Metal as neo-Medieval Art

Scourge of God

New Metal Member
Mar 1, 2007
For the last couple of months, I've been sending music (mostly metal) to a friend and former adviser of mine from my undergrad days (in exchange, she scans all the journals she has access to that I would like to read in the comfort of my own home, but don't have the hundreds of dollars required to subscribe to them). Yesterday, she sent me an interesting comment (apparently percolating for a while, though immediately precipitated by listening to Vikinligr Veldi):

"You know, a lot of the metal you've sent me sounds like medieval music if you pay attention just to the melody lines."

I found it pretty interesting, because it paralleled some of my own recent thoughts. Metal is often treated as a neo-Romantic artform. This view has been, of course, popularized within the metal community by Spinoza Ray Prozak and ANUS.com, but outside observers (notably sociologist Deena Weinstein) have also commented on the convergence of metal and Romantic art. The equation of metal and Romanticism is, I think, fundamentally sound. However, there's a strong case to be made that metal goes beyond the Romantic fascination with the medieval past to actually embracing ideals that are consonant with the beliefs that permeated the medieval world.

dance_de.jpg

The Dance of Death (1493)​

Decidedly medieval themes were central to the genre from its earliest days. Black Sabbath's classic albums were littered with songs that read more like 14th century sermons adapted to a world of atomic arms and injection drugs than 20th century rock songs. Songs like "Black Sabbath," "War Pigs," "Electric Funeral," "Hand of Doom," and "Children of the Grave" display a sense, not only of the inevitability of death, but also of its looming imminence. Like the itinerate preachers of the plague years, metal is keen to remind us that death will come for us all, and it could come at any moment through songs like Hellhammer's "Triumph of Death" and Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls."

02e_1400.jpg

Illustration from Betwyx the Body and Wormes (15th Century)​

Metal's treatment of death in general is strongly medieval in its tone. Where 'death' often appears in Romantic art as a metaphor for social ills or the sublimation of the personal will in Modern life, metal has largely adopted the medieval iconography of death. Metal is not concerned with death as symbol or allegory, but with the fundamental realness of death. Like the transi tombs and litanies of the tortures of the damned common in the late middle ages, depictions of death in metal are often focused on the practical mechanics of dismemberment, disease and decay, and shy away from the comfortable euphamisms of a culture in denial of death.

medievalarchitecture02.jpg

Satan's Tortures (12th Century)​

More medieval parallels can be seen in metal's fascination with the occult. The occult was, of course, also a common theme in Romantic art, but occultism in metal draws on typically medieval archetypes - Satanism and Germanic paganism - rather than the Masonic ritualism and Hellenistic hermeticism more typical of the Romantics (though it should be noted that the arch-Romantic Wagner also made great use of medieval occult imagery). Despite the occasional penetration of LaVeyan Satanism, for the most part, metal's 'Satan' is the Satan of the medieval popular imagination: a horned entity of enormous power locked in struggle with the deity for domination of the universe, not the urbane gentleman of Romantics or the Rolling Stones.

spears.jpg

Detail from the Bayeux Tapestry (late 11th century)​

Metal's iconography and ideals are rooted almost entirely in the cultures of the European middle ages. Metal - like the chivalric codes of the high middle ages and pagan epics of the early medieval period - celebrates the cult of the warrior. Its virtues are the virtues of a warrior: honor, fearlessness in the face of death, and the heroic will to live out one's purpose in a violent world. Its vices are the vices of those without the courage to live as warriors: weakness, misplaced mercy, falsity and dissimulation. Its master icons are war, death and the sword. Its goal to build temples to transcendent belief from raw materials of the crudest sort.

chartres%204.jpg

Interior view, Chartres Cathedral (12th-13th centuries)​

im a history major and have studied a lot of medieval art as well. I like alot of this stuff as it really does represent the darker side of life in which metal certainly pertains too. A lot of the old roots of paganism and witchcraft subjects have some dark art that accompany them as well. Its crazy how long metal ideals really go back as its roots can be found in pieces like these. These are some interesting works! Thanks!

It's interesting also that the mechanics of (especially extreme) metal are reminiscent of a medieval music: a lot of modal rather than harmonic construction, polyphony, and a lot of ballad form (story) songs. Even the language of metal is heavily latinate.

Valid points indeed, i always thought that metal represented some of that stuff, but i never knew how to explain it(the Black Sabbath mention and the ''virtues'' part are very clever iyam).

Ahhh... there seems to be intelligent life here...

Great thread. The parallels are strong.

Some quick thoughts: How much of this similarity is absolutely intentional? For example, did the musical sound determine the lyrical content at the inception of metal (say, with Black Sabbath, for example) or the other way around? My understanding of Sabbath is that the sound came first, and the lyrics needed to match the feel.

What is more interesting to me is to consider the cases in which the similarities are unintentional... what does that say? Something about universality? Or is it about a sort of unconscious understanding of the relationship of certain themes with certain musical ideas/techniques.

I'm thinking that initially, with the originators of the genre (I argue, again, that this is Sabbath) there was something calculated going on. And then, as the genre progressed, it all flowed from that source. So, while it seems that these bands have an aesthetic that hearkens back to medieval music, what they are actually doing is evolving a sound put forth by Sabbath. Maybe. I don't know.

Very interesting topic!

Some more intelligent bands will base their music on the medieval times. This is absolutely not new, as well as the fact that metal is closely linked to classical music.

I think that (also) it has to do with the human psyche (of all times). Where there is stress or a society that expects you to behave or act in a certain manner, people need a vent.

It has been argued that certain tones just trigger certain feelings amongst people. Some people like that feeling, some do not.
But this has been so for hundred of years.

Indeed Black Sabbath did so (watch interview with Tony Iommi in the movie Metal: A headbangers Journey) if i am not mistaken.

Then again, two things to consider before we are taking ourselves too seriously:
1 - As Ronnie James Dio stated: Metal is just one big halloween (and he's right)
2 - Dave Lombardo (Slayer drummer) proved during a workshop that he plays a lot of Polish Polka.........................just 10 times faster...........
He showed it and indeed.........

This puts some things in a different perspective sometimes doesn't it

I'm with soundave. It's incredibly interesting and there are clear parallels, but there are also cases that are obviously just coincidence. I'd say that metal and its general aura are related to medieval art, but cannot be completely descendant from it.

I always try to add medieval tinges to my melodies on the epic songs I write. Lots of parrallel 4ths and 5ths.

Ahhh... there seems to be intelligent life here...

Great thread. The parallels are strong.

Some quick thoughts: How much of this similarity is absolutely intentional? For example, did the musical sound determine the lyrical content at the inception of metal (say, with Black Sabbath, for example) or the other way around? My understanding of Sabbath is that the sound came first, and the lyrics needed to match the feel.

What is more interesting to me is to consider the cases in which the similarities are unintentional... what does that say? Something about universality? Or is it about a sort of unconscious understanding of the relationship of certain themes with certain musical ideas/techniques.

I'm thinking that initially, with the originators of the genre (I argue, again, that this is Sabbath) there was something calculated going on. And then, as the genre progressed, it all flowed from that source. So, while it seems that these bands have an aesthetic that hearkens back to medieval music, what they are actually doing is evolving a sound put forth by Sabbath. Maybe. I don't know.

Very interesting topic!

Intentionality is always difficult to get at with art movements, because you're talking about an ideal that emerges from practice, a practice mediated not only between many 'creators' over the course of time, but, in the case of metal, also mediated between multiple audiences within a larger subculture.

I'm not sure it really matters - it's not as if medieval cultures were created consciously - people develop patterns and the patterns take on a life of their own.