Mesa F50 Tone Test

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Well this is the first time trying to record my amp in a long time. I just recently got a Saffire Pro40 and decided to try and reamp without the use of a reamp box since I don't have one yet. What do you think? I've been struggling to get a good metal rhythm tone with this amp. My cab is a genz benz gflex 2x12 miked with a 57. THe master on the amp is only at about 8 o'clock which is not ideal at all with this amp especially. I have the cab on elevated about 1 1/2 feet off the floor via an amp stand. Should I try and put the cab on the floor?

Here is anothe version with the amp master volume louder. I like this one the best I think.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51105490/Mesa F50 ToneTestlouder.mp3

update with the master on the amp higher (almost 9 o'clock) and slightly different post eq. Forgot to mention the mic positioning was slightly different as well. It was moved a little further away from the cap than the original.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51105490/Mesa F50 ToneTesthigherpost.mp3

here is the original which I actually think sounds better. Although I think it's due more to the mic positioning than the master volume.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51105490/Mesa F50 ToneTest2.mp3

I can't listen at the moment but I used to have an f30 and got some great tones from it. If I remember corectly the 30 has 34's vs the 50 that had 6l6s so it will a bit different character. But if I remember correctly I always had the contour on, and the amp handled halfway between a dual rec and a lonestar. Always started will tone and gain at 2 o'clock and dialed from there. Gain sweet spot was around 1 o'clock for a real crisp sear, bass around noon.

Funny enough it was a 1x12 v30 combo amp that I had pumped through my ported gflex. For reference I currently play a modded sovtek mig100 modded to 50w, takes 6l6s and has a custom phat switch and a resonance knob(a la the peavy jsx and 5150) don't mean to whore my amp out but I love her.

Back on topic, The ports in the gflex are a hugeee part of the low end. I haven't really had a huge amount of time recording at a decent level and playing around with mics, but generally I found if I close miced the v30 and did a room mic at about 5ft high and 5ish ft out I captured that solid thumb.

EDIT: gave a quick listen on some iphone buds:

def like the original better. More in your face and upfront. the tricky thing I noticed with my f30, which you might not have with the 6l6's, was some frizzy high end and lack of low mid meat. Overall I like the tone. I think it could use a touch more low end punch, but there's also no bass, yes? So depending, that may be fine too.

Ill have to give a listen on my monitors later. Glad to see some F-series love though

thanks for listening. Lol there is bass but I didn't spend much time tweaking it so I just put it pretty low in the mix. It does add a good amount of bass to the mix though. I agree about the lack of bass in the guitars though. In the room it sounds like much more. I only had the bass on like 8 o'clock. I agree about the lack of lower mids though. I also wish there was a presence knob on the amp. I really like the cleans and slightly dirty sounds of the amp. Still not sure if it can handle modern metal rhythms though.