MesaBoogie Mark IV SM57 V30

KillDivision

Aug 3, 2005
Holland, Zwolle
Mark IV SM57 V30

The chain: LTD EC1000 with JB > Mark IV > Koch Loadbox > Marshall 4x12 with a V30 > SM57 > MOTU896HD > Sonar. Normal lowpass and hipass, no gate, compression or any other effect.

The settings:
Lead gain Pull 7
Lead Treble 7
Lead bass 4
Lead mid 0
Lead Drive Pull 5.5
Lead Voicing on Mid Gain
EQ: dipping 750, rest high.
Presence on 4

It lacks some growl.
Would like to know wich kind of mike I should get for the growl.:ill:

Thrashy goodness! I love the Mark series for that type of sound. Your settings are pretty similar to what I used on my Mark III.

-Joe

Thanx guys!

I still think it's too creamy. Could use some raw edge to it.

Gonna get me an extra long mikecable and stand today to add a second mike.
See what that will bring me.

whaaaaat man thats like
the perfect blend of raw and creamy
PERFECT
sounds ready high and low-passed, perfect. i can see this tone just slotting right into a mix perfectly, just like that, totally perfect.
infact, feel like re-amping some stuff for me?

It sounds decent but it seems to be missing something, for one its really quite dark, maybe with some presence boost it would sound more in your face *what I prefer*

It sounds decent but it seems to be missing something, for one its really quite dark, maybe with some presence boost it would sound more in your face *what I prefer*

I know what you mean. While I LOVE this sound as is, I think if you were to add two more tracks of a JCM800 to this...oh man....old school thrash heaven. :headbang:

Definitely sounds a bit 'blanketed'. The core tone is there though and with successive attempts I think you'll nail it. It's a hell of an easy amp to record... it's just voiced in all the right regions. I tracked one alongside an Invader and Bugera 6260 one day. The Mark IV just sat in the right spot by default.

To answer your question from the first post... SM57s can get plenty of 'growl'. The issues lie elsewhere.

New ones, don't listen to the playing.

The first mp3 had a dip around the 450 hrz region, made it a bit brighter this time.
Also recorded a Studio Project B1 with a cheap Art Studio V3 preamp. There are different voicings on the Art, I dailed the E-kbd that is a bit brighter.

SM57+B1

SM57

StudioProjects B1 + Art

Also hi- and lowpass. No compression or other effect. This may be too honky for Gareth.

I'd say having the mids like dead center in between the first clip and where they are now would be just about perfect. However I do think the second set of clips would work really well for a thrash type tone.

If you want a more modern tone, here is what I usually use on my Mark IV:

I think the amp has too much high-mids with flat EQ, I turn the 2200 slider down, a lot, if not all the way. Boosting the 2200 really thins out the tone, and gives that typical thrash metal tone which I dislike. Cutting the 2200 is still a mid scoop for this amp. Boost the 750 to at least the middle line. I honestly think cutting the 750 at all makes the amp sound really weak and thin. Leave the 60 slider at mid line or lower, don't want to flub it out. Bring up the 240 slider until it starts to flub the speakers and then back it off a bit. 6000 at around mid-line or a bit higher. I personally like my presence pushed at 6-8.

What you have sounds great for a thrash metal tone though, I don't know what your going for.

Don't be afraid to push in the gain/drive and put them both at 8-10! Pulling them really tightens up the tone, but takes away a lot of the chunkiness.

Thanx IHate, will try that.

To do list friday:
- record Mark 4 more gain.
- record Mark 4 different eq
- record 2 more tracks of Windsor
- record 2 more tracks of Crate Stealth

I know, it's a Crate, but it's full-tube and sounds good and different. Could complement the Mesa or Windsor well.