Metal Church news !!!

Insania said:
Yes--

It seems most of you prefer the Howe vocals, but I would take Wayne. I have every recorded CD and the live one that came out a few years back.

Interesting about the average-ness of the members, while I haven't thought about that before, I see the point. There really isn't anything musically that puts this band over the top, but they are still one of my favs.

The thing I like about this band is that the name, titles, song subjects/lyrics, and LEADS are the epitome of metal IMO. Just in-your-face cool shit!!
I do prefer Howe, but the truth is whether people want to waste time arguing about who was better, Metal Church fans were really lucky in the fact that both line-ups were really good. I'm not saying you were doing that at all, as you were just making a statement, but I have seen it done. Metal Church kicked ass with both vocalists I just preferred Howe.
I wasn't knocking Wells or Marshall when I was talking about their musicianship. Mick Mars is a below average guitarist as far as being "technical"
but Mick is one of the most instantly recognizable guitarists I know of. I hear three chords of a new Crue song and I know who it is. Wells and Marshall played well together and also had a great sound that helped Metal CHurch become a minor powerhouse in metal, but they were neither very technical nor were they songwriters. Most of the songwriting was done by Vanderhoof, with Howe (Howe era obviously) on "Badlands" and I think Howe also wrote some more on the later albums as well, but Vanderhoof was the primary writer and riff-meister, so that is why I consider him the "core" of the band along with Arrington.
Kirk (Arrington) is not a songwriter, but he was the member of the band that was rather technical and gave them a unique edge in the musicianship department. Kirk was/is a master of the ride cymbal. He did a lot of time skipping on that ride and was also extremely profecient at single bass and trips quads etc. He was up there with the drummers of the time period like Ulrich, Lombardo etc.
Being a huge fan of MC, I will miss Duke, Marshall and Wells, but I think the powerful drumming, unique guitar riffing and songwriting were three key elements of the Metal Church "sound" and with Arrington and Vanderhoof still in the picture, that could still happen.

Bryant

Bryant said:
... Most of the songwriting was done by Vanderhoof, with Howe (Howe era obviously) on "Badlands" and I think Howe also wrote some more on the later albums as well, but Vanderhoof was the primary writer and riff-meister, so that is why I consider him the "core" of the band along with Arrington.
Kirk (Arrington) is not a songwriter, but he was the member of the band that was rather technical and gave them a unique edge in the musicianship department. Kirk was/is a master of the ride cymbal. He did a lot of time skipping on that ride and was also extremely profecient at single bass and trips quads etc. He was up there with the drummers of the time period like Ulrich, Lombardo etc...
Bryant
Badlands... Man, I haven't played Blessing in a while, I think I still only have that one on tape... That riff that starts right after "Have the Badlands won?" -- one of the best ever laid down. I would say that this album is the best of the Howe era, and the more I think about songs like Unsound Mind and Rest in Pieces? this was one kickass record. I don't think much about drumming in most metal, usually only if it's so bad that it stands out:D , so I'll have to consider your comments when I listen to them again.

It's probably because the first two cuts on the self-titled Metal Church album is just so damn good that I say I prefer Wayne...

My last issue of BW&BK, I couldn't find info on an upcoming release, and there's no info on any MC site that I can find, so I'm curious to know where this was reported...either way this is great news, because even if it doesn't sound like MC of old, we can be assured that it will still be metal in the old-school vein:headbang:

Insania said:
My last issue of BW&BK, I couldn't find info on an upcoming release, and there's no info on any MC site that I can find, so I'm curious to know where this was reported...either way this is great news, because even if it doesn't sound like MC of old, we can be assured that it will still be metal in the old-school vein:headbang:
One of my friends Torben Askolm (lead vocalist of Anibus Gate) posted that on a newsletter I subscribe to. orben has forgotten more about metal, especially oldschool and Euro metal than most will ever know. Torben is pretty straight up as well so I am sure the information is valid. The fact that MC is looking for a record contract might be why it's not published in many sources.

Bryant

Insania said:
Badlands... this was one kickass record. I don't think much about drumming in most metal, usually only if it's so bad that it stands out:D , so I'll have to consider your comments when I listen to them again.
You don't have to be a drummer (as I am not one) to appreciate his work. His best work is on the half-ballad, "Anthem of the Estranged." He doesn't play anything for the first third of the song, but once he starts, if you pay attention, his work is incredible on there. Of course he has a drum solo on the disc as well, so obviously he was appreciated by the band. >:p~

Bryant