Mesa Boogie

Zac

Videodrome
Dec 4, 2003
Southern California
Most likely Iam the only bassist lurking in the guitar masterbation forum, however Iam sure some of you here are familiar with Mesa's stuff.

Ive heard the following

1.Their gear is amazing
2.Their gear is good, but not that good.
3.Mesa is horribly overpriced.

Any truth to these?
Ive heard some good things about their bass stuff, so if anyone can fill me in on the quality of Mesa Boogie...it would be much appreciated.

Zac

Hi, Zac!!!
I can speak only for me, i have played some of mesa stuff. the head was the one petrucci uses, but i did not played it over the same cab´s. but i guess u really have to take your time to make a sound. anyway, i was not satisfied...and they were sooo overpriced, you won´t believe!! thats, why i bought the powerball. when i was looking for cabs, i tried different speakers. the cool thing was: why i was playing, the guy of the store was switching the cabs! so i could play and hear the differences. it did not take long to see (hear), that the engl sound was more transparent and more powerfull! the most expensive mesa speaker sounded somewhat muffled and öhm... blurry, if you know, what i mean. there was a lack of definition in its sound... i don´t know if their bass stuff is better- for me mesa boogie is not that great...hope this helps in some way...

Zac said:
Most likely Iam the only bassist lurking in the guitar masterbation forum, however Iam sure some of you here are familiar with Mesa's stuff.

Ive heard the following

1.Their gear is amazing
2.Their gear is good, but not that good.
3.Mesa is horribly overpriced.

Any truth to these?
Ive heard some good things about their bass stuff, so if anyone can fill me in on the quality of Mesa Boogie...it would be much appreciated.

Zac
Hey Zac,
It really depends on the sound you want, and which mesa gear you are looking at. Personally I don't care for the Mesa sound but it's build quality is pretty good.

I was checking out their "Powerhouse" cabients
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/bcab_selector.htm

Iam in the market for a new cab, Ive been tweaking my setup latley & I really need a full range. Playing a 6 string through 2X10's is fine, but my low end, while being somewhat decent is lacking in my opinion.

So with that said Iam looking for a 2X15 setup (which they make) to fill out my bottom end. The only reason I brought up the Mesa stuff is because I can get somewhat of a deal on it....but from the forum, and a few emails. Ive gotten, their stuff isnt sounding to promising.

Mesa has really sweet bottom-end, but other areas are kind of lacking. My friend actually plays through a mesa and marshall head with his band because the marshall has the better mids and high range, whereas the Mesa gives him the low-end he's looking for. I believe he runs them through two separate cabs. I use a 5150 cab because they're cheap, loud, and they're great for metal. Harmonics sound especially killer through the 5150 head. I have never tried the kind of amp that the guys in JP play through, but they sure do sound great on the recordings!