master of Puppets tone !!
Realising this my inner monologue said, 'WTF?' and "what damn amps were they using".......so yeah, any one know what amps they were using, or has realised the similarity?

Hail Overkill

Daniel\m/
MASTER OF PUPPETS
GUITARS Jackson KV1 (King V - Dave Mustaine signature serie) White, triangle inlays Duncan humbuckers, replaced by two EMG 81 humbuckers in 1987 With this guitar James used to play "The Thing That Should Not Be" during "Master of Puppets" gigs Neck thru body, poplar body, ebony fingerboard LSR tuning machines Last time used live: 1987 (Jaymz broke the neck down the middle)
Amps Mesa-Boogie Mark C+ amp (re-wired as a pre-amp) Marshall 100 watt power amp Marshall 4x12 cabinets
Found on the below website:
http://www.encycmet.com/equipment/jayhiseq.shtml

Years of Decay is one of my favorite thrash albums ever, end of story. There really isn't an album i DON'T like from Overkill. Sure, I Hear Black and yes, even the new one is kinda blah (IMO), but they're still not bad by any means. Overkill is one of my all-time faves for a damn good reason.