Metal: A Headbanger's Journey

its pretty cool ... the guy tha made it is really knowledgable and really traveled around to get it made.

it has been all over cable the last few months ... I think VH1 Classic has been showing it.

I like the Netflicks idea but I'm a packaging whore. I have to have the real thing...same with cds. I also have a tendency to misplace copies (even though they have their own holders) so I'm sure I will just buy one. I need to look for it on cable in the meantime.

I'm keen to see the sequel, if it's ever made. If he truly applies his anthopology background, he would focus more on the community and the social structures of bands, fans, and events. And how the perception of metal differs between nations, etc. or rather, what the common threads are that keep this sub-genre ticking in the underground and entirely ignored as a relevant music genre by the overground.

It's worth viewing but Heavy Metal 101 has been done to death. I don't need to see or read another interview about Dio's "horns" or how Tony Iommi worked in a factory in the English midlands. The black metal stuff was ok -- even though Mayhem were drunk and useless, but again, you can youtube the recent Norwegian documentary on BM and get much more insight.

Also, he put together a 'family tree' of metal genres and while he included Glam Rock, he forgot to include Doom Metal. That really bugged me. :loco:

^ good point on the family tree

also some of his selections for interviews were extemely iffy
too many Slipknot interviews. isn't one too many?

It's pretty good. Obviously there are some places where he could have improved, but overall a quality documentary.

I found it a bit dumb. He said at first he wanted to eliminate stereotypes in metal, and in my opinion he just enforced them.

Heh? It was first used to describe Jimi Hendrix sir. "Like Heavy Metal Falling from the Sky."

Any who, I watched twenty minutes of this thus far, complete tripe.

I just figured it might be a little fun. I already know everything he'll cover...I've been listening to this music since the mid-70's for fucks-sake. :Smug: :lol:

I just really enjoy watching shit that deals with the music I love. So, since I'm not really looking for something that will teach me anything, I think this sounds like a decent investment. Oh...and Slipknot doesn't really need to be there.