Metal Article On CNN

Fairly interesting slant in that article, compared to the usual crap written about metal in major media. Although mentioning Six Feet Under wasn't the best way to start it off. :p

I finally went and read the article now that I had the time. It's a fairly interesting read, although the little hair I have on my head rose as I was reading More than three decades after Black Sabbath conjured images of the dark arts, heavy metal is growing up. That's a direct attack on one of our main classics music and content wise and I fail to see how a generalisation like that can still make it into critical journalism. Especially if you carry on a few paragraphs down by saying Heavy metal has always touched on social and political issues. Metal grandfathers Black Sabbath criticized the Vietnam War in songs like "War Pigs" and "Children of the Grave."
Kudos to anyone who can convince me how those two lines fit together nice and well in one and the same article, both of them coming from the same hand.

Generally speaking it's probably true kids can do with a bit of a push in the back when it comes to global awareness. However I have the instinct of stepping up for the one who's being talked down and the same goes for this article. I don't feel there's anything wrong with a bit of innocent entertainment. Not even with a bit of less innocent entertainment, for that matter, as is sometimes the case with metal, ha!

Lionfrost said:
I finally went and read the article now that I had the time. It's a fairly interesting read, although the little hair I have on my head rose as I was reading More than three decades after Black Sabbath conjured images of the dark arts, heavy metal is growing up. That's a direct attack on one of our main classics music and content wise and I fail to see how a generalisation like that can still make it into critical journalism. Especially if you carry on a few paragraphs down by saying Heavy metal has always touched on social and political issues. Metal grandfathers Black Sabbath criticized the Vietnam War in songs like "War Pigs" and "Children of the Grave."
Kudos to anyone who can convince me how those two lines fit together nice and well in one and the same article, both of them coming from the same hand.

Generally speaking it's probably true kids can do with a bit of a push in the back when it comes to global awareness. However I have the instinct of stepping up for the one who's being talked down and the same goes for this article. I don't feel there's anything wrong with a bit of innocent entertainment. Not even with a bit of less innocent entertainment, for that matter, as is sometimes the case with metal, ha!

You forget that metal isn't "growing-up," but that it's always been "grown-up." Metal has been dealing with political/philosophical and social issues since it's inception. Maybe not black, death, folk, etc as much so as Thrash, but still... Have they never heard of (classic) Metallica, Megadeth, Death, Destruction, Sodom, etc? C'mon.

That's all I'm going to say :p

Smoof said:
You forget that metal isn't "growing-up,"...
I'm not sure if you were addressing myself or the author of the article. At any rate, you're basically saying the same thing as me from where I'm standing. So yeah, I get your point and it's pretty much what I was trying to say, among other things.

Alright man, I figured we were on the same wavelength anyway. It kind of bugs me when people write contradictory things like that on in the article. Overall it was a nice read and not the usual "let's take the piss out of this goofy subculture" kind of thing.

Lionfrost said:
Alright man, I figured we were on the same wavelength anyway. It kind of bugs me when people write contradictory things like that on in the article. Overall it was a nice read and not the usual "let's take the piss out of this goofy subculture" kind of thing.

Agreed. It's nice to find someone without an ignorant view of metal. Although some of the things said in the article may not be 100% true, it's much better the the normal "Metal corrupts morals" rather than this articles view that it indeed, in some cases, has morals.