Metal Band Recorded and Mixed any advice/feedback?

beau_mckee

New Metal Member
Nov 9, 2006
hey guys and girls,
i know only one post and already a thread, i have had no need to sign up earlier, but i thought id ask you guys what you thought/ or some constructive feedback of this mix i recorded for a band called Violin Skies? They sound similar to IKilledThePromQueen.

The track is called "BIRDS BIRDS BIRDS!"

www.myspace.com/violinskies

thanks guys :)

Hey man, welcome to the forum.
There's a few things that stick out in the mix that need brightening, like the vocals (both), the snare, and kick even more so, and even the guitars a slight bit. The kick needs soem of the low mids (250- 700Hz) cut so that it doesn't sound so flubby. The vocals could also use some 250- 400 Hz taken out, especially the growls. The clean voclas are out of tune, but it just sounds wierd with them so low in the mix, i'd turn them up a bit.
I would also work on the compression a bit, espeacially on the overheads/ final mix bus.

Good luck with it, I hope you get some more replies.

Thanks guys for the good feedback. yeah unfortunately my studio is a little limited at the moment so midi drums it is, but hey, im pretty sure that the ALL SHALL PERISH drummer didnt play on that recording, its too precise and brutal. Im recording another song on saturday, we'll see how that goes wthi my new advice!

Beau

I think overall for a demo this is decent. If your just looking to get your music out and heard I think this will do just fine dude! Depending on how many songs and the length, sell it for a few bucks and give a bunch away to to get your band heard.

I am not a big fan of the clean vocals but the heavy vocals and screams are perfect!!!

Peter

This isnt actaully my band, it is a friends band i recorded for them! Its the first song ive used BFD with, after purchasing BFD im not planning on buying another one.... so time will tell if i can get my hands on DFHS.......(torrents)