Meliah Rage... Any Fans?

DrkLrdViper666

Frontman/Vocalist/Singer
Apr 21, 2008
Covington, Ga.
I always loved this lesser known, & very underrated Traditional Classic Metal/Thrash Metal band from boston! I think I bought "Kiil To Survive" for 4 or 5 dollars on cassette when it first came out! I also LOVED there 2nd album "Solitary Solitude", particuarly the song "Swallow Your Soul"!:headbang:
Incidentally, Sully Erna of Godsmack played drums for them on the "Unfinished Business" album! Also last summer, they just came out w/ a brand new abum
entitled "Masquerade" w/ original front man & lead singer, Mike Munro!!!:kickass: If any of you really liked them back in the day w/ Mike Munro, then I can assure you won't be disappointed at all w/ their new album!!! :headbang:

Oh, hell yes!!! Been a huge fan since '88 (Kill To Survive). I have every album except Masquerade - you just reminded me that I need to pick it up!

Finally saw them a few years ago on tour w/ Metal Church. Talked to Tony Nichols (the founder) for a long time after the show - awesome, awesome dude.

Although I'm glad to see that original vocalist Mike Munro is back in the band, I really liked the Paul Souza-era stuff. One of my favorite songs is actually a side project Paul and Tony did in the 90s called Cactusland:

Now if you really want to be surprised, check out their, um, non-metal side project Velveteen Playboys - http://www.myspace.com/velveteenplayboys

Meliah Rage is definitely one of my favorite bands! :kickass: :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that was classic. I don't know how I kept that truck on the road in the snowstorm! :loco:

There's nothing like hearing road stories from guys in the band...

Cool song, The Cactusland one!:kickass: I have to admit, after Mike Munro left them,
I pretty much stopped listening. But I most definitely LOVE paul souza's vocals as well! I'm also a lead singer btw!:headbang: So, do you reccomend the other Paul Souza albums as well?!

I only ever liked one song from Meliah Rage. It was an instrumental called The Last Detail from the Death Valley Dreaming album. That song absolutely rocks. I gave Kill To Survive a listen in high school and was kinda disappointed in it because at the time I was looking for the fastest thrash I could find!

Wasn't there a 4 song or so EP that came out from these guys back at the beginning? i think I had a cassette tape of that and really enjoyed it. I can't even remember it now - but sometimes I will see one of their cds in a bargain rack someone and am always tempted to grab it. Heard they were starting back up - or did they ever really stop playing?

Yep, really good band that probably would have been bigger but like Metal Church and many others from that time they didn't really fit neatly into any one genre/category; not thrashy enough for Thrash, to thrashy for the mainstream/classic metal fans, etc. Bought the first album on tape when it came out without a clue who they were, and have bought everything since.

Good to see them back w/ Munro for the classic sound, but Souza was as good a replacement as you could ask for to keep it still sounding like MR.

Wasn't there a 4 song or so EP that came out from these guys back at the beginning? i think I had a cassette tape of that and really enjoyed it.

You're probably thinking of Live Kill, a 5-song EP released one year after Kill To Survive. Interestingly, the song Kill To Survive was left off of the album Kill To Survive due to label worries during the PMRC days. The song then appeared on the Live Kill EP.

One of their best songs, IMO, is Beginning of the End:

So, do you reccomend the other Paul Souza albums as well?!

I do. Both Meliah Rage albums he did are solid - Barely Human and The Deep and Dreamless Sleep. I think they made a conscious effort to update the Meliah Rage sound (I think with radio play in mind, based on the vibe I get from the video for Undefeated):

Right now, Meliah Rage and Velveteen Playboys are the only places you can hear Paul's work, AFAIK. There are Meliah Rage side projects he was on - Cactusland and Lackluster - but neither is readily available.

bump again....

MELIAH RAGE WELCOME BACK SINGER PAUL SOUZA

"...Long-running Boston-based power metallers Meliah Rage have announced that they’ve reunited with singer Paul Souza, the vocal powerhouse that can be heard on the their Barely Human (2004), The Deep And Dreamless Sleep (2006) and Dead To The World (2011) albums. The band are currently working on the follow-up to 2014’s Warrior, with an expected release date later this year via Metal On Metal Records...."