Mesa Roadster Head

If you are primarily interested in a high gain channel and a clean channel get the dual. The dual is a lot more flexible than most people would lead you to believe anyway.
The roadster is insanely flexible but most folks just don't need 4 channels or all of the different mid-gain tone options. That said, the it is a fantastic studio head b/c it can pretty much cover any style well.

It also depends on which you prefer. I have heard many times that the voicing of the Roaster is more akin to the old 2 channel Rectos as opposed to the newer 3 channel Rectos.

-Joe

Yeah, the Roadster is absurdly awesome because of it's 4 channels of glee, and a guy I know who owns one says it can come a lot closer to the tones of the old 2-channel heads than the newer 3-channel heads (which are generally considered to be "harsher" sounding, and from all my experience hearing them both live and on albums, such as Misery Signals' Controller, I agree). Egan is right, the Duals are really versatile - in fact, in like an hour, I'm gonna make a video demo'ing my 2-channel Dual, cuz it's so fucking awesome and I wanna spread the love!

Marcus,

Where on the volume dial of the Recto would you say it really starts to interact with the speakers and sounds ballsy?

-Joe

Yeah, the Roadster is absurdly awesome because of it's 4 channels of glee, and a guy I know who owns one says it can come a lot closer to the tones of the old 2-channel heads than the newer 3-channel heads (which are generally considered to be "harsher" sounding, and from all my experience hearing them both live and on albums, such as Misery Signals' Controller, I agree). Egan is right, the Duals are really versatile - in fact, in like an hour, I'm gonna make a video demo'ing my 2-channel Dual, cuz it's so fucking awesome and I wanna spread the love!

You've already spreaded much love and I await your glorious demo! Just try to knock out the thin sound from your camera mic this time if you can...:)

Cheers for the replies dudes!

My dear mom said she'd get me an amp from her court settlement....gotta love her haha

im thinking im just gonna go for the dual , i really dont NEED 4 channels but it would be nice. Im kind of a plug and play type guitarist..Dont mind tweaking but when i need a degree in amp building just work the thing that turns me off.

the kinda tones im looking to get are VERY different , i need some kinda doom rocky kinda stuff as well as full on melodic death metal type sounds and the opethish cleans to boot...Thats why i thought the roadster originaly but if the dual can more than handel that...then i think i may have met my match :D
-Wyllie