Melodic Metalcore I Just Mixed/Mastered

ajleddx17

New Metal Member
Jul 15, 2014
I just finished up a mix and master of this really cool melodic metalcore track. I would love to hear any feedback on this as well :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
haha, yea i did :) I just don't have the room or enough mics to record a whole kit so samples worked out

The clean guitar might have a bit too much low mids to achieve the sound you're looking for. I'd suggest you re-eq the cymbals or use another cymbals library, as they sound a bit harsh, poke in volume at weird places, and essentially drag the mix down. The guitar isn't perfect, but as of yet it's probably better not to touch it too much. The lead guitars could be retracked though, the playing is a bit soulless. The bass drum and snare are also a bit weak: try referencing albums you like and mixing and matching bass drum and snare samples in order to imitate the sounds you enjoy. I think that once the cymbals are cleared up, you'll find the mix breathes a lot more and you'll be able to have a better sounding bass. A bit of distortion and clank would go a long way in making the mix a bit fuller.

Soundcloud tends to do some weird stuff to the highs, but i'll definitely check around for some different cymbals.

Thanks for the feedback :headbang::headbang:

I'm OK with samples but I'd recomend paying more attention to humanizing MIDIs (timing and velocities). I know that - when done properly - it can help in an invaluable way!

Anyways:
1. The shells lacks some "body" (I'd search in 450-1250 area)
2. Cymbals are a little bit to harsh for me
3. Guitars have some nice bite :)
4. I like when basses have noce grindy/growly mid-to-hi OD in lo/hi mid section and I think this is what is missing here

Cheers, :kickass:
Gac

I haven't really messed around with a more growly bass tone, I'll definitely try that out!!! I'll see what i can do about the drums as the do sound a little robotic

Love the feedback :headbang::headbang:

Of course its ALWAYS better to record real drummer behind real drums but sometimes you just need to save the situation using MIDIs ;). If you have no clue how to start with himanization I'd suggest looking on how some MIDI libraries were recorded e.g. grooves library from Metal Machine EZX (recorded by John Tempesta) or Library of Extreme (Dirk Verbeuren). Especially the second one can show you how could real drummer play your stuff :).