Melechesh (Any Fans Around?)

AngraRules: For the record, believe me, I know there is a vast difference in musical styles between the 2 bands...I merely lumped them together due to similar lyrical themes. I prefer the blackened approach of Melechesh over the death-style possessed by Nile. But, I must say...I LOVE the solo stuff by Karl Sanders...I would love to see the guys with Melechesh do an "instrumental" release ala Saurian Meditation!

Sanders's solo stuff is indeed great.

AngraRules: For the record, believe me, I know there is a vast difference in musical styles between the 2 bands...I merely lumped them together due to similar lyrical themes. I prefer the blackened approach of Melechesh over the death-style possessed by Nile. But, I must say...I LOVE the solo stuff by Karl Sanders...I would love to see the guys with Melechesh do an "instrumental" release ala Saurian Meditation!

I'm sure you did bro, don't get me wrong. I didn't try to imply you didn't know the difference between the two bands. Only reason why I mentioned that was due to the fact that I explained later (see my post about my interview with Ashmedi this afternoon). I happen to like both Nile and Melechesh. Nile's last album was the best in their catalog by far. Supreme production, great compositions and a lot of boundary-breaking by the band. Oh yeah, and it crushes from beginning to end too. Did you happen to spin it at all? If not, do it! It may win you over.

As for Karl Sanders Saurian Meditations and Saurian Exorcisms albums, only one word: Amazing.

Yeah, Melechesh is fucking great. Worth noting is that they fled Israel for the anti-religious sentiment on their first album: As Jerusalem Burns. Pretty controversial for 1996 in that region. The album Djinn is pretty good, but I think they really hit their stride with Sphynx. Easily my favorite album of theirs. At that time, they had Proscriptor McGovern (of Absu fame) on the drumkit. Awesome.

I know that I mentioned this band in another thread and you said you dug it, Milton, but for the rest of the guys...if you like Orphaned Land and Melechesh:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwBKnXoZPXI&feature=related[/ame]

Arkan just has the one album, Hilal; and it is a tour de force. I can thank Justin (mosquito) for that recommendation. Fucking awesome.

Also, with the Nile issue:

I think Nile has always been death metal elite. But they've been death metal + Egyptian interludes for sooo long. I think they really nailed it with Annihilation of the Wicked. That's when they took all the best death metal elements from their previous work, injected the Egyptian stuff way more appropriately, and made the music just a tad bit more accessible for those who don't like it on hyperblast the whole time.

They followed it up nicely, too. Those Whom the Gods Detest is pretty damn great also.

Yeah, Melechesh is fucking great. Worth noting is that they fled Israel for the anti-religious sentiment on their first album: As Jerusalem Burns. Pretty controversial for 1996 in that region. The album Djinn is pretty good, but I think they really hit their stride with Sphynx. Easily my favorite album of theirs. At that time, they had Proscriptor McGovern (of Absu fame) on the drumkit. Awesome.

That's right in part. There were other issues that caused Ashmedi to move to the Netherlands. The anti-religious sentiment was part of it, but not the whole reason.

Palabra de Dios said:
I know that I mentioned this band in another thread and you said you dug it, Milton, but for the rest of the guys...if you like Orphaned Land and Melechesh:

Arkan just has the one album, Hilal; and it is a tour de force. I can thank Justin (mosquito) for that recommendation. Fucking awesome.

Hilal is indeed a killer disc.

As for Karl Sanders Saurian Meditations and Saurian Exorcisms albums, only one word: Amazing.

+1

I think Melechesh is great. I know Palabra De Dios digs em, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pellaz enjoyed them as well.

I'd heard the name a lot, but hadn't really listened to them. After hearing them in this thread, I'll definitely get their next CD.

I love the band ever since I found out about em right before the release of their 3rd album and have this album preordered. Really anticipating it's arrival. So far all of the band's material has been absolutely solid, and judging by the track given at the first post, they're still strong as hell.

and I want to like Arkan, but i've never been a big fan of the Behemoth style vocals.