MEGAMixatron - S.2, Lolzgreg reamps, general amazingness inside.

N.Y. avatar?! if that's the case, how did you get your toms to sound like that? fucking awesome, please share the chain. only thing I'm not liking is the kick, too much high-mids for me. this isn't crabcore! and the snare is ringing at this wierd hollow frequency, try cutting at like 500-1000 hz (somewhere around there, mess with it, i would replace it with some slate shit tbh), and don't get too bold at the high-end either, try cutting at like 10khz also, to give it more body, the snare i mean. but this has gotta be one of the best bass/guitar-combinations i've heard, they blend perfectly. well done!

N.Y. avatar?! if that's the case, how did you get your toms to sound like that? fucking awesome, please share the chain.
Soft comp in Superior, then send all the toms to a track within the DAW and subtractive eq on the high end followed by comp and saturator and limiter.
then buss out and mix in another buss for the toms with heavily comp'd and distorted settings along with cutting all 500hz and blend to taste.

only thing I'm not liking is the kick, too much high-mids for me. this isn't crabcore!
funny this because the kick has a massive scoop around 3khz of like 6-7db

the snare is ringing at this wierd hollow frequency, try cutting at like 500-1000 hz (somewhere around there, mess with it, i would replace it with some slate shit tbh), and don't get too bold at the high-end either, try cutting at like 10khz also, to give it more body, the snare i mean.

Im not keen on the typical 'slate' sound all the snares have in their packs (i do own them thou) Ive been trying to get the best sound i can from avatar without having to go back to SSD. Mainly to prove to myself that i can get good sounds from it

but this has gotta be one of the best bass/guitar-combinations i've heard, they blend perfectly. well done!
Greg is an awesome dude for re-amps and mix help. Ive had the pleasure of working with him for just over a year and he's yet to disappoint me.

I'm really digging that bass tone. Any details? The kick and the bass fit perfectly together. Really sweet stuff dude.

Bobby

I'm really digging that bass tone. Any details? The kick and the bass fit perfectly together. Really sweet stuff dude.

Bobby

bass tone details (pretty extensive)

two tracks

DI > Distortion > EQ cut all below 500 > Comp
DI > Ampeg SVT > EQ

Both tracks get sent to a master bass buss

Multiband comp > EQ (cutting more mids, sub and resonant bass peaks) > Hard Comp > limit

Job done :)

Kick is slate kick with EQ, comp, limiter and saturation.

I really like everything except for the snare. The toms really do sound awesome.
thanks for sharing the details

Cool stuff. Some pointers from this end:

- The guitars are cloudy in the mids, and perhaps a touch heavy on the mid-bass/200hz area. They could use to be a bit clearer - as they are interfering with the prominence of the bass as well as the midrange of the mix.

- Bass guitar is a little tubby. Maybe take a look at that whole 160 to 300hz area and see if it's all in check.

- The rest would be personal taste more or less, but the snare is a little bright for me.

My biggest issue with this mix is your lack of cohesiveness in the drum department. It doesn't sound like a kit to me. Almost every post I've made as of late shares the issue. I think an important thing about any recording is that the elements work together. There is something about the chunk of the snare I don't like in particular. It's somewhere in the low mids, and when it smacks, it just sounds cheap to me. I would work out that area by sweeping with a tall, narrow boost, and finding the offending frequency.

Toms have something similar going on.

Save this project as a new file, reset your mixer, start from scratch. You'll be happier... I promise. It took me a few shots on my last mix. I knew where I wanted it, but I was having trouble getting there.

I do agree that the guitars are a hair cloudy. It could have to do with where you LP'd.

Cool stuff. Some pointers from this end:

- The guitars are cloudy in the mids, and perhaps a touch heavy on the mid-bass/200hz area. They could use to be a bit clearer - as they are interfering with the prominence of the bass as well as the midrange of the mix.

- Bass guitar is a little tubby. Maybe take a look at that whole 160 to 300hz area and see if it's all in check.

- The rest would be personal taste more or less, but the snare is a little bright for me.

Ill have a look at implementing these changes and see how they work later this evening when ive finished working :)

My biggest issue with this mix is your lack of cohesiveness in the drum department. It doesn't sound like a kit to me. Almost every post I've made as of late shares the issue. I think an important thing about any recording is that the elements work together. There is something about the chunk of the snare I don't like in particular. It's somewhere in the low mids, and when it smacks, it just sounds cheap to me. I would work out that area by sweeping with a tall, narrow boost, and finding the offending frequency.

Save this project as a new file, reset your mixer, start from scratch. You'll be happier... I promise. It took me a few shots on my last mix. I knew where I wanted it, but I was having trouble getting there.

I do agree that the guitars are a hair cloudy. It could have to do with where you LP'd.

hmmm, i personally think its only needing a few thinks to make it work as a whole. Starting from scratch would be a little drastic as if to say that this challenge is over.
Remember ive only been doing mixing / recording bands for the last year and a half so im probs still in a the noob section of the industry.
If i had the time id try a secondary mix but unfortunately until my uni/band/other jobs work load decreases i dont think i'll be able to hand the stress of going from the begining again :p
But thanks buddy for the help you know its ALWAYS appreciated.

I love the snare ring!

haha cheers dude :p from what ive read on here you're rather particular about how you like drums to sound so that means a fair bit :)

I love the drum's and bass tone, everything is glued together, amazing !
Probably one of the sweestest tone I've heard from SD2 :)

+ 1 it pretty much sums it up. The kit dosen't feel glued together, and sounds a bit to fake for my taste

The 2nd take definately slays a lot more than the first one.
The way those kinda dissonnant chords come up front sounds killer to me, versus the 1st take.

Second attempt is much better!

The 2nd take definately slays a lot more than the first one.
The way those kinda dissonnant chords come up front sounds killer to me, versus the 1st take.

the second mix for the most part fixed the issues I would have pointed out. Not a huge fan of the snare and snare ambience (be it room samples or verb), but that's more a taste thing.

Cheers for the kind words chaps :D

Sounds pretty killer man! What are you using for guitars?
guitars are re-amps from lolzgreg
left guitar i think is a 5150 III and the right is his baron K2

Nice one George, guitars and bass sound luuuuuuuuuuuush, my only crit is that the snare just has a real unnatural ring to it (on both, a lot less on the second one though)

Any vocals going on it?