Melodic death metal mix

deathkllr84

New Metal Member
Mar 20, 2010
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5319877/Deathkllr84 - Welcome.mp3

I would appreciate some feedback on this mix. It's just a song I wrote and recorded in 2 days. I realize it is not amazing, I am mixing on computer speakers :puke:

Drums are dfk except for the kick and ride, which are custom samples.

I don't quite recall the guitars atm, but it was along the lines of:

TSS > Legion Simamp > JJ Powertube impulse > Lots of EQ

Anyway let me know what you think, pick at what you like or don't like. :headbang:

Referencing from Testament's The Gathering, since it was what I was listening to when I opened this thread.

The whole mix needs more low end. Sounds like you put a high pass at 80hz on the master bus.

Guitar tones sound small and rather boxy. I imagine this has a LOT to do with the overall lack of low end.

Yeah I did just realize that the bass is kind of barely audible, but I remember messing with the bass volume last night and if I raised/boosted it too much it ruined the mix. As in, the kick got started to not cut through the mix, etc etc.

And yes, computer speakers suck, lol. But at least you're already hearing the finished product. I don't know if I would HP the guitars anymore, I think I already have at 50hz-ish.

Yeah I did just realize that the bass is kind of barely audible, but I remember messing with the bass volume last night and if I raised/boosted it too much it ruined the mix. As in, the kick got started to not cut through the mix, etc etc.

And yes, computer speakers suck, lol. But at least you're already hearing the finished product. I don't know if I would HP the guitars anymore, I think I already have at 50hz-ish.

No Prob i HP at 100hz if i need to

I agree with Shaun that the guitars could be highpassed a little higher to make them sound more focused. More bass overall is needed, but it doesn't sound bad at all. I think mixing on computer speakers is okay as long as you make sure to reference on plenty of different sound sources. I check my mix on computer speakers all the time, but I also listen in my car and on iPod headphones just to make sure it translates. As far as the song goes, I thought it was pretty good, although I did feel that the breakdown went on for way too long.

I dont think you need to high pass the guitars further up. scoop some mids maybe 700hz? and bring up the bass. The snare seems a tad quiet as well, custom kick sample eh? sharing is caring ;O haha.