Meshuggah

I started with Catch 33 and I really like it. It has some moments unique to Meshuggah. Nothing is good as well and a lot of people seem to like the I EP, though I haven't heard it yet.

Martin Hagstrom, one of the guitarists:

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]MU: With so much going on in the music, do you spend a lot of time planning out the music and counting out parts and things like that? [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans serif]MH: Well, actually, if we're talking music theory, when it comes down to what we're doing, we're in 4/4 most of the time. It's just we have these odd patterns going over it. Sometimes that leads to the conclusion that it's all something we CALCULATE. I can see why people would think that, and on hearing it, I would probably think the same. But the truth of it is we were writing tunes like this back in the day when we were still being influenced by the thrash era, and Metallica type stuff. So we've just grown into ourselves sort of, it's just the way it comes out, I don't know why. [/FONT]

Don't make me find interviews with the other members too :(

Who cares about interviews? :mad:

I want you to give me REASONS why i should count it as 4/4 instead of something which is MORE ACCURATE.

Fuck what the band members say. If Opeth calls their music hip hop, they are still wrong, aren't they?

If you pay attention and realize that after a certain number of repetitions of an odd-time riff there's always a shorter "filler" version of the riff that evens it out to a certain number of measures of 4/4, you'd realize that calling their music highly syncopated 4/4 makes perfect sense.

Lol, the band member's intended compositions matter less than hibernal dream's interpretation of them when discussing what time sig they're in i guess

FUCK RACHMANINOFF, WHAT IT SAYS ON THE SCORE MAKES LESS SENSE THAN SUBDIVIDING THE SYNCOPATION WHOMAG

There is a little something called polymeter, and perhaps thats whats going on and you two are ignoring it. Someone claims that the drums are in 4/4 and that the guitars arent, and that if you add up the sequences of the riffs and divide it comes out to 4/4. Well thats all well and good (even though its not how you figure out time sigs), but if one person is saying the song is in 13/8 and another is saying that its in 4/4 because the first is talking about the guitar and the second about the drums, theres going to be disagreement until the very end. From what I've noticed in Meshuggah songs, its really the polymeter that makes for the hypnotic feeling of the music.

There is a little something called polymeter, and perhaps thats whats going on and you two are ignoring it. Someone claims that the drums are in 4/4 and that the guitars arent, and that if you add up the sequences of the riffs and divide it comes out to 4/4. Well thats all well and good (even though its not how you figure out time sigs), but if one person is saying the song is in 13/8 and another is saying that its in 4/4 because the first is talking about the guitar and the second about the drums, theres going to be disagreement until the very end. From what I've noticed in Meshuggah songs, its really the polymeter that makes for the hypnotic feeling of the music.

I'm not ignoring anything, I'm just saying that the composers intended it as being in 4/4 and think of it that way, so screeching about how it's not in 4/4 like someone was doing earlier in this thread is retarded. I have a much easier time playing the guitar if I divide it into the weird time sigs myself.

Not wishing to derail the fascinating and deep dissection of Meshuggah's music, just thought I would add my love for this band. I cannot wait to see them live in November. I also very much like Thordendahl's side-project album Sol Niger Within.

Sol Niger Within is basically as good as Chaosphere, the only of Meshuggah's albums I'd say is definitely better than it is "I." SNW is just an awesome album.

Been listening quite heavily to "Nothing" through last week, uptil today. Pretty much a solid cd, not really any bad songs on it. Didn't like it at first when I heard it some years ago. But now, wow!
I and DEI is my favourites. Catch 33 also... thumbs up! Not to mention Chaosphere, that one's really a punch in the face. Contradictions Collapse, very, very, very, nice, (except Kidmans vocals are pretty :erk::ish at times)

Hell, all of their stuff = awesomeness.

I told one of my bandmates to listen to Nothing when he got into Meshuggah. He actually hated that album for a while, instead liking Chaosphere and DEI much better. I told him to keep listening to it and he eventually said it was an amazing album, along with I and even Catch 33. Meshuggah is really one of those bands that takes several listens to get into.

Personally, my favorite album is probably also Nothing, unless FT's Sol Niger Within is counted. That album is ridiculous.