Melechesh (Any Fans Around?)

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Melechesh has their new record coming out soon, entitled The Epigenesis. For those who are not familiar with the band, they were really the first metal band to combine Middle Eastern with the heavier stuff... The sound could be described as "Middle Eastern Thrashy Black Metal", but with a lot of other influences (even some progressive metal).

Their album has been getting a lot of media attention - cover stories all over the world and is considered one of the most anticipated releases of the year. Considering how ProgPower has been expanding its horizons and how a lot of people around here like the heavier stuff, I figured I'd give them a little plug.

Here's a track off their new record:

For those who are into the style, this is real quality stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Orphaned Land put out Sahara before they put out their first demo. I haven't been able to get into this band.

I was trying to like the instrumentals, but they didn't seem to have any dynamics. It's like they were going on 10 throughout the whole song, which isn't my thing. Also, not a fan of the vocals. But I kinda like what they were trying to do.

Orphaned Land put out Sahara before they put out their first demo. I haven't been able to get into this band.

You know, you are right. I guess I didn't get my dates right. For some reason, I was under the impression these guys are a year older than Orphaned Land. Good call.

However, I meant more the mixture of middle eastern and black metal. All good! =)

I was trying to like the instrumentals, but they didn't seem to have any dynamics. It's like they were going on 10 throughout the whole song, which isn't my thing. Also, not a fan of the vocals. But I kinda like what they were trying to do.

The new album has blazing black metal anthems played with twelve string guitars and sitars, a lot of unique middle eastern instrumentals, songs that have *a lot* of dynamics, and a 12 minute long epic closer.

Try this one. Orphaned Land fans will love this one:

You know, you are right. I guess I didn't get my dates right. For some reason, I was under the impression these guys are a year older than Orphaned Land. Good call.

They were both doing things at the same time though. Probably completely without awareness of each other.

Love Melechesh!!! Been a fan since they released Djinn back in 2001. Looking forward to checking out the new release!

For some reason I don't even think that OL and Melechesh are comparable...but I do think that Melechesh kicks Nile's ass!!! :devil:

Love Melechesh!!! Been a fan since they released Djinn back in 2001. Looking forward to checking out the new release!

For some reason I don't even think that OL and Melechesh are comparable...but I do think that Melechesh kicks Nile's ass!!! :devil:

Melechesh and Nile are always compared, but I think it's more due to the fact that they use similar lyrical themes than anything. As far as "their metal", I'd consider Melechesh to be more Black Metal oriented, while Nile plays blistering and pounding death metal.

What prevents me from getting into that song is the constant buzz of distorted chords running together.

What prevents me from getting into that song is the constant buzz of distorted chords running together.

I think part of why they sound that way is due to the fact they recorded a lot of the rhythm guitars using 12 string electrics... I personally think it sounds kinda cool.

Back on the Nile and Melechesh comparison... I just (literally half hour ago) did a phone interview with Ashmedi from Melechesh and that was something we talked about. He was telling me about how him and Karl Sanders from Nile often talk about those comparisons and how much it amuses them. Other than the lyrical content (and not entirely, since Nile talks mainly about Egyptian mythology while Melechesh deals with Mesopotamian/Sumerian mysticism and the occult) and the fact that they're both active metal bands, there ain't much else that's similar.

An example? Here's a track off Nile's last album "Those Whom the Gods Detest" (which I actually find it to be a killer record as well):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IVF8WYxRU8&feature=related[/ame]

AngraRules: For the record, believe me, I know there is a vast difference in musical styles between the 2 bands...I merely lumped them together due to similar lyrical themes. I prefer the blackened approach of Melechesh over the death-style possessed by Nile. But, I must say...I LOVE the solo stuff by Karl Sanders...I would love to see the guys with Melechesh do an "instrumental" release ala Saurian Meditation!

I'm quite a fan. Got the new album. Not as immediate as Emisseries was, or as thrashy as Djinn or Sphrinx were (which is a good thing). They've definitely improved since As Jerusalem Burns . .

Here's another one from Emissaries - track 1. Rebirth of the Nemesis