Mesa boogie dual rectifier settings?

Leon--

Apr 17, 2009
London
alright so on friday i will enter a high quality studio in london in order to reamp 3 jobs that i've produced:
1)black metal album,marduk/dark funeral style
2)brutal death metal promo,really fast speeds 280 bpm blastbeats and 255 doublebass
3)swedish Death metal demo.
equipment:
mesa boogie dual recitfier,peavey 6505 with a marshall 1960 cab.
I know how to handle a peavey but i never had a mesa boogie in the studio.
Do you have any cool settings to suggest?it will be cool to try some ideas from this forum along with mine.
thanks
/Leon

Boogie Settings are quite simple, actually you can't fail with that. I usually keep my settings close to noon, something like bass 13o'clock, mids 10.30ish, treble 11.30ish, presence to taste (talking bout channel 2, modern). but really depends on the guitar and the cab. a tubescreamer puts the amp to a whole new level imo, so consider that! just pay attention if you use channel 3, the presence knob works different there!

thanks a lot man i will try your suggestions!in general do you prefer channel 2 or 3?can't wait to try the boogie in this great studio

^^ Yep :D

@Leon: I use Channel 2 for rhythm tracks. You can even get a useful metalsound with the vintage-mode, Ola used it in his video for example.

I use a 3 channel rectifier as my main amp and set it (in o'clock numbers) presence 10 bass 10 master 10 mid 1 treble 2 gain 1 with boost 2-3 without boost. This is channel 3 modern silicon diodes and with fx loop bypassed. The presence control is psycho on channel 3 and gets real fizzy quick. These settings work with mesa os cab you may get away with more bass on the 1960 cab.

^^ Yep :D

@Leon: I use Channel 2 for rhythm tracks. You can even get a useful metalsound with the vintage-mode, Ola used it in his video for example.

I see.....never heard it called 13 o' clock though....more like 1300. Or 1:00. But, if its 13....that'd make it 6:30 pm? *brain explodes*

Haha, yeah, let's just stick to 1 o'clock, to avoid any complications :D i dunno, for me it was just sensible to call it 13, cause if it's 10:30 for mids and 11:30 for treble and i wanna say MOAR BASS!!! i also wanna use a higher number for that.. :D

When I owned a Dual Rec, I found that I liked the orange channel for low volume playing, but red channel for high volume playing/recording. When you go into red channel modern, the amp tone gets fizzy and heavy on the high mids, but this is alright, don't panic, just play with the channel vol until the fizz goes away and the midrange matures. FX loop bypassed is the way to go for the clearest recordings. BMT to taste, and the gain knob is very tonal as well. The higher the gain knob is the more natural the low end sounds, and lower gain settings equals more low chop. Tubescreamers in front = win.

If you use the MODERN mode on Recto, I suggest lowering the bass to somewhere between 9-11 o'clock. "The" nu-metal settings are gain 3 o'clock, bass 10 o'clock, middle 1 o'clock, treble 2 o'clock and presence 1 o'clock. Petrucci had presence on ZERO so you can try that setting also.

Everything 12 o'clock is how the amp was designed. It's got a natural mid-scoop.

Oh my dear, ""The" nu metal" setting looks like it sounds like shit :lol:

Seriously, you have to mic ten meters beside the cone or you will die the fizzdeath...