metal covers

Death - Painkiller
Dimmu Borgir - Metal Heart
Marduk - Phantasm
Anaal Nathrakh - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Those are all great.
I guess they all owe it to the greatness of the original songs.

Some of my favorites:

Decapitated - Mandatory Suicide
At The Gates - The Antichrist
Cannibal Corpse - No Remorse
Aborted - Carnal Forge
The Bezerker - Corpral Jigsore Quandary
Hypocrisy - Black Magic
Vader - Hell Awaits

This is a good thread, but I think it would be good if you put the origina band in brackets, because one or two of them I don't know who did the song originally.

TB666 said:
Otyg - Holy diver.
This one is great.

And I add in no particular order :
Emperor - A fine day to die (Bathory)
Sepultura - Orgasmatron (Motörhead)
Death - Painkiller (Judas Priest)
Dark tranquility - 22 acacia avenue (Iron Maiden)

Spirit In Black said:
Some of my favorites:

Decapitated - Mandatory Suicide
Cannibal Corpse - No Remorse
Aborted - Carnal Forge
The Bezerker - Corpral Jigsore Quandary

I also like:
Vader - Flag of Hate
Dying Fetus - Born in a Casket

i dont really like em, but man cradle of filth owned hallowed be thy name, and hatebreed does a little bit of slayer - raining blood live, i like that a lot.

Death - Painkiller (Badass opening shriek)

Metallica - Stone Cold Crazy (Always thought this Queen song would sound good if it were played in a style that was more...well, metal)

Dream Theater - Red Barchetta (Good rendition of the rush track...vocals were a little crappy in some spots but good overall)

Macabre - Jeffrey Dahmer And The Chocolate Factory (Not really a cover, just a rendition of the willy wonka tune....hilarious stuff)

Iced Earth - Transylvania (Would of preferred Phantom Of The Opera, it's a better Maiden instrumental, but this was still dead-on)

Iced Earth - Screamin For Vengeance (Didn't know Barlow could do such a killer job with Halfords higher pitched style, kudos to him)

Iced Earth - Hallowed Be Thy Name (Sure, doesn't top the original, but adds a little more metal to a classic and good god, what a vocal performance again by Barlow.)

Anthrax - Phantom Lord (Kickass Thrash!)

Anthrax - Bring The Noise (Not sure if this could be considered a full cover, or even if some would consider it metal, but it kicked ass either way)

Blind Guardian - Mr. Sandman (It's \m/with a :) )

Engrave - Evil Has No Bounderies (Fuck yeah)

Opeth - Remember Tomorrow (Excellent)

I think I like Dan Seagrave's coveres the best. The covers for Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane, Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines, and all the Immolation covers are cool too, but I don't know who did them.