Mesa Mk3 v Mk4

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
I have sold a Gibson guitar and have money for a Mesa combo.
I am going for a combo so I can use it as a head in my studio and it will be portable enough to bring to the studio where I teach and also do sessions.

Locally I can get a Mk3 or Mk4 combo for about the same money.
Used prices are rock bottom.
Which of these would you get?
I need a versatile amp rather than a metal amp but good metal sound would be really useful for my own work.

Mk3
http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-amps/mesa-boogie-mark-iii/779919
or
http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-amps/mesa-boogie-mk3/1642351

Mk4
http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-amps/mesa-boogie-mark-iv/1626440
or
http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-amps/mesa-mark-iv/1657420

There is also an F30 available
http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-amps/mesa-boogie-f30/1619429

I am also considering a 5153 50WT and 2x12 Harley benton cab.
I have a couple of celestion 12s I can put in it.
I have heard Ola's MK4 clip and it is really swaying me towards a MK4 combo.
Thanks
Michael

Mk III is known to be the worst Mark series amp and those sell at least in Finland 2/3 Mark IV's price. I haven't tested neither, but I have monitored the prices pretty well before I bought Mark V head. Go for Mark IV if you can get that for same price!

Never played the III but heard one live that sounded pretty awesome, I thought.

I've owned the IV for about 8 years now and absolutely love it. I'd personally go for the IV because it's going to be a bit more versatile and most likely sounds a bit more modern, if that's what you're going for.

not meaning to hijack the thread, but open it up a bit... How about the V? I've been thinking about getting the MKV lately and have been wondering how people compare it to the IV. I've heard from people that love the V more than the IV and vise versa... What's YOUR opinion?

I've owned a Mark IV and Mark III at the same time. First I bought the Mark III and then my friend had a Mark IV and we did an A/B test. I bought the Mark IV from him that same day. It was really THAT much better. I actually prefer the IV to the V. V just was not as ballsy as the IV.

So my advice (after owning about 10 different Mesa amps including three different Mark IVs) GET THE MARK IV!!!!!!!!

The Mark III was a transitional amp for Mesa. Basically started off as a Mark IIC+ with an extra channel and evolved into what would eventually become the Mark IV.

Red stripe Mark IIIs are known for retaining a lot of what made the IIC+ famous.

If the prices are the same I'd probably get the Mark IV. I prefer the punchier sound of the Pentode power section (Mark IV, Mark III green stripe) to that of the Triode power section (Mark III black, purple, red, and blue stripe). The Mark IV has the option of pentode or triode.

I have a red stripe Mark III...Totally dominates the high gain area!

Sure they are both good amps and you'd be happy with both but IMHO the Mark IV has a better clean channel and a better lead channel. Both have middle gain channels that I don't think anyone really likes. On the Mark III you have to share EQ settings while on the Mark IV you have separate for lead and clean. That alone would be enough IMO. And honestly I could easily make the Mark IV sound like my Mark III but the Mark III could not get as brutal as the Mark IV.

And honestly I could easily make the Mark IV sound like my Mark III but the Mark III could not get as brutal as the Mark IV.

Why do people say this type of thing when hyping an amps reputation? This makes no logical, scientific, or tonal sense. Get this kind of shit out of here. Some Dude knows his Mesa amps, good to see you pitch in here, listen to his advice.

Personally I've compared side by side a Mesa MKIII Coliseum and a 90's MKIV, and the Coliseum blew the tits off the MKIV, without question.

Thanks for the opinions guys.
I have made an offer on a MK4 combo.
Hopefully collect it tomorrow.
Look out for New Amp Day thread.

Why do people say this type of thing when hyping an amps reputation? This makes no logical, scientific, or tonal sense. Get this kind of shit out of here. Some Dude knows his Mesa amps, good to see you pitch in here, listen to his advice.

Personally I've compared side by side a Mesa MKIII Coliseum and a 90's MKIV, and the Coliseum blew the tits off the MKIV, without question.

I had a blue stripe MKIII and one of the very last MKIVs ever made. I tried different brands of EL34s and 6L6s in both amps and recorded them in my home studio. The difference was very clear. I don't own either of the above mentioned amps so I'm not biased to side on one over the other to make myself feel better. One simply is better in every aspect for what I am looking for in an amp and the other is also good but for me the choice would be ridiculously easy. Other people might feel differently since tone is a taste issue. This is just my 2 cents. If you like the tones I go for you might agree with me on this.

Get this kind of shit out of here.

This was a very mature comment. Thumbs up!

Remember that there's an A and B version of the Mark IV where the B is the modern sounding one and the A is closer to the III series.

Mk III is known to be the worst Mark series amp

Err... what?

The Mark III is the best Mark series amp as far as I'm concerned. Depending on the stripe, I'd take a Mark III over a IV any day :err:

The Mark IV is pretty much the most underwhelming Mesa amp I've owned, and I've owned 3.

The best advice would always be to go try them out and see what YOUR opinion on the subject it. But my experience on the Mark III is that it's a very good amp but the Mark IV is perfect. I'd probably use a tubescreamer with the Mark III since it doesn't have that juicy quality of the Mark IV. If I remember correctly the Mark III didn't have as much gain.

The MKIV is great, but there's nothing portable about that combo!

It's BY FAR the heaviest amp I've owned, many people can't even lift it, let alone carry it around.

Get a head for the studio and some small modelling combo for teaching

I have managed to get this one for €1150 flight cased. Collecting tonight.
http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-amps/mesa-mark-iv/1657420
Lasse, you are right. I have used these combos before and if you try and lift it, it feels like it's screwed to the floor!

The student sessions involve recording bands so a really great combo like the MKIV would be vastly better than a line6 or something.
I can always grab one of the students to help get it in and out of the car if needs be.

Also there are no MKIV heads around at the moment and the combo is a killer deal. I am really looking forward to having a mesa with a big mid range roar but less fizziness than my triple recto.
I am pretty sure you can get a rack kit for it and turn it into a rack mount head if I decide to go that route later.
How is the EV speaker?
I have a celestion v30 or g12 I can put in it.