Mel Gibson's melancholy burning

Toorop

..|.
Dec 17, 2001
in your bum
Visit site
I saw yesterday that movie 'Hamlet' with Mel Gibson and at one moment he says 'frailty, thy name is woman'.And we all know here that Michael sings in '...Of Melancholy Burning' the sentence 'frailty,thy name is weakness'.
Was he somehow inspired by Shakespeare's play when he wrote that song? What do you think? Or maybe it was by the movie. In that case he could have had entitled it '...Of MelGibson Burning':)

'twas shakespeare, that line is in the actual play. i remember noticing it sometime ago, and perhaps it was not the only shakespeare quote... however, saying he was "inspired" by the author sounds a bit too much for me. after all that line is fairly well known, so maybe mikael just thought a variation on it fitted the theme of the song.

rahvin.

Niklas and Mikael said that they were highly influenced by english writers in their early lyrics, so it would make sense if they had borrowed that phrase from Hamlet.

There are more of those on The Gallery -album. "The outstretched fingers that seize and hold the wind" is Shakespeare-quote as well (or at least close to one) and there was another one that I can't remember right now...

-Villain